18. Wisconsin (6-3)

19. Purdue (6-3)

20. Iowa (7-2)

21. Pittsburgh (7-2)

22. San Diego State (8-1)

23. UTSA (9-0)

24. Utah (6-3)

25. Arkansas (6-3)

Not surprised. The committee is just waiting for OU to lose. If we don’t, we will move way up. OU needs to kick ass Saturday.

The kicker is how they put Michigan above Michigan St. Do these people know what they are doing?
At any rate most of it will all come out in the wash. Just gotta win out and win convincingly and see what happens.

Had to make another meme.

🤣🤣🤣
FDzRj6RWQAABfL9

My problem is the statement the committee made saying they out Michigan ahead of MSU because they believed Michigan was better. That leaves the question of why the heck these kids play the games then. That’s more frustrating than anything else

Reactions: 22LR
My problem is the statement the committee made saying they out Michigan ahead of MSU because they believed Michigan was better. That leaves the question of why the heck these kids play the games then. That’s more frustrating than anything else

Its because Michigan and Ohio St are the bigger names from the Big. The Committee would love to have either one in the CFP but Michigan St doesn't excite anyone. They also have that
38-0 Playoff Loss to Bama in 2015. I think they likely look at them like they do OU at this point, past Playoff Blowout Losses likely on their minds. Shouldn't be a factor for getting in but I bet it is.

I can't fault the committee for not being impressed with OU being 9-0 given the way OU has played so far against lesser opponents.
OU has made its own bed.
A strong finish comparable to a year ago is critical to win the committee over.

If OU beats BU this weekend the next poll will tell us all everything we need about this committee. If we only move up 1 or not at all it may not matter if our Sooners win out.

I will be a big Purdue fan this weekend

Reactions: iasooner2000
The kicker is how they put Michigan above Michigan St. Do these people know what they are doing?
At any rate most of it will all come out in the wash. Just gotta win out and win convincingly and see what happens.
I doubt it Bama should've dropped Michigan State should've dropped further then they did but it is what it is OU has a chance to move up by beating hopefully in dominating fashion Baylor this weekend.

College football has become too much a game of "style points" than it is about just winning games.
But I do think that OU, record aside, is not yet a playoff worthy team. Hopefully, the next three weeks will change my thinking.
And sportsmanship becomes more and more an obsolete ("old school") ideology, now with required running up scores, all-about-me taunts/celebrations and celebrating injuries of opposing players.

Sooners need to prove that they are a real #4 team granted. But Oregon sure as hell is not in that position. Ohio State is a strange pick to rise. Michigan and Michigan State sure are not worthy. Is this the Playoff Committee feeling sorry for the Big 10 who shot themselves in CoVid poor decisions last year? I get the feeling this has become an agenda. Then ESPN feeding this agenda. Sooners and Bearcats have no losses. Perfect seasons so far...just not great performances.

Sooners need to prove that they are a real #4 team granted. But Oregon sure as hell is not in that position. Ohio State is a strange pick to rise. Michigan and Michigan State sure are not worthy. Is this the Playoff Committee feeling sorry for the Big 10 who shot themselves in CoVid poor decisions last year? I get the feeling this has become an agenda. Then ESPN feeding this agenda. Sooners and Bearcats have no losses. Perfect seasons so far...just not great performances.
I believe the head of the committee, Barta, is the AD from Iowa...just saying.

Iowa athletic director Gary Barta says OU's "defensive struggles throughout the year certainly was discussed” by the playoff committee.
JOSEPH CRESS/IOWA CITY PRESS-CITIZEN

Here are the 13 members of the 2021 College Football Playoff committee:
  • Mitch Barnhart, Kentucky athletics director
  • Gary Barta, Iowa athletics director (Chair)
  • Paola Boivin, Arizona State professor
  • Tom Burman, Wyoming athletics director
  • Charlie Cobb, Georgia State athletics director
  • Boo Corrigan, NC State athletics director
  • Rick George, Colorado athletics director
  • Will Shields, former Nebraska offensive lineman
  • Gene Taylor, Kansas State athletics director
  • Joe Taylor, Vice President for Athletics and Community Wellness, Virginia Union University
  • John Urschel, former Penn State offensive lineman
  • Rod West, group president Entergy Corporation
  • Tyrone Willingham, former head coach at Stanford, Notre Dame and Washington

• Sad
Reactions: iasooner2000
I have always thought this committee thing was stupid. Never did understand why they went away from the old BCS way of doing things.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
Iowa athletic director Gary Barta says OU's "defensive struggles throughout the year certainly was discussed” by the playoff committee.

• Joe Taylor, Vice President for Athletics and Community Wellness, Virginia Union University
And don't think the AD from KSU is arguing too hard to a Big 12 school on the way out. I also am starting to believe these early rankings are done in a way to keep people talking. Just funny when they paint themselves into a verbal corner.

Big 10 circle jerker...Iowa #20. GTFU

Some of you guys must be addicted to wailing and gnashing of teeth. It doesn't matter right now because there's football left to be played. They only do these early polls so that the ESPNs et al have something to talk about. It serves no other purpose. That said, I would argue that if the season ended today, OU wouldn't belong. Their resume' sucks and the margin of victory and quality of play over inferior opponents is disturbing. But the season doesn't end today and OU has one of the toughest, if not THE toughest schedule going forward. If they win them all, they're in, no matter what else happens.

If you want to worry about something out of your control, worry about them winning the rest of their games.

Some of you guys must be addicted to wailing and gnashing of teeth. It doesn't matter right now because there's football left to be played. They only do these early polls so that the ESPNs et al have something to talk about. It serves no other purpose. That said, I would argue that if the season ended today, OU wouldn't belong. Their resume' sucks and the margin of victory and quality of play over inferior opponents is disturbing. But the season doesn't end today and OU has one of the toughest, if not THE toughest schedule going forward. If they win them all, they're in, no matter what else happens.

If you want to worry about something out of your control, worry about them winning the rest of their games.

I would imagine, like myself, the inconsistency is the issue.

Cincinnati struggled again yet move up.
Bama and Ohio State struggle but stay put or move up. So if Oklahoma is going to be punished for winning close games, shouldn't everybody. At some point being unbeaten should count. That goes for Cincy as well.

So much football to be played before we get overly concerned about OU's chances.
Georgia will likely face Alabama in the SEC title game.
Alabama has games with Arkansas and away vs Auburn.
Cincinnati plays a good SMU team at home.
Ohio State has Purdue, Michigan State at home and Michigan away.
Oregon has Utah away and Oregon State at home.
Oklahoma State has TCU at home two weeks before OU.

Ohio State, like OU, has a dangerous three game schedule to close out the season.
I'm waiting for November 27th to see where the dust settles.

You are correct OU's remaining schedule is ranked the toughest. I get what you are saying, I just take issue with the ridiculous method. Honestly ESPN would get their water cooler talk naturally if the committee would just be consistent and transparent.

Not worried about the rankings. I have said all along that OU has to win out and lets see what happens.
Until then talking about the rankings and laughing about them is just filler, something to do. Hopefully Riley is using it to motivate his team to take care of business. Leave no dOUbt.

I would imagine, like myself, the inconsistency is the issue.

Cincinnati struggled again yet move up.
Bama and Ohio State struggle but stay put or move up. So if Oklahoma is going to be punished for winning close games, shouldn't everybody. At some point being unbeaten should count. That goes for Cincy as well.
Cincy beat Notre Dame in South Bend. OU hasn't beaten anyone that is currently ranked. Both have crappy wins against inferior opponents. Cincy beat Tulane at Tulane by 19. OU beat Tulane in Norman by 5. Where is the inconsistency?

Cincy beat Notre Dame in South Bend. OU hasn't beaten anyone that is currently ranked. Both have crappy wins against inferior opponents. Cincy beat Tulane at Tulane by 19. OU beat Tulane in Norman by 5. Where is the inconsistency?
The teams that OU have played are 31-51 with only two teams with a winning record. I’m pretty sure this coupled with the poor defensive performances may have something to do with their ranking.

The inconsistency is Cincinnati jumping to 5th after an uninspiring win over Tulsa, there 3rd such win in a row after an initial ranking of 7th.

College football has become too much a game of "style points" than it is about just winning games.
But I do think that OU, record aside, is not yet a playoff worthy team. Hopefully, the next three weeks will change my thinking.
And sportsmanship becomes more and more an obsolete ("old school") ideology, now with required running up scores, all-about-me taunts/celebrations and celebrating injuries of opposing players.
If OU is not a playoff worthy team, then Georgia is the ONLY playoff worthy team on that list. Five 1-loss teams in front of OU is BS.

I can't fault the committee for not being impressed with OU being 9-0 given the way OU has played so far against lesser opponents.
OU has made its own bed.
A strong finish comparable to a year ago is critical to win the committee over.
But they have no blemishes.
Bama was a 28 pt fav last week and struggled.
BuckNuts looked like crap against the Huskers this after 9 weeks into the season.
There is alot of football to be played yet.
OU will have to win out to make the playoffs and if they do, there is no way at all that a 13-0 team is NOT ranked at #2 or #3.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
If OU is not a playoff worthy team, then Georgia is the ONLY playoff worthy team on that list. Five 1-loss teams in front of OU is BS.
Whether we like it or not, strength of schedule and running up scores ("style points"), are now part of the committee's formula. I don't like it, but it is what it is, and it's why OU is where it is now.
OU opponents so far have a combined W/L of 32-45, excluding the Western Carolina dwarf throwing blowout. Teams with one loss have lost to good teams: Alabama to ATM, Ohio State to Oregon, Michigan to Michigan State, Michigan State to Purdue. Alabama's close call vs LSU can't be compared to OU's close call with Kansas.
I think OU's struggle with Kansas (1-8) is the turd in the punch bowl that hurts OU the most, combined with 4 narrow escapes with Tulane (3-7), Nebraska (3-7), West Virginia (4-5), Texas (4-5).
All of this can be wiped away with OU staying unbeaten against three teams with a combined 21-6 record, including what I think may be OSU best team in at least the Mike Gundy era. "Winning ugly" against in these last three games and the Big12 Championship cannot possibly be seen as a negative equation by the playoff committee.
What's necessary now is for OU to get healthier and play better and smarter.

Whether we like it or not, strength of schedule and running up scores ("style points"), are now part of the committee's formula. I don't like it, but it is what it is, and it's why OU is where it is now.
OU opponents so far have a combined W/L of 32-45, excluding the Western Carolina dwarf throwing blowout. Teams with one loss have lost to good teams: Alabama to ATM, Ohio State to Oregon, Michigan to Michigan State, Michigan State to Purdue. Alabama's close call vs LSU can't be compared to OU's close call with Kansas.
I think OU's struggle with Kansas (1-8) is the turd in the punch bowl that hurts OU the most, combined with 4 narrow escapes with Tulane (3-7), Nebraska (3-7), West Virginia (4-5), Texas (4-5).
All of this can be wiped away with OU staying unbeaten against three teams with a combined 21-6 record, including what I think may be OSU best team in at least the Mike Gundy era. "Winning ugly" against in these last three games and the Big12 Championship cannot possibly be seen as a negative equation by the playoff committee.
OK, but Bama just escaped with a 6-point win over an LSU team that is in shambles, and lost to an unimpressive a&m team. Those other “L”s are against some pretty unimpressive teams as well. (Stanford, Purdue). And since when does a big fat “L”produce more style in the Power 5 than an undefeated season?

These rankings reflect a playoff scenario that the committee is trying to rig (2 SEC, a Big 10, and a PAC-12 team). If Bama wins out and UGA only loses to Bama, those two are in. Also, at this point, it would make no sense to jump OU over Oregon, Cincy, or any of those Big 10 teams, absent an additional loss. The committee has taken from OU the ability to control its own destiny, which is BS.

