ADVERTISEMENT

Alternatives to cable TV

AbsoluteZer0

Sooner signee
Jul 10, 2008
Owasso, OK
You know, I've found the biggest obstacle for me enjoying the season is the fact that I haven't had any form of cable TV for the last 5 years. It is a real difficulty to watch the games when ESPN and the like are pretty much all tied to having one of the cable providers.

Last year I resorted to getting the Sooner Sports online feeds which is great to listen to, but I'd rather watch the game. There are some alternatives out there such as certain streaming sites and so on that are typically not the most "legal" option in the world and come with the potential to carry harmful software with them when trying to avoid either going to a bar or having to have cable.

I thought a thread on the best alternatives might be a good respite from the political airing of grievances that has been going on for a while. <grin>

One of the cool alternatives I have found isn't free, but it's relatively inexpensive when you consider what it costs to get cable. It is a streaming service called Sling TV. It carries ESPN/ESPN2 and several other sports and non sports related stuff. It is streamed online like Netflix with the biggest downside being you can only have one active stream at a time so you can't share the connection with anyone.

Anyone else have any great alternatives?

Reactions: iasooner1
And, no offense iasooner, but we're back to the 60's and the radio.

Look, I've been through all this before.
You have this epiphany where you want to shave some bucks off of the overhead, I get that.

But, every road I took ended back where I started...paying some national brand for the minimum satellite coverage that would carry all the OU games except pay per view...and with the option for that.

Once you admit you're a whore for OU football, it's much easier to pay the bill.
Trust me on this. :)

If you know anything about Linux, the $35 Raspberry Pi computer and OpenElec Kodi, you're in. No worries about virus' and nasties on a $35 computer and an SD card. However, the laws regarding peer to peer television (P2PTV) are coming on strong. You could probably get away with it today as countless people are, but you'd always be worried about that knock on the front door. Best advice... the guys above pretty much cover it. Sleep well at night.

Reactions: veritas59
If you know anything about Linux, the $35 Raspberry Pi computer and OpenElec Kodi, you're in. No worries about virus' and nasties on a $35 computer and an SD card. However, the laws regarding peer to peer television (P2PTV) are coming on strong. You could probably get away with it today as countless people are, but you'd always be worried about that knock on the front door. Best advice... the guys above pretty much cover it. Sleep well at night.

If you go PTP, you need to have a really good VPN. I use Astrill. As a matter of fact, I suggest ALWAYS using a VPN for an extra layer of protection. One of my buddies over in China ran all of his AV with a Raspberry Pi and XBMC, now called Kodi.

Veritas, good advice. I'm not sure how OpenElec (free download) does it, but it protects the user's identity and location (via proxy servers???), which is the only way possible to watch all the BBC channels in the USA, as one example.

The eggheads that write this stuff are amazing people. It's way above my head. All of my "channels" are legal... ....I hope.

Some cool stuff. I had heard of the Kodi option, but frankly I'm too old and have too many assets to risk that "knock at the door" as it was put. :)

So far I'm pretty impressed with the Sling TV option. Not as many sports channels as I would like but for 20 bucks a month and all the additional channels my GF likes to watch, it's seeming like a pretty good option.

I do like going to the bar but by the time I get done with the bar tab each week, I'd have been a lot better off getting cable and the one thing that really does suck is being a big OU fan here in Austin...you really have to find the right venue to watch the games at a bar or risk some drunken confrontation.

Veritas, good advice. I'm not sure how OpenElec (free download) does it, but it protects the user's identity and location (via proxy servers???), which is the only way possible to watch all the BBC channels in the USA, as one example.

The eggheads that write this stuff are amazing people. It's way above my head. All of my "channels" are legal... ....I hope.

Yes, there are some free options out there, and other pay ones, as well. I started using Astrill when I was in China... I pay around 100 bucks a year, which includes their stealth mode, which is triple layer encryption. I was always impressed with them because they were always able to stay a step ahead of the "Great Firewall of China". They have a huge number of countries through which you can VPN, and there is no speed loss routing through their servers.

Could be very expensive at a sports bar if OU has another season like last year:mad:
Sports bars and cable TV have their places, but having an I-phone with satellite radio, MLB, Xfinity, etc. is really convenient. Just bought my first I-phone six weeks ago....what a game changer !....and why did I wait so long ?

CT, I have my old iPhone 3GS streaming SiriusXM through my old 1974 Pioneer component stereo system in my garage. The NCAA football coverage is pretty good.

iPhones are great devices. Even the old retired ones are quite useful.

CT, I have my old iPhone 3GS streaming SiriusXM through my old 1974 Pioneer component stereo system in my garage. The NCAA football coverage is pretty good.

iPhones are great devices. Even the old retired ones are quite useful.
We have friends that live on Chebeague Island off the southern coast of Maine during the summer to escape the Houston heat and humidity. Great place, oceanfront property, secluded, very private and quiet.......with no TV, even though they have a dish which they have decided not to use.
My future trips there will be a little bit nicer now.
My old cell phone, which was just a phone, has been deprogrammed except for its 911 capability. I keep it in my nightstand.

I dont' know what the hell some of you guys are talking about!!! I'll gladly pay for my ATT U-Verse and an occasional pay-per-view game and watch them all at home. Beats the hell out of going to a sports bar and is far easier than messing with all the technological options that is out there.

I'm a techno-caveman. Hell, I was lucky to figure out how to post my avatar! :)

Reactions: Section22Sooner
I dont' know what the hell some of you guys are talking about!!! I'll gladly pay for my ATT U-Verse and an occasional pay-per-view game and watch them all at home. Beats the hell out of going to a sports bar and is far easier than messing with all the technological options that is out there.

I'm a techno-caveman. Hell, I was lucky to figure out how to post my avatar! :)

hmmm..... not so sure about your self description. The caveman evolved. The dinosaur, on the other hand. ;)

I started using the go-box which runs a form of Kodi and XBMC, now called TVMC about 4 months ago and am very happy with it. For a one time cost of $88 and no monthyl fees, it can't be beat. I haven't yet used it during football season, so this will be interesting to see how man games I can find.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT