ADVERTISEMENT

4-Piece Nuggets: Friday quick hitters on recruiting and the portal

Parker Thune

Campus Legend
Gold Member
Apr 30, 2023
— Let's start with Louisiana transfer DB Trey Amos. The Sooners expect him to visit campus early next week, and in talking to program sources, one thing I've been told is that it's understandably tough to feel a ton of confidence until Amos visits. That said, the fact that he's making the trip speaks for itself; Oklahoma certainly has a shot here if they can impress Amos on the visit.

— I've been in touch with sources around the Switzer Center, and I would not disregard Oklahoma in the recruitment of four-star 2024 defensive end Zina Umeozulu. Things went quiet for a while on the Umeozulu front, and to be clear, I still think Texas A&M has the inside track here. But Miguel Chavis and the Sooners have re-emerged as a legit contender to land the Allen (Texas) stud, and I'm told Chavis has a few maneuvers up his sleeve in this recruitment that lend confidence on the OU side. He's casting a wide net with his board in the 2024 class, and I'll have more info in the coming days on Oklahoma's standing with Williams Nwaneri. Umeozulu is a guy they've prioritized as highly as anybody outside of Nwaneri, though. It's not necessarily worth working up optimism on Umeozulu just yet, but this is not a name to gloss over, either.

— There's a similar wide-net theme emerging in the cornerback room with Jay Valai, who already holds one blue-chip pledge from Jeremiah Newcombe. Obviously, if Eli Bowen isn't a Sooner, most across the industry would be astonished. But in talking to a well-placed source on the matter, I'm told Valai is ready and willing to take "as many as the head man will allow" in the 2024 class at corner. As we've previously reported to OUInsider members before the network move, Oklahoma is set to host Kobe Black and Marcelles Williams on officials this summer, and Brandon will have more insight on Black within the next week. The other name to keep in mind, naturally, is Tulsa Union four-star corner Devon Jordan. Valai has positioned Oklahoma as the leader for Jordan and Bowen, and they'll have more than a puncher's chance at pulling Black and Williams when OV season rolls around.

— Many have asked about Davon Mitchell's reclassification status, and I caught up with Mitchell on the matter earlier this week. For his part, Mitchell maintains that his reclassification into the 2024 cycle is progressing according to plan. I expect Mitchell to be Oklahoma's lone tight end in the 2024 class, and behind the scenes, it's becoming more apparent by the day that Mitchell to OU is a formality. However, Oklahoma is also in great early standing with a couple of 2025 tight ends in DaSaahn Brame and Michael Terry. The latter just received his Oklahoma offer this week after an in-person visit from Joe Jon Finley, but it's a watershed one for him, and he's already making plans to visit campus. Meanwhile, Brame hails from Derby, Kan., which is a suburb of Wichita. He's already taken two spring visits to Oklahoma, and really hit it off with 2025 QB commit Kevin Sperry. In sum, though Finley has caught some flak for only bringing in one blue-chip recruit in his first two cycles at OU, he could be on the verge of stringing together a very impressive haul in the 2024 and 2025 classes.

Plenty of exclusive intel is coming your way Sunday from the Rivals camp in Dallas, so hang with us over the next couple days as we continue to bring you juice from the trail.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News