Under the current rankings, if OU can get in by winning out, then you’re telling Oregon, tOSU, Cincy, Meech, and MSU that winning out is not enough. I don’t think the committee is going to send that message.

PS: If oregon, ohiostate, cincy, Michigan, or MSU. were to win out and still get passed over by OU, do you not think they would have a valid complaint? This is exactly why it’s obvious to me that the committee is rigging things toward the result it wants with these current rankings.

Last edited:
SIL, take this up with the committee. I'm just trying to interpret the committee's reasoning on all this.
I'll disagree with you on one point and that is that OU is very much in control of its own destiny with the three very tough games and a conference title game looming. And with so much football left for the top 6-8 teams, there's every reason to think that OU can put your concerns to rest by winning out, even if all its games are nail-biters. What also makes OU's journey even harder is the resolve that Big12 teams have to punish OU for jumping to the SEC.
ATM is a good team and may be playing its best over the last 4 games. For the record, I hated the Aggies leaving the Big 12.
LSU is far removed from its greatest team of two years ago, but its game with Alabama showed me that with its coach on the hot seat against a big time rival, the Tigers played hard and determined. With three games left, LSU can be bowl eligible if they win two of those games.
Finally, if OU wins out and is not allowed in the 4-team playoff, your concerns will be spot on....and expanding the field will have to be necessary and much more logical.

SIL, take this up with the committee. I'm just trying to interpret the committee's reasoning on all this.
I'll disagree with you on one point and that is that OU is very much in control of its own destiny with the three very tough games and a conference title game looming. And with so much football left for the top 6-8 teams, there's every reason to think that OU can put your concerns to rest by winning out, even if all its games are nail-biters. What also makes OU's journey even harder is the resolve that Big12 teams have to punish OU for jumping to the SEC.
ATM is a good team and may be playing its best over the last 4 games. For the record, I hated the Aggies leaving the Big 12.
LSU is far removed from its greatest team of two years ago, but its game with Alabama showed me that with its coach on the hot seat against a big time rival, the Tigers played hard and determined. With three games left, LSU can be bowl eligible if they win two of those games.
Finally, if OU wins out and is not allowed in the 4-team playoff, your concerns will be spot on....and expanding the field will have to be necessary and much more logical.
It would be cool if one could actually take it up with the committee but not even the talking heads have the balls to challenge them and those rankings they do. Remember this is a secret meeting behind closed doors with no witnesses being able to openly report on rather or not they actually discuss teams.

Thats the issues we have as fans. Like SIL said if those other teams win out also then OU does not control its own destiny. It will be in the hands of those knuckleheads.

LSU is a shiitshow. Bama’s win over them is probably not even on par with OU’s wins over Tulane and Nebraska. And ATM is far from quality. They lost to Mississippi state for Christ’s sake. I get it, you like to be the “John McCain” around here, but your consistent white-knighting for the other side is really getting old. SMH.

Not completely true though. tOSU have struggled this year as well. Check out their scores. Bama has struggled as well.

Not completely true though. tOSU have struggled this year as well. Check out their scores. Bama has struggled as well.
Bama's opponents combined record is 44-36; that changes to 38-32 when you remove powerhouse 6-2 Mercer. Still significantly better than OU's opponents combined record.

Both teams have struggled, OU moreso I would think. That being said I think OU currently has the tiebreaker being undefeated...while Bama lost to a two loss A&M team and their backup QB.

As for the committee's arbitrary security blanket (the eye test), are they sleeping through Bama's games or does the SEC narrative continue or both?

Before anyone suggests the rankings don't matter now, or if OU wins out their in, or why get worked up about rankings...I am not. I enjoy talking sports, the back and forth, and transparency as well as accountability. The committee is not transparent and are not accountable...to anyone, not even ESPN.

I think a question worth considering is if Bama had "struggled" to a 9-0 record, and their opponents' combined record was 31-51 (like OU's), would Bama be ranked 8th by the committee? We all know the answer, but just in case, the correct answer is a resounding no.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT