ADVERTISEMENT

A serious question for Big hairy dude...........

K2C Sooner

Sooner starter
Sep 2, 2012
Catoosa OK
What is the proper procedure if a regular citizen get's stopped for a traffic violation? I've only had five tickets in my lifetime and one was for a stupid inspection sticker that Oklahoma has been since repelled.

The last time I got stopped by the Oklahoma Highway patrol, I waited patiently in my car for him to advance. He yelled at me for not getting out of my car and coming back to his car.

A few years later I had the Tulsa police stop me for a black tag on my collector Mustang. Hell. I didn't know what a black tag was. No insurance. Well like a dummy, I tried to exit my auto like the highway patrolman told me and next thing I know three other backups yelling at me to get back in the car and put my hands on the steering wheel.

Last week I had a Catoosa cop stop me. I stepped out of my truck and he actually half pulled a gun on me. What the hell, Catoosa? Old man driving an old pick up with a John Deere ball cap? Well,l I got back in the truck, but I was kind of pissed. BTW, I got verbal warnings on all the incidents.

Well I called the Catoosa mayor and reported him because he was more than rude. Dumb sucker didn't realize I was related or friends with half the city. I understand you guy's are under a lot of pressure these days, but common sense?

Anyways, are we supposed to stay in the car or come back to your auto?

Reactions: Section22Sooner
I'm not law enforcement, but I've always been told to stay in your vehicle. And don't move around! You might think you're speeding up the process by reaching into your glove compartment to get your insurance form, but from their perspective they don't know what you're grabbing for. Just sit there and wait for him (or her) to come to your window and tell you what to do. Just my .02 cents.

What is the proper procedure if a regular citizen get's stopped for a traffic violation? I've only had five tickets in my lifetime and one was for a stupid inspection sticker that Oklahoma has been since repelled.

The last time I got stopped by the Oklahoma Highway patrol, I waited patiently in my car for him to advance. He yelled at me for not getting out of my car and coming back to his car.

A few years later I had the Tulsa police stop me for a black tag on my collector Mustang. Hell. I didn't know what a black tag was. No insurance. Well like a dummy, I tried to exit my auto like the highway patrolman told me and next thing I know three other backups yelling at me to get back in the car and put my hands on the steering wheel.

Last week I had a Catoosa cop stop me. I stepped out of my truck and he actually half pulled a gun on me. What the hell, Catoosa? Old man driving an old pick up with a John Deere ball cap? Well,l I got back in the truck, but I was kind of pissed. BTW, I got verbal warnings on all the incidents.

Well I called the Catoosa mayor and reported him because he was more than rude. Dumb sucker didn't realize I was related or friends with half the city. I understand you guy's are under a lot of pressure these days, but common sense?

Anyways, are we supposed to stay in the car or come back to your auto?

Not a sworn officer but the protocol here is stay in vehicle with hands on the wheel until told otherwise by the officer conducting the stop. Dont fidget and move around or make sudden moves as that will alarm the officer and possibly escalate the situation. Above all let them do all the talking until they ask you a question. If they are rude to you report them to their supervisors as that is not accepted conduct in any profession. As for the common sense aspect of this equation that will sometimes be lacking because of the high stress level they face and or lack of proper training and lack of experience. And also some people are just plain stupid. As George Carlin once said, " Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

Most cops are considerate, but there is always the cop with a power trip ego on every force.

I once had a classmate that wore his cub scout uniform everyday to school. Soon it turned into a Boy Scout outfit. Everyday, I tell you. We had a 5 year reunion and he showed up in an Army uniform. The 10 year reunion, a police uniform. He took a lot of good natured ribbing from the classmates (Not Me, of course). He was a good citizen, he just liked uniforms.

You no what they say....women love a man in a uniform..........I meant to ask him about that.............................

Last edited:
I don't have a handgun or license, but I've heard many a people tell the story of the rude officer that surprisingly calmed down once that conceal-carry license and weapon were presented.

Something about making the playing field level knocks most people off of their high-horse.

Hahaha, you got out of the vehicle?! Awful idea...

Roll down window/s, turn car off, keep hands on steering wheel so the officer can see them as he/she approaches. And, be polite b/c even if he/she's an asshole, you being one isn't going to change that.

I just got out of a $600+ ticket (73 in a 50 - work zone...was an honest mistake) by simply being contrite and respectful. Gave me a "covered plate" ticket instead.

I don't have a handgun or license, but I've heard many a people tell the story of the rude officer that surprisingly calmed down once that conceal-carry license and weapon were presented. Something about making the playing field level knocks most people off of their high-horse.

Law enforcement knows that the citizen went through complete OSBI and FBI background checks. It tells the police officer, "I'm one of the good guys and I am on your side". At least that is the way most law abiding citizens view things. I think a majority of the cops do too.

Yeah, they know a hell of a lot about you, or at least the registered owner of said vehicle before any
contact, including any insurance in force.
Really, I've gotten many 'warnings' just by virtue of being compliant and respectful.
This, even when I've had pseudo illegal contraband and loaded pistols on board.
Perception is everything.

Last edited:
Lots of good advice (common sense) from others on this one. Stay in your car unless instructed to exit the vehicle. Always keep your hands visible. Don't make sudden movements. Be polite and respectful and I like the suggestion of turning on the dome light if it is dark. Do those things and you might just get a warning instead of a ticket.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT