ADVERTISEMENT

4-Piece Nuggets: Status with in-state recruits, commit watch & more

Parker Thune

Campus Legend
Gold Member
Apr 30, 2023
— Let's start with the fact that I've flipped my FC from Iowa State to Oklahoma for Xavier Robinson, and that I've also entered a FutureCast for Mykel Patterson-McDonald. It's certainly beginning to feel as though Robinson looked for every possible reason not to go to OU, but in the end, the official visit left his choice undeniable. The vibes have been strong coming out of his midweek OV, and the only reason I initially held out on Patterson-McDonald was because he hadn't scheduled an Oklahoma official and was seemingly joined at the hip with David Stone. As I've continually reaffirmed, Stone is the type of player with which you can't take anything for granted until the decision is finalized, and that isn't necessarily his fault. Until he commits and signs, there will always be a bit of David Hicks PTSD that comes into play, and rightfully so. But given that Stone remains an OU lean, and that Patterson-McDonald has now locked in an OV for the ChampU BBQ alongside Stone and childhood friend Caden Durham, I'm confident enough to project Patterson-McDonald to Oklahoma.

— On the other hand, I don't think it's a given that Andy Bass ends up in Oklahoma's class. In speaking with Bass himself and sources with knowledge of the recruitment, I'm told he is in contact with dozens (no, really — dozens) of FBS schools that have now caught wind of the hidden gem from OKC. It's not often that you'll find a player with Bass' combination of physicality, versatility and speed (10.56 in the 100 meters), and that's begun to make him a very attractive commodity nationwide. I would not be shocked to see him pick up more high-end P5 offers in the weeks ahead, and it doesn't feel like the pull to OU is quite as strong for Bass as it would be for the typical in-state recruit. I believe the Sooners have good odds, no doubt. But I don't get the sense Bass is the type of kid who's automatically a Sooner. Moreover, with Robinson once again trending to OU, I believe the Sooners will wait to see how much progress they can make this weekend with Durham and Taylor Tatum before they'd start to press for Bass. If Durham and Tatum join Robinson in OU's 2024 class, that might leave Bass without a spot on the offensive side, and I'm told offense is definitely what he prefers to play. There's just too much unknown here for me to count on Bass wearing the crimson at this juncture.

— On the Zion Ragins front, I've been told by a couple of sources that he's not likely to take the official visit to Georgia this weekend. Granted, he lives an hour and a half from UGA's campus, so there's still time for plans to change there. But as of this morning, I have much more reason to believe he won't be in Athens this weekend than vice versa. With Tennessee no longer a serious contender, Ragins' decision may not be far off, and that decision would be in the Sooners' favor unless something changes drastically and quickly.

Michael Boganowski is a player that many have speculated could be on commit watch this weekend, and I'll admit I had some optimism in that regard too. But in speaking with Boganowski and his father yesterday at OU's elite camp, I can tell you all that you will not see a decision from the four-star ATH until July. The family is dead-set on taking all five of his officials and evaluating the decision thereafter. However, don't get it twisted... Boganowski's family is very pro-OU, and the relationship with Brandon Hall is rock-solid. In my estimation, it would take a lot for any school to overcome OU's lead for the Junction City (Kan.) native. I believe the shortlist of players that could realistically commit this weekend (whether silently or publicly) includes Durham, Jayshawn Ross, James Nesta, Samaj Jones and Davon Mitchell.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News