ADVERTISEMENT

2-for-Tuesdays: Daily dose of Nwaneri and some camp insights

Parker Thune

Campus Legend
Gold Member
Apr 30, 2023
Let’s start with recruiting today instead of team info, because I know why the majority of y’all are here in this thread. I've been going back and forth all day and trying to figure out how best to report this, so I'll just take a stab at it and hope I don't 1) piss off any sources, 2) cause undue panic or 3) create a false sense of security. All of those things are quite easy to do when reporting on a five-star player.

— I’ve spoken to several sources over the last 24 hours on the Williams Nwaneri front, and I’ve also spoken to Nwaneri himself. I need to start with the most consequential bit of information here… I’m told that the five-star defensive end’s parents have essentially closed the process off to any and all external figures, and that includes Jamar Mozee. I will let you all draw your own conclusions as to the motive there. And at risk of stating the obvious, a recruitment primarily coordinated by the parents is dynamically different from a recruitment primarily coordinated by Mozee and the LSN folks (as it had been until the last couple of weeks). What is clear is that Oklahoma and Missouri are the two schools still fighting for Nwaneri’s pledge. Though the nation’s top defensive end has repeatedly stated that he has a good idea of where he’s going, one thing I can confirm is that he’s maintained contact with both staffs this week. If that doesn't paint a clear picture, let me fill in the additional white space: a decision has not been finalized. I understand the worry over all the Missouri smoke right now, especially given the current trend in Ryan Wingo’s recruitment. And from my standpoint, I sense some strong Xadavien Sims vibes here, because the kid is objectively two-timing somebody. Both the Oklahoma and Missouri camps are being fed exactly what they want to hear. And naturally, as soon as I make the Xadavien Sims comparison, some of you are slamming your laptop screens shut and conceding Nwaneri to Mizzou. HOWEVER...

this is where things get even more wild. In speaking to multiple sources on the Oklahoma end, I’ve been reassured that the program is ready and willing to go to bat with a highly competitive final NIL offer as they make their last overtures to Nwaneri — and it’s an offer that they believe can eliminate any substantial monetary advantage that Missouri might possess. Moreover, within the Switzer Center, there’s a relatively low amount of worry, especially given how much buzz there is about Mizzou right now. I believe that in part, that’s due to the fact that OU is willing to play the long game if necessary. One thing of which I can assure you all is that if Nwaneri commits to Missouri next week, Oklahoma isn’t going to surrender until ink is dry on paper in December. And for a variety of reasons, if that hypothetical scenario comes to fruition come Monday, I don’t think it’s a given that Nwaneri follows through and signs with Missouri.

I’d be lying if I said my confidence wasn’t somewhat diminished, but I’m still riding with the Sooners here as of Tuesday evening. In the end, I’ve got to trust the word of a myriad of sources who have reiterated that Nwaneri himself is (and has been) the highest on Oklahoma by far. It's going to be exceedingly difficult for him to say no to Miguel Chavis and Brent Venables. And regardless of what the parents’ preference may be here, I feel — FEEL — that the eventual decision will be made by Nwaneri himself (shades of Peyton Bowen, anyone?). If that’s the case, I believe he’s a Sooner on signing day. But there’s also a world in which this becomes a flat-out bidding war. If that is the case, I’m of the opinion that Nwaneri is no longer in ultimate control of the process. And if a bidding war is indeed what arises, that’s not a battle Oklahoma is going to fight. They’ll engage in that melee with a pitch that includes NIL, not a pitch that is NIL.

That's about all I can say for now. Regarding Nwaneri's destination, I may end up right and I may end up wrong. I may end up changing my tune in the next six days. When it comes to five-star recruitments, I can't promise a dang thing. Between Nwaneri and Grant Brix, I’m armpit-deep in two of the most laborious recruitments I’ve ever covered. A resolution can’t come soon enough in either case. Speaking of Brix...

— I’m going to be up in Iowa this Saturday morning to see him, so expect another update on the four-star offensive tackle this weekend. I touched on this last night in my Hot Board notes, but the biggest question on the Oklahoma end right now is how soon Brix locks in a decision. I feel that if he commits before the end of the month, Oklahoma is in the best position to secure his pledge. But if this drags into September, there’s some obvious reason for concern. Nebraska and Kansas State will each make an effort to get him back to campus for a game day, and it’s a lot more feasible for the Brix family to drive to Lincoln or to Manhattan on a Saturday than Norman, Oklahoma. Sources in the Switzer Center believe they are firmly in the driver’s seat for Brix, and there isn’t much of an opportunity for that to change if he commits before September. But if he doesn’t shut things down by then, the Sooners will have to keep fighting for who knows how long — and it may turn into an uphill battle because of their natural geographic deficit. Brix has acknowledged that his main inhibition with Oklahoma is distance. I’ll do all I can to nail down a timeline this weekend, but everything is still somewhat fluid in that recruitment.

Moving Right Along GIF by Muppet Wiki

— On the team side, I want to encourage you all to take these notes (and any camp notes) with a healthy grain of salt. If I tell you all that Trace Ford is making waves, I’m not trying to insinuate that Trace Ford is going to dominate or even start once the season rolls around. I’m simply trying to keep you apprised of what we’re hearing from the practice field. With that caveat noted, I’ll leave much of the offensive buzz to Brandon, who will have loads of team notes throughout camp. But I want to touch specifically on the wide receiver room and pass along a couple nuggets. First off, I’m told Andrel Anthony is dealing with a banged-up knee right now — not much to write home about, but just something of which to be cognizant. Secondly, I’ve heard lots of positive clamor about true freshman Jaquaize Pettaway, who has looked the part of an impact Power 5 receiver from the open practice sessions we’ve witnessed. He’s been running with the ones at times and has turned some heads with his ability to stretch the field. It should come as no surprise that Jalil Farooq has been steadily excellent throughout the first few days of camp, and it’s with great pleasure that I relay plenty of Nic Anderson Hype to you all. That dude’s got a first-round body; now it just has to translate into first-round production. So, beyond the obvious (i.e., Gavin Freeman can ball and Drake Stoops is going to be a cornerstone out of the slot), that’s the early buzz to know at wideout.

— Defensively, one name we heard a lot throughout the spring and that I continue to hear early in camp is that of Jasiah Wagoner. Per sources, he’s been as impressive and reliable as anybody not named Woodi Washington at cornerback. I’m still rolling with Gentry Williams as my pick to start opposite Washington, but Wagoner has seemingly been on a mission to force his way onto the field as a true freshman. And it’s admittedly easy to get excited about any newcomer that proves he belongs on the same field as seasoned vets, but in non-freshman news, Reggie Pearson is making his presence felt from the safety position. Sources have raved about the Texas Tech transfer, and they seem particularly impressed with how quickly he’s been able to pick up the nuances of Brent Venables’ defense. I’d say I’ve heard the most praise for him than any other veteran on the roster.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News