ADVERTISEMENT

4-Piece Nuggets: Visitor tidbits from this past weekend

Parker Thune

Campus Legend
Gold Member
Apr 30, 2023

I will have more on Grant Brix in the days ahead, but there are a couple important things to note here. First off, his mom did not accompany him on the visit, as she is recovering from a surgery she underwent a couple of weeks ago shortly before Brix's final Nebraska visit. That is notable because the Sooner staff naturally did not get a chance to make final overtures to Mom, an opportunity they would have liked to have. They may not have that opportunity until (or unless) they go in-home with Brix next month, shortly before signing day. That said, I'm told Brix was hanging out with the players and commits until the wee hours of Sunday morning, which is a good sign. As of now, I would expect the Kansas State visit to proceed as scheduled on Nov. 25, but I still consider it subject to cancellation at any point. I will keep a pulse on those plans over the course of the week ahead. On the one hand, sources on the Oklahoma side were overwhelmingly optimistic about how Brix's visit went, but that seems to be the case every time he's in Norman. And on the other hand, one source did acknowledge to me that Nebraska remains a real thorn in the Sooners' side, saying, "Danny Kaelin and Carter Nelson have their hooks in pretty deep."

Again, expect another update in the next couple of days.

With Oklahoma's chances fading in the recruitment of Eddy Pierre-Louis, I would remain mindful of Tyler Mercer's name. The two-star OL from Prosper has an older sibling at Oklahoma and another sibling headed to Oklahoma, so I'm comfortable asserting that this would pretty much be an insta-flip if the Sooners did decide to pull the trigger on an offer. He visited this past weekend. And for those concerned about it, I do expect him to get a rankings bump into mid-to-high three-star territory by the end of the cycle.

I very much expect Oklahoma to be a major player for another Prosper offensive lineman, and that would be recently offered four-star 2025 guard Connor Carty. I'd referenced him back in May as a likely offer guy down the road (receipts here), and Bill Bedenbaugh extended him the opportunity to be a Sooner over the weekend when Carty made his first gameday visit to Norman. It was an offer Carty had been waiting on, and although he grew up a Texas Tech fan, the proximity and prestige of the Sooners' program should at the very least make Oklahoma one of his official visit destinations. File this name away as one to know in the state of Texas for the 2025 class.

Finally, any reports that Nate Roberts silently committed this weekend are inaccurate. I do expect the four-star tight end to wind up in Oklahoma's class, but after a commitment to Notre Dame that Roberts himself has acknowledged was a hasty decision, he and his family are devoted to checking every single box before a decision is finalized. If you listened to the KREF pregame show on Saturday morning, Roberts did slip up for a second (a la Christian Thatcher) and referred to Oklahoma as "we" in reference to the Sooners' 2025 in-state class. But much like Thatcher, his chip is still in his pocket despite whatever revealing comments he's made. Those two haven't officially committed yet, but all signs do point in that direction.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News