ADVERTISEMENT

Any news on the Keith Ford situation?

I'm afraid this Ford was an Edsel, not a Mustang.

If you youngsters don't know what an Edsel is, crack a book every now and then...:cool:

I disagree fitty. There were times Ford flashed brilliance only to end it with an untimely fumble. It seems Stoops or Gundy just won't forgive running back fumbles. It happened to Ross at one time also.

If you're a DB or LB that continually busts plays, they just send them right back in. Maybe it's a depth problem.

I predict he will be a star whether he leaves or stays, but he will find stardom faster at another school. Just like TJ Choice did at Georgia. JMO

Reactions: Section22Sooner
I disagree fitty. There were times Ford flashed brilliance only to end it with an untimely fumble. It seems Stoops or Gundy just won't forgive running back fumbles. It happened to Ross at one time also.

If you're a DB or LB that continually busts plays, they just send them right back in. Maybe it's a depth problem.

I predict he will be a star whether he leaves or stays, but he will find stardom faster at another school. Just like TJ Choice did at Georgia. JMO
Ford may or may not return, but I would not bet against him playing pro football if he can return to the team or transfers. His inside running ability is very good.
I will always believe that his absence last year for 5 games could have contributed significantly to the TCU and K-State losses.
If Ford returns this season, I would guess that Rodney Anderson redshirts unless he blows people away in August drills. Either way, running backs will not be a team weakness.....and maybe Daniel Brooks is part of the equation.

I agree K2C, the Edsel reference was entirely directed toward Keiths proclivity to smoke ganga, defiantly mind you in Headington Hall.
All the while giving all the mentors, counselors and team mates the big finger while doing it.
Or so the story goes...

I'm not doubting you, but I haven't read anything like this regarding Ford. Can you direct me to where I can?

Ford may or may not return, but I would not bet against him playing pro football if he can return to the team or transfers. His inside running ability is very good.
I will always believe that his absence last year for 5 games could have contributed significantly to the TCU and K-State losses.
If Ford returns this season, I would guess that Rodney Anderson redshirts unless he blows people away in August drills. Either way, running backs will not be a team weakness.....and maybe Daniel Brooks is part of the equation.
Please stop with the Daniel Brooks will help us this year garbage. If that happens we will be in huge trouble.

Ford wasn't an Edsel. He is a very good RB and I will hate to see him leave OU. We need all the good RBs we can get. To suggest we won't need Ford or downgrade his skills means you think Mixon is going to be the real deal and that we won't get bit by the injury bug. Perine is a proven great back. Ross and Brooks are good serviceable backs. We just don't know about Mixon and Anderson will be coming off of a knee injury. I would really like to have Keith Ford in the mix. We need to be able to consistently run the ball and need lots of backs capable of carrying the load.

From Keith...

11209453_10152729685046090_8108458272346431124_n.jpg

And from Oklahoma.247sports.com...

http://oklahoma.247sports.com/Article/Keith-Ford-is-transferring-37255754

Last edited:
Please stop with the Daniel Brooks will help us this year garbage. If that happens we will be in huge trouble.
Drew, lighten up. I said he may be a factor in the running back depth chart and why would that not be a plus having seen him perform well in the spring and him being the fastest player on the team ? Besides, ever hear of a player being a late bloomer ?
If he contributes, fine. If he doesn't, fine....as long as injuries don't pile up

Thanks Tanker.
To be crystal clear, I harbor no ill will toward Keith. I wish the best for him in his new, yet to be named home.

You just can not flout societies conventions, even if a large sector of the populace view them as antiquated or old fashioned.

So, onward and upward.
Good luck Mr. Ford
!

Ditto. Thanks Mr. Ford and best of luck down the road ahead.

I don't get all the wringing of hands over Ford.
He was a good back, save for the untimely fumbles.
My point is his character is his biggest nemesis. IE, he's gone. He's not even on campus anymore.
He's been expurgated.

Fitty, I think you're completely mis-guided on Keith Ford. He, IMO, did not have character issues and unless you can provide data to support your claim he had a weed issue, I think this should be retracted. I do think he had some issues though. But I tend to believe that he was rushed back into the RB group due to an extreme shortage of quality RBs at the time. As a result, it had a huge effect in his game and subsequently other issues. Just my take. From all accounts from his HS Coaches, his HS student body and team mates, he was a great student and great team mate.

Well, I would post the source but, lets say it's someone that has intimate knowledge of Headington Hall and all the residents therein of late.
Your admonishment is understandable, but it would be in violation of the intellectual properties of the web site that I got it from.

Needless to say, I now regret posting that bit about the pot. However, I believe it, and that's all I've got to say about it.

Well, I would post the source but, lets say it's someone that has intimate knowledge of Headington Hall and all the residents therein of late.
Your admonishment is understandable, but it would be in violation of the intellectual properties of the web site that I got it from.

Needless to say, I now regret posting that bit about the pot. However, I believe it, and that's all I've got to say about it.

Well I asked, that's all I can do. But you posting your commentary then hiding behind proprietary rights is... well... not worthy.

Fitty, I think you're completely mis-guided on Keith Ford. He, IMO, did not have character issues and unless you can provide data to support your claim he had a weed issue, I think this should be retracted. I do think he had some issues though. But I tend to believe that he was rushed back into the RB group due to an extreme shortage of quality RBs at the time. As a result, it had a huge effect in his game and subsequently other issues. Just my take. From all accounts from his HS Coaches, his HS student body and team mates, he was a great student and great team mate.

