ADVERTISEMENT

DrummBeat: A few scrimmage notes ( UPDATED SAT 4:10 pm... extensive)

Brandon Drumm

Co-Publisher OUinsider.com
Staff
Apr 28, 2023
Mustang (OK)
ouinsider.com
Update Sat 4:10 PM

*** Okay, so I’ve spoken to a few people about the scrimmage. Here is what I have been told:

*** First, I’m told they didn’t pass the ball much. A source said, “working on physicality on both sides of the ball and the staff wanted to set the tone in scrimmage one.”

*** Secondly, I was told there were some “nicks and bruises” but not much more was said on that front. I will add that we have heard there may be an injury at WR and a minor one on OL, but the OL one shouldn’t be much, according to sources, and the WR injury isn’t to a starter. We will let BV dive into that stuff. We try and stay away from the injury info when we can do so.

*** I’m told the running backs and QB Dillon Gabriel were really good today. Also, I’m told TE Austin Stogner had a good day. One source told OUinsider, “He improved so much with his run blocking,” the source said of Stogner. “He is a force in the run game now.”

I’m told Stogner also caught two passes and one was, gasp, over the middle for about 15 yards.

*** Another skills position guy that had a big day was transfer WR Andrel Anthony. A source told OUinsider that Anthony had “two long pass receptions and both went for TDs.”

*** The other WRs I have heard caught a few passes today were Drake Stoops, Jalil Farooq, Nic Anderson (who had a big play for a TD), and Gavin Freeman. I’m sure there were others, so don’t take this as WR had a bad day collectively. OU didn’t pass much, so that has a lot to do with low numbers in receptions, etc.

Side Note: Spoke to a few more folks, and was told that Jackson Arnold had a really solid day as well. Was also told, “[Andrel] Anthony and Nic Anderson were the guys that made the biggest plays for TDs in the passing game.”

Regarding the run game and running backs, I have been told that Gavin Sawchuk and Jovantae Barnes didn’t go live much, if at all, today( Both are fine. Just precaution and rest, I’m told). Was told the majority of the run game reps went to Marcus Major and Tawee Walker. Both had excellent days, I am told. All of that talk somewhat solidifies what we continue to hear about the depth in the RB room.

Lastly, was told that Dylan Smothers was back out there today, so I can confirm that much, as an OUinsider member, @Crimson Tory, did ask me to double-check that for you all.

*** Defensively, we told you earlier that Danny Stutsman is at MLB (some) right now. That means Jaren Kanak is getting work at the WILL (some). Stutsman is getting his feet wet a bit with different keys and reads, so I’m told it’s a matter of his “eyes getting adjusted.”

I will also add that I don’t expect, as of today, to see Stutsman at MIKE all the time. Not saying it won’t happen and be a permanent move, but right now it seems like Brent Venables and company are tinkering with things, as they generally do in fall camp. We will know for sure come game one.

*** The DL has been good, but a source told me today, “That group has a lot to clean up there, but you can see what they can be as a unit once everything gets put all together.”

*** Another source told me that the Sooners OL was good today, but that the DL did give them fits at times. The name Trace Ford continues to be one that we hear about a lot. A source told me today, “That dude's get-off is insanely quick. It’s very much like what people saw with [Nic] Bonitto a few years ago. He is quick.”

*** I am also told the Sooners worked a ton on short yardage and that when they did that Sooners freshman QB Jackson Arnold spelled starter Dillon Gabriel some (SOMEwant you all to not overly dramatize this) there with the ones. Most everyone says Arnold is as good as you get as a backup right now, and they also state that [Dillon] Gabriel continues to show mass improvements in several areas of his game. Now, as I noted last night in team notes, they need to be seen on the field.

*** Finally, I am told that corner is Woodi Washington and Gentry Williams, with Makari Vickers spelling Williams “a few times” with the ones today.

*** More on the CBs, and I can’t confirm anything on this just yet, but I was also given the impression that Josiah Wagoner didn’t play today, but also was given the impression it wasn’t a huge deal that he didn’t participate. Something I need to dive a bit more into.

Even if Wagoner didn’t participate, sources I speak with feel Gentry Williams will be hard to overthrow there, and one source even said, “That guy is so much more physical this season. He comes down and fills his run fits with force,” the source said of the sophomore DB. “That was a knock on him a bit last year. Williams just added weight and some confidence. Goes a long way.”

*** All in all, it does sound like the offense may have had the better day, but knowing what we know about the Sooners OL, QBs, RBs, TE, and a few of the WRs, it’s not that shocking. Most would suspect that OU might have one of the better offenses in the Big 12, if not college football this year, as long as they stay healthy. So, considering the defense did make some plays, and most felt the defense played pretty well today, I think we are starting to see some of the transformations of the 2023 team. But team 129 still has a long way to go, and anyone you talk with would tell you that — on both sides of the ball. The good news is they will scrimmage three or four more times before the season starts, so lots of improvements can be made between now and then.

*** We will have more on this as the weekend progresses and also get to speak with the staff and players about this in media availability on Monday. We should have some quotes for you all on the scrimmage then from Brent Venables or a coordinator or two on the record.

Stay tuned for more.

*** I will be updating this post as I get information. Each update will be notated in the title. I’m sorry I haven’t had this up earlier, I was in an appt with the wife but wanted to get this going earlier.

*** Having said that, I’m told they are trying to end around 12:30-ish…

*** Also, I was told via text this morning that OU is tinkering with Danny Stutsman at the Mike LB. Excited to hear from BV and others on why that move is being done, but my guess is that with Jaren Kanak’s ability in space, and Stutsman’s understanding of the defense, it is a move that BV and company want to try out with position swaps.

Notoriously, he has had his defensive leader at the Mike backer, so it makes sense.

Side note: Source this morning said this took place earlier this week, but was implemented heavily over the last few days and in particular the scrimmage to see it live and in action.

I’ll see what I can find out on a bit more. So stay tuned to this thread.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News