ADVERTISEMENT

DrummBeat: A more In-depth follow up to Parker’s note on Taylor Tatum(Tues 10:45 am)

Brandon Drumm

Co-Publisher OUinsider.com
Staff
Apr 28, 2023
Mustang (OK)
ouinsider.com
*** I spoke to sources on the baseball side of things, along with the football side over the last 12 hours or so.

What I have been told is that Tatum had a huge awakening when visiting OU. Sources told me that baseball Skip Johnson, Player Personnel Ryan Gaines, and Sooners associate head coach Reggie Willits really added to what Sooners RB coach Demarco Murray and OC Jeff Lebby has been pushing.

*** Obviously, the USC football staff was the ones that dealt with Kyler Murray and his time juggling both sports. With that info known, it’s also obvious that USC has been using that as a big focal point in recruiting Tatum.

The problem with that is the Sooners baseball team was one of the major reasons that worked, and that has been very boldly stated to Tatum and his family as well. One source broke it down and told OUinsider, “That era with Kyler [Murray] doesn’t take place or go as well as it did if (OU Baseball) didn’t get as creative as (they) did,” a source with knowledge of it all told OUinsider. “(OU baseball) still has how it went down and was done. Tatum was showed how all that what was done so Kyler do what he did. And it was very difficult because it took a lot of juggling on (OU baseball) side of things.

“Football had a strict schedule and couldn’t be moved for one guy, but (OU baseball) got it done by really finding ways to make sure he had certain times to practice certain things and be around the program,” the source added.

I’m told that was very eye-opening to Tatum and his family. So much that Coach Willits and Tatum’s father have also hit it off and become fairly close. A source added on that, saying, “Those two have been talking daily since. Demarco[Murray] has such a strong relationship with Tatum and his dad, but Coach [Reggie] Willits has been right there in that as well. That family loves what he and Coach [Skip] Johnson can do for Tatum development wise, too.”

*** So with OU starting to make a run for the number one running back in 2024, and one if the top center fielders in the nation, where does that put things? Sources around the Switzer Center and OU baseball program feel things are starting trend well for Oklahoma.

Some even feel OU leads, but that’s something we are still working on confirming, because I also know USC feels good about things still. So this battle is still ongoing.

*** However, with Tatum canceling his Michigan visit, you have to feel a decision comes sooner rather later. One source even added on that, saying, “This feels like if a decision happens in the next week or two, it could be a good thing for OU with Tatum having just coming off the visit.”

Still, with both sides (OU and USC) exuding confidence at this time, you have to tread lightly and that is why I have yet to put an FC in for the four-star RB either way.

The good news for OU is that this thing felt like a foregone conclusion (to USC) heading into his OV with the Sooners. It’s now changed drastically to where OU has made this one at the very least interesting.

*** Also, when you talk about location, I’m told Oklahoma is where mom and dad feel very comfortable. Still, as I have reported the last few weeks, it’s going to Tatum’s decision in the end. It’s basically a matter of a small town, East Texas kid feeling at home in Norman/OKC or LA. On its face, you’d instantly say OKC/Norman, but LA can get you and with USC’s baseball history, along with Lincoln Riley’s offense, you have to take a step back evaluate it a bit deeper, in my opinion.

All that said, sources in Norman feels the smaller OKC metro, and the 4.5 hour drive to OU, could be one of the deciding factors down the stretch.

*** Finally, I don’t know how much longer this recruitment lasts, but it does feel like it’s coming to an end. I wouldn’t be shocked if there was a decision as early as today or sometime over the next 10 days. It’s that up and a down on when people feel it might happen. But it’s gonna happen soon enough and before this weekend we all thought it was USC or bust.

My how that has changed in a matter of 72hrs…

More to come as Parker and I continue to dig. Either way it goes, we just wanted you all as informed as possible.

Stay tuned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News