ADVERTISEMENT

10 Post-game Thoughts: Iowa State

Joe_DuVall

Sooner starter
Staff
Sep 3, 2015
Has anyone else noticed that Mike Stoops has dialed up more pressure from his secondary than in recent memory? Corner blitzes and safety blitzes, if not occurring in more frequency, are at the very least more successful. It’s reminiscent of some of those early 2000’s defenses that had defensive backs making plays behind the line of scrimmage with regularity.

There were some that described Dakota Austin’s interception in the first quarter as great “recovery,” but man alive it looked to me like he was always under control and might have even baited Joel Lanning into making that throw. Austin has been a revelation in the secondary since Zack Sanchez went down with injury. One of the reasons the Denver Broncos have been so successful on defense this year in the NFL is due to their ability to throw out three cornerbacks who can cover with anybody. Once Sanchez returns to the lineup, Oklahoma may be able to have such a luxury.

My freshman year at OU, I had a Macroeconomics professor on the first day tell us, “If anyone tells you they understand economics, they’re lying” and then proceeded to try to teach us economics. He even wrote the textbook. That’s how I feel writing about college football. Don't get too caught up in the predictions and just enjoy the rollercoaster.

In this week’s edition of college coaches wasting timeouts: Paul Rhoads called one on 3rd & 19 from Iowa State's own 1 yard line. A delay of game would have amounted to an 18-inch penalty. The Cyclones were flagged for a false start coming out of the timeout.

Oklahoma’s offense seems to ride whatever momentum they’re currently on. Lincoln Riley dialing up the double reverse flea flicker on the opening play of the game opened up the offense in the first quarter. However, you saw the antithetical effects when they struggled to get anything going while looking lethargic in the second quarter.

Alex Ross
doesn’t look as effective at kick returner this year, but I don’t think all of that is on him. Ross is a guy who needs a head of steam and he can’t seem to get to the 15-yard line without having to make somebody miss and that’s not his forte.

I thought Jordan Evans came back from injury and played a great game. He looked decisive making his reads and was active in the passing game, tipping passes, blowing up screens, and filling run fits. Dominique Alexander has played well this year and been the guy to pile up tackles, but Evans is the inside linebacker on this defense with the highest ceiling.

Oklahoma really showcased their immense depth on the offensive side of the ball tonight. Eight Sooners finished with at least 55 yards from scrimmage.

Joe Mixon (99), Samaje Perine (95), Sterling Shepard (94), Dimitri Flowers (81), Durron Neal (75), Dede Westbrook (60), Mark Andrews (55), Daniel Brooks (55).

I mean how many offensive coordinators feel comfortable slipping out their fullback on a double reverse flea-flicker?

Baker Mayfield may very well be your top quarterback in the Heisman discussion right now.

- Connor Cook (MSU): 168/289 (58.1%), 2388 yds, 21 TD, 3 INT; 37 rush, 70 yds

- Deshaun Watson (CLEM): 182/261 (69.7%), 2233 yds, 21 TD, 7 INT; 94 rush, 493 yds, 4 TD

- DeShone Kizer (ND): 142/215 (66.0%), 1931 yds, 16 TD, 6 INT; 83 att, 308 yds, 6 TD

- Trevone Boykin (TCU): 233/354 (65.8%), 3372 yds, 29 TD, 9 INT; 107 att, 597 yds, 8 TD

- Baker Mayfield (OKLA): 193/275 (70.2%), 2812 yds, 28 TD, 4 INT; 95 att, 225 yds, 5 TD

It’s starting to look like the two teams playing the best football in the Big 12 both reside within the Sooner State. If OU and OSU both find a way to win out, then it is very likely that Bedlam could act as a de facto national quarterfinal game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News