ADVERTISEMENT

Caleb Williams announces intention to enter Portal ... what's next? ... UPDATE: 7:08p MONDAY

Eddie_Rado

Sooner starter
Staff
Jan 30, 2011
UPDATE 7:08p - Dillon Gabriel is a Sooner

UPDATE 5:03P - Well here we are ... I've got some good news as far as an update is concerned and I've got some bad news. Let's start with the bad and then we'll end on something that could bring you some clarity.

* We expect Mario Williams to enter the NCAA Transfer Portal. There has long been a belief that he was tied at the hip with Caleb Williams and Williams announcement Monday afternoon all but solidifies that. I do believe that Mario will enter the Portal sooner than later.

* Now for some good news. I find this news to be rather telling for a multitude of reasons ... long story short: It's my belief Dillon Gabriel is absolutely in play. This could even happen as soon as Monday evening. Jeff Lebby and Gabriel's relationship has been well documented.

What does that say for the status of CW and Oklahoma? I think it's certainly telling. In a way it almost makes you think OU was prepared for this news and that they are ready to move on. That's purely speculation on my part but it's hard not to read into it if it does indeed happen as quickly as I expect it to.

Gabriel threw for over 8,000 yards, including two seasons of more than 3,500 yards, as well as a total of 70 passing touchdowns and eight rushing touchdowns during his time at Central Florida.

UPDATE 3:08p - Caleb Williams has officially announced his intention to enter the NCAA Transfer Portal as we discussed this morning.

ORIGINAL 11:42a: If I had to predict what happens with Caleb Williams here's how I see it playing out ... based off things I'm hearing:

* I think he is going to enter the Portal
* I'll give you a moment to process that news and then hit you with what you all are really not going to want to hear ... I don't think this means he's absolutely done at Oklahoma. I'm told entry to the Portal will be to officially see what's out there. Yes, I know how most of you will react to that and I can't change your opinion. Let me repeat for the sake of clarity. I don't think an entry into the Portal means he's absolutely done at Oklahoma. But I do admit it's the not development any of you all want to hear.
* What's next for Oklahoma? I think they'll continue to 're-recruit' Caleb Williams to Oklahoma. It's gross, in a way. But it's also the reality of the times we live in.
* Do they immediately reach out to Dillon Gabriel? I think you have to make that call.
* What is the collateral damage going to look like? My immediate thought is where is Mario Williams in all this? I think he's the one that you have to be most worried about in terms of losing if CW doesn't return to Norman.
* I have been told OU isn't going to just let a talent like CW walk; in terms of NIL stuff I do think OU has a plan that could entice Williams but ultimately it's up to him and his family on where they feel like he can find the most success. Again. I know this isn't what you all want to hear. I know how this is going to be received by a majority of the fanbase.
* So if it's not Oklahoma where does CW end up? With Joe Brady now being mentioned at Miami U as Mario Cristobal's possible hire I don't think I have to connect the dots for you ... Notre Dame is an intriguing option. I, personally, just don't know if I buy the Georgia scuttlebutt. This is me just talking it out as I go not necessarily reporting those options are on the table but to me those are a couple schools that make sense if a return to Norman is not in order.
* As for a timeline from the time if/when he does enter ... I don't think he would drag this thing out. I don't think he would hold OU hostage. I don't necessarily like that phrasing but it kind of is what it is. This could all be wrapped in the next week or so.

Again. I know this isn't the news you want. It could entirely change the second I hit publish. But this is what I'm hearing as of Monday mid-morning.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News