ADVERTISEMENT

Blake Bell

Congratulations Blake. Four years, $2.78 million, including a $505,132 signing bonus. Average salary of $696,283 through the length of his contract. And congratulations to Bob Stoops.

A5HQvoiCMAATljR.jpg

Last edited:
Blake Bell was poorly coached at QB, while at OU. He decided to make a change to TE by his own initiative. Fortunately, his bold decision paid dividends even though the offense only threw a handful of passes to his direction.

What a waste of talent at OU.

He could have played QB in the NFL given the right coaching imho.

He could have been an AA TE in college as well.

Blake Bell was poorly coached at QB, while at OU. He decided to make a change to TE by his own initiative. Fortunately, his bold decision paid dividends even though the offense only threw a handful of passes to his direction.

What a waste of talent at OU.

He could have played QB in the NFL given the right coaching imho.

He could have been an AA TE in college as well.

It's been awhile. I think I'll go over to SoonerScoop and post something really dumb.

Last edited:
It's been awhile. I think I'll go over to SoonerScoop and post something really dumb.

Sometimes the truth hurts. I look at Bell's career and I see an incredibly talented QB coming out of high school that just didn't get the level of coaching that guys like Bradford or White got. Could be part of the reason that Heupel is no longer a coach at OU.

I'm damn glad that Bell landed on an NFL roster though. He accomplished that while only playing TE for one season. He will get better and his stock will improve with whatever team he is with. Hope the kid has a long, great career. Love to see things work out for kids like him since he showed he is the ultimate team player while he was at OU.

I'm not defending anyone.

Double talk. JMI never has anything good to say about our players and coaches. And he slams SoonerScoop hard. I don't see how you can defend him.

Bell was one hell of a contributor. And he will be one in the NFL too.

Last edited:
So agreeing with someone is defending them? Maybe you have missed the times when JM and me went round and round over things we adamantly disagree on. But I've never felt the need to calling other posters dumb or morons.

Last edited:
I bet that every time Bell touched the ball or scored a TD, you guys weren't screaming "YOU SUCK" at the TV. If you boys came face to face with him and the coaches last year in public, you'd be pushing me out of the way to be first to give 'em all atta-boys and tell them how proud you make us to be Sooners. It wouldn't be this message board psycho-BS.

Last edited:
I bet that every time Bell touched the ball or scored a TD, you guys weren't screaming "YOU SUCK" at the TV. If you boys came face to face with him and the coaches last year in public, you'd be pushing me out of the way to be first to give 'em all atta-boys and tell them how proud you make us to be Sooners. It wouldn't be this message board psycho-BS.

Who said that Bell sucked??

Let's see... if I recall right, he lost the QB job to Trevor Knight, who is about to lose the job to a walk on. This alone should tell you that something was up. There's no way in God's green earth could Blake Bell be a QB in the NFL. No way possible. To think he could have if he had a better QB coach is silliness run amuck. Bell will have a decent career in the NFL if he stays healthy. He reminds me a lot of Owen Daniels. Superb HS QB that earns a scholie at a big time D1 school only to lose his spot in his soph year and becomes a TE. Then goes on to be drafted in the NFL and stayed around for about 8 to 10 yrs playing a sport he loved and making a great bucks along the way.

Here's to a great career for Blake Bell and here's to a poster that can't see the trees in the forest.

If he can be just half as good as Witten, he'll be around the NFL for awhile. That's a pretty big stretch comparison IMO.

Let's see... if I recall right, he lost the QB job to Trevor Knight, who is about to lose the job to a walk on. This alone should tell you that something was up. There's no way in God's green earth could Blake Bell be a QB in the NFL. No way possible. To think he could have if he had a better QB coach is silliness run amuck. Bell will have a decent career in the NFL if he stays healthy. He reminds me a lot of Owen Daniels. Superb HS QB that earns a scholie at a big time D1 school only to lose his spot in his soph year and becomes a TE. Then goes on to be drafted in the NFL and stayed around for about 8 to 10 yrs playing a sport he loved and making a great bucks along the way.

Here's to a great career for Blake Bell and here's to a poster that can't see the trees in the forest.

I dunno man, I just can't believe that with all the physical tools Bell had coming to OU, that he was such a bad QB that he lost the QB race to Knight, who is about to lose it to a walk on. I think timing had alot to do with it in that the year after Landry left, the coaches decided to try and switch to a read-option type offense. I think that style offense just played more on Knights strengths than it did Bells. In the end we will never truly know for sure. I just always felt that Bell had much more potential as a QB than what we saw from him development at OU.

And I think his talent was wasted this past season. For a kid to play one season as a TE, and get drafted into the NFL at that position, he only had 16 catches for the season. If he had the talent to get drafted, then good grief why didn't Heupel for a way to get him the ball more often, especially with the terrible depth OU had at WR?

But I love the kid since he has heart. He stuck it out through alot of ups and downs. He lost the QB race, but was always ready to step in when needed in 2013. Then he makes a switch to TE for his senior season, and instead of hanging his head he worked his ass off and did what it took to eventually turn enough heads of NFL scouts to get drafted and get a pretty nice rookie contract. I love players like that who have the motivation to never get down and keep pushing forward. Great to see him rewarded for it.

Reactions: iasooner1
Blake Bell was my favorite player.. Yes his talent was wasted and he was moved around everywhere and just in and out and he never complained. In my opinion he was much better than Knight and exceptthe ALABAMA game he a total flop.. Blake had no coaching to make him better and its just shame see 4 yrs of that talent wasted. It looks as if the coaching staff don't know how improve a player and maybe that's their recruiting problem now..

They did Blake a great favor by moving him. He would not have been drafted as a quarterback. And more than a few of us would disagree with you about his being better than Trevor at quarterback. His games in Dallas and Waco at quarterback in 2013 were not exactly stellar performances.

And the 2013 Iowa State game was a pretty valid comparison. Trevor's second half performance blew them away. Blake's first half performance was hard to watch.

Glad to see Bell getting paid. I really hope he has a long and successful NFL career. He was up and down at QB, under-utilized as a TE, but by all accounts a great team guy, good character guy and bottom line...he lead one of the most dramatic game winning drives in Bedlam history. SO....for THAT alone...I'll always be a huge Belldozer fan!!

Reactions: WhyNotaSooner
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT