ADVERTISEMENT

DrummBeat: A few notes on Taylor Tatum, Samaj Jones, and Michael Boganowski (Friday 10:25 pm)

Brandon Drumm

Co-Publisher OUinsider.com
Staff
Apr 28, 2023
Mustang (OK)
ouinsider.com
*** A real quick note on 2024 four-star RB Taylor Tatum:

A source that I spoke with earlier today told me that Oklahoma has been in constant contact with the Longview (TX) RB and his family the last few days. The source also noted that after a few days of silence, Tatum spoke with Trojans head coach Lincoln Riley on Wednesday evening and Thursday evening. Afterward, I am told that Tatum and Sooners RB coach Demarco Murray and OC Jeff Lebby had a few good conversations with the four-star RB. So, his communication with USC hasn't been without the Sooners also getting to talk with the elite RB before or after.

Another source that I spoke with on Thursday afternoon told me, "Things are moving in the right direction for (OU), but now it's getting Taylor [Tatum] through that keyhole and a decision finalized," the source said of the Sooners' chances right now. "He and his family have been great (with OU), but until a final decision is done, it's not something anyone (in the Switzer Center) is taking for granted. (OU) still feels good about (their) chances, though."

A final source that also has direct knowledge was little bit more confident in the Sooners' chances and stated very exuberantly, "Tatum will be a Sooner!" .

Now, I am not there yet with that much vigor behind my confidence, but this source has some really strong connections in all of this, and they feel that way for a reason, so I would have to believe it has some merit behind the statement. That said, it's recruiting and you all have seen sure things turn in a matter for minutes before. So, I caution you all to not get too overzealous about this just yet, with Riley and USC doing all they can to stop the Sooners' momentum and swing it back into their favor one way or another.

Outside of baseball and football, family is very important to him and his sister, and the four-star RB are as close as they come. That said, sources feel as if the family, and his sister -- who is a year or so older than Tatum -- would prefer him in Norman. And with his first love being baseball, along with the Sooners headed to the SEC, there are a few more things that are trending in the Sooners' favor with Tatum. Because of that/them, I continue to really like the Sooners' chances with elite RB from Longview (TX), along with my FC pick at this time.

Finally, when it comes to a timeline, there are some that think this will undoubtedly happen this weekend, while others feel like this will take place more so as next week moves along. I have yet hear anyone with any confidence speak on either scenario, so I will bluntly state that I am not 100% sure on either of those timelines. Still, the one thing everyone seems to agree on is that the Sooners are feeling good about their chances, and sources that understand and know that recruitment better than most think it would be a surprise if the Sooners weren't the choice at this juncture.

Regardless, I will continue to dig on this and update you all with any bit of information we can find out. That way, you all are kept abreast of the twists and turns, if we can pass them along.

*** Another target that seems to be getting closer to a decision is 2024 three-star QB Samaj Jones.

I spoke to a neutral source today that told me it seemed to be a two-team race between the Sooners and West Virginia right now.

The source also spoke about why WVU was such a player and told me, "Some feel that WVU is the favorite, but the situation at OU is definitely worth watching," they told OUinsider. "It's more about Samaj [Jones] knowing he is a second QB and uncertainty on how much that plays into things. Especially with Jones having a ton of connections with the Mountaineers. The biggest problem with them is that their coach is on the hot seat this year, so it's a tricky situation all the way around."

On the flip side of things, sources around Norman feel somewhat confident in the Sooners' chances with Jones. One source with direct knowledge told OUinsider, "He's been great (in talking with OU) and so has several important people around Samaj [Jones]. And he's getting close to a decision so (OU) just needs to continue hitting all the right chords with him, because his official was as good as it gets (at OU) and it helped out a ton."

I have been close to putting in a Rivals Future Cast for OU for awhile now, but no matter the confidence coming out of Norman with Jones, I just can't get past what WVU feels as well. And when you add the location and some of his connections to the Mountaineers program, there is just some hesitation on my part.

Still, the fact the Sooners are pushing hard for a second QB in '24 shows the recruiting acumen of Jeff Lebby and the Sooners' staff. That's why I won't be shocked either way this turns out, with Oklahoma having an uphill battle to start, but they also have now solidified themselves as a major player for the QB from the City of Brotherly Love.

Lastly, don't underestimate the Jalen Hurts factor here. Jones is a huge Eagles and Hurts fan, and he has a lot of traits that Hurts possessed in high school and college. Because of that, there is a lot of intrigue with him toward Oklahoma. The question will be if the Sooners can convince Jones that he has a chance to compete for the starting spot at OU, and that he fits what the Sooners want in a QB moving forward. So far so good, but with WVU making their final push as well, things are getting very, very intriguing down the stretch of Jones' recruitment. Can the Sooners pull off another QB in the '24 class, or will WVU and those connections there be too much for OU to overcome?

It's that close and thus my why I have yet to make a pick. So, stay tuned...

*** Lastly, Sooners four-star safety target Michael Boganowski is taking his final OV to K-State before a decision is made in the days/weeks that follow. Boganowski was at FSU in the middle of the week, and before that, he obviously took an OV to Oklahoma.

I spoke with Boganowski's dad, Mike Sr., about the Sooners and FSU visit, and the elder Boganowski told OUinsider, "The visit to OU was awesome, man! Really awesome," Mike Sr. told OUinsider. "Everything about that was visit was so comfortable. It fits us but we also liked the Florida State visit. The staff there was amazing and it's got some pop to the campus and facilities for sure at FSU."

I asked the difference in facilities at OU and FSU and he said, "I think there is just some flash that FSU has that wasn't at OU. I know OU is getting there with the near 200 million dollar football ops building they have planned to start soon enough," the elder Boganowski told me. "But at OU it was just fun, and like I said, we all felt at home with the place. The staff in Norman is so genuine. From Brandon Hall to coach Brent Venables, they were all real and have always been that way with us. You just know you're not getting any BS with them. That resonates with me and the family, and Michael in particular."

So now that they are at K-State this weekend, what is the expectation there? And with Coach Steve Stanard (Kstate LB coach) having coached and recruited Mike Sr. in college, is there any added advantage there for the Wildcats? Mike Sr. was adamant that isn't the case and was pretty descriptive, saying, "It would be unfair to put that level of expectation on the OU, FSU, Nebraska or Stanford staffs," he said. "That's nearly 30 years of relationship building there, so in a way there is something to Mike playing for the same guy that I did. However, you can't look at it like that and I would never put myself or that as main pieces in his decision. Meaning I don't think that you can use that in this process too much because it clouds everything else."

Still, relationships and trust are two of the biggest factors in Bogo's recruitment, so how has OU done in that aspect? Again, MIke Sr. seemed to feel the OU staff has been working on the relationship front really hard, and said, "That's why we love the Sooners staff so much. They have been clear to us about where Mike will play and how he will be used from day one. No changing. Just straight forward. So as much as you can build a relationship in much shorter time, they have done just that. But again, for anyone to be compared to my former coach, and how deep we go back, would be a hinderance to my kid and the process. And the process is what we are going by. We set our process up and we have yet to deter from it. And we don't plan to, either. It's gotten us here and has really helped us weed out a lot in his recruitment."

So, where will things end up and how do we see this playing out?

I know K-State feels good about things, much like the Sooners. This weekend will play a huge role in where things end up with Boganowski, and when you put the location of the Wildcats' campus being just 20 miles away from his home in Junction City -- along the family's relationship with KSU LB coach, Steve Stanard -- it seems Oklahoma and OU safety coach Brandon Hall need the Sooners OV to keep resonating when the weekend is over. Basically, if the Sooners can hold off the hometown Wildcats, and defending Big 12 Champs, this one would seem to trending in the Sooners' favor. If the Wildcats hit a home run on this weekend's OV with Boganowski, it may be too much for the Sooners to overcome.

All that said, I have a Future Cast in for the Sooners right now, and I still like where OU is at -- heading into the final of week of June -- with the four-star safety. But if myself or Parker start to hear some news on the K-State side that changes that feeling, we will update you all accordingly.

As for now, with OU feeling good, and us not hearing anything to make us think it's trending away from the Sooners, OU fans should feel this has at least a decent chance at ending well for OU.

Still... Stay tuned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News