ADVERTISEMENT

DrummBeat: A few notes from Nigel Smith and Owen Hollenbeck

Brandon Drumm

Co-Publisher OUinsider.com
Staff
Apr 28, 2023
Mustang (OK)
ouinsider.com
*** Oklahoma is very high on 2025 Melissa (TX) OL Owen Hollenbeck.

I spoke with the fast-rising 2025 OL, after Melissa’s win tonight, and Hollenbeck said he would be in Norman tomorrow on an unofficial visit. That means we can add Hollenbeck to an already distinguished visitor list.

More to come after his visit.

*** Finally, what a get for the Sooners tonight after 2024 (82nd ranked overall player in the nation) four-star DL Nigel Smith committed to Oklahoma.

The commitment video was creative and well-done. That said, after talking to Smith after Melissa’s win, I came away feeling that between him, Jayden Jackson and David Stone, the Sooners have a decent chance with guys committed elsewhere. The Rivals100 DL commit told OUinsider that he will behind working on flipping several players. Those players committed elsewhere, that’s Smith wants to flip, include elite 2024 DL Dominick McKinley and five-star DE Williams Nwaneri.

On that front, Smith added, “My goal is to help flip several guys to Oklahoma,” Smith said. “Dominick [McKinley], Zina [Umeozulu]… man he was close. And Williams [Nwaneri]. I have had good conversations with all of them and will be ramping it up.”

I did ask about 2024 four-star LB Peyton Pierce on and off-camera as well. Smith was adamant each time that Pierce “isn’t flipping from Ohio State.”

Lastly, we told you all Penn State was the team way up there with A&M and OU. The reason is because Smith has some family in PSU’s area. He told me that it was hard telling them it was OU, but in the end, he was relieved to have the process over.

We will have more coverage and quotes later on, with Smith talking on and off-camera. We will have a full on-camera video interview coming that you all won’t want to miss as well.

Oh, and Nigel Smith will be in Norman tomorrow.

*** Oklahoma is now 7th overall in Rivals team ranking.

OU is also 8th in composite rankings, with a lot left to do to close out this 2024 class. Should be a fun fall on the field and on the recruiting trail and I hope you stick with OUinsider for the latest.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News