So does this mean you aren't going to give him a "like"? insert smiley face.............

This is a few days old, but just in case some haven't seen this story.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/spo...cle_da348ffa-f6b8-55aa-bc32-cb5483c1f36e.html

OU Sports: Keith Ford explains his decision to leave the Sooners, and where he might be headed

By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer | 2 comments

NORMAN – Running back Keith Ford issued a statement to the Tulsa World Wednesday declaring he was transferring from Oklahoma. Ford and his father granted the World a telephone interview Wednesday night to help explain that decision.

TW: When did you decide to transfer?

Ford: “After the coaching change there, it didn’t start off right. I talked to my parents. I didn’t like the coach. We were just talking that I think I should leave. First of all, we made sure we got my grades squared away to make sure I would be eligible to transfer. We did that, and I decided to transfer away from OU.”

TW: What coach are you referring to?

Ford: “The running backs coach (Jay Boulware, who moved to running backs coach in OU’s staff change last February).”

TW: What was the problem?

Ford: “It just wasn’t the right fit. His style of coaching was not my style. I had a relationship with Coach Gundy (Cale Gundy, the running backs coach before switching to inside receivers). I really came to OU because of Coach Gundy, because I wanted to work with him. I didn’t really know this guy and his actions didn’t fit the way I wanted to be coached.”

TW: Your dad said March 31 that you hadn’t decided what to do. So this was a recent decision?

Ford: “I’d already been thinking about it. I told my parents, and they said to make sure you get your grades squared away. I did that and I am eligible to transfer. I just want to get a new start and focus on other things. I mentioned coming back close to home and being close to my family and more of a support system.”

TW: So your intention is to transfer close to Houston?

Ford: “I had a couple smaller schools (in mind). I mentioned Texas A&M. OU has already sent my transcript release over there, so I’m going to be talking to them and see how their running back coach is. Just really take my time with the process.”

TW: Any other schools you’re interested in?

Ford: “I really don’t know. They’ve been calling my dad. I really can’t talk to them without me getting a release and everything. But a lot of schools have been calling my dad all day.”

Ford Sr: “We lost count. Utah, the first school to offer him a scholarship as a sophomore in high school, Western Kentucky, Vanderbilt, it’s all over the place. Everyone is calling to get the release because they can’t talk to Keith without the release. We’re trying to facilitate that. Once we facilitate that it’s up to Keith to make the right decision. Once the smoke clears ultimately the choice is his. He feels as though he needs a new start elsewhere, so we’ll support him.”

TW: Your statement today mentioned OU was granting you a full release. So they’re not restricting you from transferring to other programs in the Big 12 or on their upcoming schedule?

Ford: “I already told them I was moving out of conference, not be in the Big 12. They gave me a full release. That was a good thing. A lot of coaches you leave don’t do that.”

TW: Your dad told me in March that Coach Stoops was being cooperative and supportive through this process. Would you characterize it that way?

Ford: “Coach Stoops worked with me and I talked to him. Other coaches made sure I was OK. When they did find out I was going through some things, they really worked with me.”

TW: How would you describe what you were going through?

Ford: “It was a tough time, being hurt (he missed five games after breaking a bone in his leg against Tennessee Sept. 13) and having a bad season and just a lot of stuff. Not fully healed, still hurt even in the offseason. And you’ve got the coaching change, and I really felt like this was not going to be a good place for me.”

TW: Your dad mentioned you looked into situations where other players struggled to rebound psychologically after getting hurt. Was your injury the root cause of your issues?

Ford: “Yeah. When I broke my leg there was that several-week period of not playing and not really practicing. It was very hard to me just to see my teammates out there playing. I was happy for everybody, but it was hard not being out there on that field with them. When I got back, I got turf toe and my leg was still hurting. I just felt like I wasn’t 100 percent. I gave it my all, but I was playing hurt. (After) that season, I was just like, I’ve gotta get a new start.”

TW: The word your dad used to describe the situation was “uncharacteristic…”

Ford: “I was going through some things and they really took over everything. I felt like I wasn’t part of the team. I felt alone. Me, I shut down. I was going through some things the coaches didn’t know. Thank God they found out, because I’m not that type of person. I’d been there a year and a half with nothing bad about me. I’ve always been a good person. I’d always been to every meeting possible. During that time, I just felt like I wasn’t part of the team anymore.”

TW: How are you feeling now?

Ford: “I’m feeling pretty good. It’s good to be back home to clear my head, just get away from school a little bit, so I can take this process carefully and take some visits.”

TW: How are you physically?

Ford: “I feel good. I went in and lifted weights. I’m building myself back and trying to get bigger, faster and stronger. I’ve been training a little bit just easing my way back into things.”

TW: Is there anything you’ll miss about OU?

Ford: “OU is a good place. Playing in that stadium… I’ll miss my teammates, the fans, everything. It was a blessing to play for them. I wouldn’t take any of it back. I don’t regret it, not for one bit. Once a Sooner always a Sooner.”

TW: Anything you’d like to add, Mr. Ford?

Ford Sr: “There’s nothing to hide here. He’s being honest. Injuries, coaching change, when you add all that up, sometimes you’ve just got to make the right decision. But I’m gonna tell you something, Coach Gundy, he’s a good man. Keith formed a relationship with him. Hopefully he can find a place to go where he can form that relationship with his coach. Because I’m gonna tell you, that player you saw on that field was a product of Coach Gundy and the relationship that they had.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT