Sooner starter
Oct 29, 2009
Houston, TX
Category​
Questions​
User​
Answer​
General​
Lets talk program’s status & trajectory. Let’s say 1-100 scale, Bama is a 100 - tell me where you’d have the OU program currently (may want to rank others for context) and where’d they’d be if 2021 goes like: Natty, win CFP game lose Natty (close game), lose CFP semi (close game), win B12 but miss CFP, lose B12 title game?
Alabama - 100
Clemson - 97
Ohio State - 94
Oklahoma - 92
Georgia - 89

Win an nc: 96
Nc berth: 94
Big 12/no playoffs - 91
Lose big 12 - 89​
General​
How many more Heismans does Riley produce before he leaves? Non-QBs included but if you’re feeling bold you can breakdown the Heismans by position you project.​
I'll guess three. I think two are on campus.​
General​
IF Bama is a 99 Overall in NCAA

OU is _________?​
If Bama is that high? 96.​
General​
For the 2021 OU team, if you were an OU fan, would you rather OU have the ball down four with 1:30 left in a game on its own 25 yardline (ie 75 yards to a TD ) or would you rather OU be up four with other team having the ball with 1:30 left in the game on its own 25 yardline (ie 75 yards to TD)? Why? (Basically, which unit do you trust most when the game is on the line?) Same question for the 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020 OU teams.​
Obviously the opponent is a bit determinent to this argument but I'll just pick the NC teams that year (and Bama this year) and go with it like that...

2021: Defense, more consistency and experience from level to level. Plus DL might create some issues for young QB.
2020: Defense, that unit should be the one remembered as getting OU back on track, and that OU front against Alabama OL would have been fun to watch late in the season.
2019: Offense, but it starts to get close...but...against LSU it's all just whistling past the graveyard.
2018: OFFENSE, defense was actually better toward the end of that year. Not GOOD by any stretch of the imagination but made a few stops.
2017: OFFENSE, if I never have to see that defense again...to think that offense was so good it was almost good enough to overcome how bad that defense was.​
General​
Choose a Talking Heads song for each position unit.​
I absolutely cannot pretend that I know the Talking Heads well enough to enter into this exercise but I do find it hilarious as a potential idea.

I'll Audible and go with the band that I do know well enough to attempt this game.​
General​
same exercise for each Big 12 team.​
Oklahoma - "Immigrant Song"
Iowa State - "D'yer Maker"
Texas - "Rock and Roll"
Oklahoma State - "Heartbreaker"
Texas Tech - "Tangerine"
Baylor - "What is and What Should Never Be"
Kansas - "Babe I'm gonna leave you"
Kansas State - "Good Times Bad Times"
West Virginia - "Over the Hills and Far Away"
TCU - "Dazed and Confused"

Special write in - Texas A&M - "Hey, hey, what can I do"​
General​
Been some rumors of a 2M assistant coach at OU. Not too hard to figure out who'd that would be if true.

My thoughts are that this keeps him here for all but a a few exclusive jobs 1) top ten type program (few hire assistants though) 2) a blue blood CFB school that has everything but just needs the right mentality in a HBC to coalesce around (NE/MI/USC/ Texas after Sark LOL/ or 3) a program this puts out NFL talent annually and is otherwise in a hotbed of talent. The U. I'd love to say CIW but that's a whole other discussion.

Whatcha think?​
I think he really loves it at OU and 1.7, 2,etc. Will just make it harder but if he aspires to be a HC he'll do it. See Dave Aranda and Baylor.​
General​
Does Grinch win the Broyles or nah?​
I hadn't thought about that but it seems perfect for this to be the year he gets it as the storyline all year will be how much better the defense finally is.​
General​
Is Phil Collins Alamo stuff all fake?​
I was today years old when I googled this and what little I've read tells me there is plenty of it that is garbage but I doubt it all is.​
General​
Since Marvel is playing the What If game, I thought it would be interesting to do the same with OU's football program. What do you think would have happened with the events listed below? For example, what do you think would have happened to the OU program had Troy Aikman not transferred or What if Barry Switzer did not resign?

1. OU does NOT hire Bob Stoops
2. Adrian Peterson stays healthy during his career at OU
3. Sam Bradford does NOT injure his shoulder his Jr year
4. Mike Stoops is NOT rehired as D-Coordinator
5. Bob Stoops does NOT hire Lincoln Riley
6. Baker and Kyler do NOT transfer to OU​
1. They hire Jim Donnan. They improve, maybe even win a big 12 or two but never reach the same success.

2. You all don't have to watch Ian Johnson replays against OU.

3. You don't suffer the abomination that was Nebraska in 2009. However that team had too many flaws to be a true contender.

4. This is one that could have had seismic impacts around college football... Does OU keep Venables? Maybe but they'd have had to pay up and they were still living in the early 2000s at that point.

I'd guess they don't keep him anyway but without Mike they make a run at maybe Pat Narduzzi who had Youngstown connections and was coming off a great year at Michigan State.

5. I wonder if you all would be debating the last three years if it was time to move on...Bob is a great but there is just no denying how much that staff needed an overhaul and it just didn't feel like he was going to make it.

6. OU isn't recruiting like they are and don't have either of their current 5-Star quarterbacks in the roster nor their insane WR recruiting.​
General​
First, who pissed off the intern (@StoopsBros)? I miss our morning brew of twit updates.​
I won't pretend to know his thoughts but my impression was he wasn't nuts about the covid threads from last year and all the conversations that sprung from those. I can't blame him, that sucked.​
General​
When will OU get some new alternate uniforms? Every other Jordan school has some great ones...​
When OU wants them. OU is a traditional place, as reflected by fans that get mad at alternates.​
General​
Will there be conference realignment in the next 5 years and if so what do you think it is vs what it should be?​
Oh it's coming but I think it will take longer for it to happen the way that big programs want. Basically just multiple elite conferences that feed into a playoff.

These teams splitting money with teams that bring little to the equation won't continue forever.​
Personal​
What are you grilling for memorial day ?​
I will be out of town on vacation. But if I was? Definitely some brisket. I've been working on it and haven't nailed it yet.​
Personal​
Would you be happy if OU wins a natty? #joshhatesou​
Of course, makes my work life much easier.​
Personal​
Bonus: Are you going to try out Caseys bidet and give us a report on the pod?​
I am frightened by @Carey Murdock's house.​
Personal​
How was your weekend?​
A weekend later, chaotic.

I woke up at 4a Saturday to catch a flight to Houston then change plans for a flight to Austin. Went to a wedding, went to bed, drove with the family back to Houston to board a plane and start vacation.

The weekend of 5 airports and a wedding.​
Personal​
How many times are you and @Eddie_Rado hitting Sugar’s during you Oklahoma tour?​
As @Eddie_Rado mentioned even Suger's finds my behavior to be unsatisfactory.​
Personal​
Would you rather never have whiskey again or never be able to us toilet paper again. I'll hang up and listen.​
Whiskey. This isn't even a question. I can drink something else but I'm not walking around with swampass.​
Recruiting​
How much does Kelvin Gilliam actually weigh? And if you don’t know what’s your estimate?
What is his weight potential in your opinion?​
I would say that right now he's about 265 pounds but that's just my eyeballing him last month.

I would guess he's about 295 optimally.​
Recruiting​
Should.we be rooting for Perkins to go to Austin instead of Norman for the bbq? It’s a pipe dream essentially right? No sense in wasting time​
Nah. You always want elite guys visiting. Now that said? OU is a huge Longshot but this isn't Tim Kish era... OU knows it and is focusing plenty of attention elsewhere.​
Recruiting​
Next offense and defense commit for 2022 and 2023 class?​
2022:

Offense: Kaden Helms
Defense: Austin Jordan

2023:

Offense: Cayden Green
Defense: Jacobe Johnson​
Recruiting​
Top 5 recruiting HEAD coaches in NCAA?​
Saban, Day, Riley, Swinney, and Fisher.​
Recruiting​
What are some areas or high schools we have yet to break into in recruiting that you know we are trying to?​
I think you can see some efforts in the Carolinas that OU has had some success with but I think they'd like to find more through there and Georgia.​
Recruiting​
Tried asking this last week, but probably wasn't clear enough. Using an over/under of 5 how many committed elsewhere 2022 kids (Domani Jackson as a bad random example) visit OU during June?​
I remember that question, sorry I misunderstood it.

I'd take the under, I think OU has a few of those guys in their conversations but I'm not betting on too many coming in that early.

Maybe 2-3?​
Recruiting​
Not that any more name seem possible for the 2023 BBQ, but is there any news between OU and 2023 Denton Ryan LB Anthony Hill?​
I need to catch up with Anthony, will try and set something up with him this week. But I still think OU is right at the top of his list.​
Recruiting​
Who is the most successful person OFF the field (after their collegiate carrer) that you covered as a recruit?​
Wow, that's a great one...that I'm not sure I have an answer for.

My brain is so football focused it's hard to not think of guys who are doing big things in the footabll world...

Dusty Dvoracek a growing media presence.
Calvin Thibodeaux, DL coach at OU.
Zac Taylor, QB from Norman, now head man of the Bengals probably has to be the winner though.

I'm SUUUUURE there are guys doing big things in various other endeavors that I just am not as aware of though.​
Recruiting​
What do you think of Kevin Coleman as a prospect compared to Luther burden? & why did OU never really recruit him?​
I really like him, his explosion out of his breaks is not QUITE Jaylen Waddle but it's a reasonable facsimile. I like Burden a lot and would probably lean his way slightly as he's got a bit more frame to him but I can absolutely see the argument for Coleman.

As far as OU's lack of interest, I'm honestly not sure. I've said for a while that they seem to prefer bigger receivers over guys who look/present like pure slot receivers. In this era of college football I can't say that always makes sense to me but I also struggle to argue with what they are doing at WR.​
Recruiting​
Top 5 most important/Best Defensive recruits for 22 & 23?​
Gentry Williams
Gabe Dindy
Javien Toviano (OU needs to make a habit of landing elite corners)
2 High end safeties...I don't mean to take a copout but honestly, at this point I can't even name them but they need them.​
Recruiting​
over under 2.5 commits for the 2022 class that don’t currently have an offer​
Oh man, that's good... I'll take the under but I may regret it. DeSean Brown has me eye...​
Recruiting​
What’re the top traits you look for in a DB that make you confident they can play safety at the collegiate level​
Obviously they need to be able to run and be willing to come downhill but to me it's largely how much trust they have. Safeties get put into such quick decisions I want a guy that is decisive. No one is EVER always right in these scenarios but if a guy will see it quick and his feet follow his eyes... It often works out. Fortune favors the bold, I'd say.​
Recruiting​
What two recruits from the 2020, and 2019 classes that didn’t choose OU regret it the most? For example one that comes to mind for me is Blayne Toll. Chose Arkansas and is already gone from there, and now at colorado. Had a spot waiting for him at OU. Dontae Manning could have probably started, and won a conference championship/bowl game, Shammond Cooper, Peyton Powell. Just some that come to mind curious any you think​
2020 - Zach Evans, I mean what isn't he regretting at this point? Chris Tyree, he played for Notre Dame but is stuck behind a possible all American and could be featured at OU in a far more dynamic offense.

2019 - I'd have to say Justin Osborne, signed with Auburn and has already transferred back to SMU. Braylen Ingraham also is a good option. Two years at Alabama and has had no real time. He'd be pushing to start at OU.​
Recruiting​
Obligatory next commit ( O and D)​
Kaden Helms and Austin Jordan.​
Recruiting​
Who are the best O and D players (in your opinion) attending the bbq? (One of each)​
Malachi Nelson and Jordan Renaud.​
Recruiting​
If OU misses out on Dindy, and McClellan who would go after?​
DeSean Brown and he's a whale of a fallback. His quickness inside could be something special.​
Recruiting​
Any interest from OU in Cain Madden or Darwin Barlow?​

Not that I've heard so far.​
Recruiting​
Who's the next running back offer.. with Barnes seemingly leaning usc..?​
Jamarion Miller​
Recruiting​
What are your thoughts on high school seniors deciding to opt-out of their final year and concentrate on getting ready for college football? Do you think this helps a kid because I think the complete opposite. Even a running back I believe still needs game reps as a youngster to get prepared for the speed of game yet to come. Is this a future we need to be preparing ourselves for?​
I can truly see what kids oh, their parents, and their advisers are thinking when they come up with this idea. However, I agree with you it's really hard to take a year away from a sport and doing it of any sort of competitive level and then just jump right back in. I think you end up losing the time that you gave.

As far as whether or not it's a thing we should all get used to I really don't see it becoming prevalent but I don't think there's any question and it's going to happen at least a couple of times a year going forward. Particularly at running back as those players are getting smarter and smarter about realizing how short their shelf life is.

I also think it's prevalent will be related to some of these early attempts, like Blue, and how they pan out. If the examples go poorly then it's unlikely a lot of people are going to be running to imitated.​
Recruiting​
Is Jovantae Barnes still on the table for a visit? If so, when? If OU doesn’t land him, and assuming we can get Sawchuck, who are some potential candidates for the 2nd RB spot?​
mack_stock​
I am told he is still expected for BBQ but I am still trying to confirm that with him.

I mentioned another option at RB above.​
Recruiting​
How many non-QB Sooner recruits actually lived up to their Rivals 5* billing at the end of their college career? I can only think of 4 in the last 20 years…​
SoonerScrub​
Adrian Peterson, Gerald McCoy, Lance Mitchell (I won't begrudge him what the injury took away), and Joe Mixon.​
Recruiting​
What is the actual distinction between an official visit and an unofficial visit besides being able to pay for travel and provide food?​
There are several other rules, as an example on an official you are required to stay on campus (or within like 10 miles or something along those lines).​
Recruiting​
Can you confirm which former OU players are going to the ChampU BBQ? Is having those guys on campus and giving the recruits feedback will be the biggest recruiting tool of the whole weekend​
Not at all. I mean guys will be on campus so it could be a lot of them. But as far as who it will be, not yet.​
Recruiting​
Player comparison for the following:
Kaden Helms
Derrick Moore
Gentry Williams
Gavin Sawchuk​
Helms - Jake Butt
Moore - Joe Tryon
Williams - Greedy Williams
Sawchuk - Bryce Love​
Recruiting​
Can you dive into what position OU sees their OL targets at? A lot of really tall dudes that history tells us will be tackles but some of those dudes must be seen at guard​
I think most ARE seen at tackle at that is where OU's greatest needs are.

Unequivocal Inside guys are...

Hutson
Hunter
Iuli

I think everyone else is seen as flexible between the two (something Bedenbaugh seems to clearly prefer).​
Recruiting​
How many commits can we realistically get within a week of the BBQ?​
I'll say 4.​
Recruiting​
struggles with RB recruiting is it just bad luck or Murray‘s lack of experience?​
Bit of both. I think Wheaton was on Murray. On the other hand he did a great job with Donovan Edwards and I think they get him if the kid could have taken a visit.​
Recruiting​
Is it typically better to be the first OV or the last? I know it typically varies but just in general for most prospects, but could you give some OU targets you’d want to be first for and some you’d want to be last for?​
There is definitely a personality type for each.

Quiet kid who hates the process? Early and often. If they'll come for 10 minutes you meet them there.

Brash guy that loves the spotlight? Be last.

Those are general rules, obviously, but they tend to hold up.​
Recruiting​
what RB’s are we in contact with for 22’ besides Sawchuck and Barnes? With chatter of USC and Barnes, assuming the staff has a plan B​
I know a few they are keeping tabs on but to my knowledge not much contact. Which says they feel good about where they are. We'll see if that belief is misplaced.​
Recruiting​
I think Kirby Smart has proven to be a top 5 recruiter $$$$$$$​
You kind of debunked your point.​
Recruiting​
How many RBs (not including WRB Raleek) sign in 2022 and 2023?​
I will say 4.​
Recruiting​
Seeing Rowe and G. Williams this week, what is your best guess of their current height and weight? From the videos, Rowe looks thin. A lot more DB than LB.​
Williams - 5-11, 175
Rowe - 6-2, 210​
Recruiting​
Also, Jacobe Johnson? Looks like a basketball 6' 3''. So more like 6' 1"?​
Yeah he's probably about 6-2.​
Recruiting​
I love Brown from Beggs were we ever in on him ?​
Yeah, OU has told him he could get a call if a few other guys fell through.​
Roster​
Can Winfrey be better than Gerald?​
Not likely. He just isn't as big in frame abs isn't likely to be a dominant point of attack player.​
Roster​
Total yards rushing & passing for Caleb W in 2021 ?
Rushing: 325
Passing: 432​
Roster​
Will OU's receiving corp in 2021 be (A) better, (B) worse, (C) about the same than its 2020 receiving corp? What will that answer mean for OU's prospects for attempting win a national championship in 2021?​
A, better. I still think Haselwood finds his footing at some point, you've got a more experienced and in sync Mims, and Wease just can't drop that many touchdowns again. Add in Mario Williams and the possibility that Farooq is better than people think (IMO) and you've got some good young talent. Finally Mike Woods has a chance to give Oklahoma a real threat in red zone situations.​
Roster​
Do you feel Ugwoegbu & Asamoah both declare for the 2022 NFL draft?​
I don't. Asamoah would have to damn near win the Butkus to get people to overlook that he isn't overwhelming with his size and frame. Ugwoegbu could but he needs to be far more consistent in the run game.​
Roster​
What type of number does Hazlewood have to put up to be a 1st round grade for next years draft?​
This year? I think it would have to be something absolutely massive just to overcome the fact that in two years he's done almost nothing and is coming off a Serious injury. Maybe something along the lines of 70 catches for 1,300 yards.

He's just got a lot that he needs to make NFL Scouts forget.​
Roster​
Who goes higher in the draft Mims or Hazlewood?​
I'd take Mims at this point.​
Roster​
Which RB on the team finishes with more: Rushing yards? All-purpose yards? YPC?​
I'll take Gray for all. I think Brooks gave up the stranglehold he seemed to have when he opted out.​
Roster​
Top 3 guys that make the biggest jump for OU this season?​
I assume you mean guys who have already played...

Marquis Hayes
Brian Asamoah
DJ Graham​
Roster​
If Rattler and Williams were in the same class, would williams be the starter?​
I think it's possible. The talent is close but Rattler's manner, body language, etc. are always mildly concerning to me. Though I concede he handled the Texas situation better than I could have imagined.​
Roster​
Seems like 2023 is our next best shot for a title after this year. Could you see us making any real noise in 2022?​
I think OU could but they'd really need guys like Coe, Redmond, Smith, etc. to come along. As well as some linebackers. That will be a talented, but very young, team.​
Roster​
Let's Talk The Transfer Portal:
How much activity do you expect to see in re: to new major talent jumping in?
How do you think it affects us in so far as #s in and #s pulled back out?​
I expect two guys probably. OU won't go crazy but they know they could use help at a few places.​
Roster​
Also I know many of us have identified the TE psn as a position that might be targeted. If there are quality picks.... what psns would you target?​
RB and S at this point. I don't know that I believe an OL could come in and really help.​
Roster​
Also could you check in with Jalil Farooq and Savion Byrd? I believe Bob has said those are the only 2 summer enrollees not yet in the student database​
I am checking around.​
Roster​
Since Haslewood is going to leave after this year (more than likely) what does he have to show you this year that he’s a first round pick? Including stats and do you think that is still possible.​
I really don't this year unless he just goes for a Westbrook 2016 type of year. And I rate that as very unlikely.​
Roster​
What percentage chance do you give this year’s team being better than the 2017 team? 2018? 2019? Last year?​
It'll be the best team of the bunch, I'm confident.​
Roster​
Second, would you have Rocky Calmus or K9 in speed D? It PAINS me to say this but I think I pick post FUMS K9.​
Murray that speed is just rare.​

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News