ADVERTISEMENT

Will Perine hit 1700 yards rushing this year?

Don't think so if the offense is as advertised. Makes no different. Perine will still be a big part of the offense. Can't be successful passing without a good ground threat and who better to provide a threat than Perine and hopefully Joe Mixon. Keeping my fingers crossed that Mixon is as good as the hype. BOOMER!

Can see Perine carrying the rock often...Mixon & Brooks getting a wide variety of long plays...and Shep shining in his slot role. The key is will Westbrook break open the egg with some long pass plays from the more skilled downfield passer in Mayfield ? I do remember Rip blasting open some good holes for Perine, so will Flowers and Andrews help do the same ?

Good question, but I'm not sure if I wanna see one guy carrying that much of the load. Hopefully we'll see a good mix of running and passing, with many guys contributing throughout the season. I'd love to see two guys getting close to or over 1,000 yards each and our QB(s) throwing for more than 250 per game.

Good question, but I'm not sure if I wanna see one guy carrying that much of the load. Hopefully we'll see a good mix of running and passing, with many guys contributing throughout the season. I'd love to see two guys getting close to or over 1,000 yards each and our QB(s) throwing for more than 250 per game.

I agree with Schooner, the two backs, Mixon and Peerine get about a thou each, the receivers will be the X factor.
They don't perform, we're pretty much hosed.

Perine is a very special back. With the off season strengthening and coaching, the guy will be better than last year. He will be generally unstoppable once he gets his downfield velocity going. It all comes down to number of carries. If the so-called air raid works or if Mixon or another back shines, then "no" on the 1700 yards. If the air raid fails, then Perine will have another lights-out season. It is great going into the season with a Plan A, Plan B and Plan C.

If Perine does have another 1700, he'd rank #7 on the OU all-time list behind DeMarco. That would be crazy for a Sophomore in an historically running program like Oklahoma. But I'm not going to count mis pollos before they hatch.

BTW - I hate the name Air Raid or naming any kind of unproven scheme. Let greatness alone reward it with a name. We don't need another embarrassment like The Shark Defense.

Last edited:
Reactions: K2C Sooner
Perine is a very special back. With the off season strengthening and coaching, the guy will be better than last year. He will be generally unstoppable once he gets his downfield velocity going. It all comes down to number of carries. If the so-called air raid works or if Mixon or another back shines, then "no" on the 1700 yards. If the air raid fails, then Perine will have another lights-out season. It is great going into the season with a Plan A, Plan B and Plan C.

If Perine does have another 1700, he'd rank #7 on the OU all-time list behind DeMarco. That would be crazy for a Sophomore in an historically running program like Oklahoma. But I'm not going to count mis pollos before they hatch.

BTW - I hate the name Air Raid or naming any kind of unproven scheme. Let greatness alone reward it with a name. We don't need another embarrassment like The Shark Defense.

What, you don't like sharks?????

selfie.jpg

Reactions: Section22Sooner
I don't see Perine getting that many yards this season. Not because I don't think he is capable, but because he is sharing the backfield with Mixon. Plus Riley will be looking to throw for ball.....alot!! So I could see both Perine and Mixon each having 1000+yd seasons, but I don't see either back getting enough carries to pile up 1700 or more.

Reactions: Section22Sooner
Perine was the whole offense towards the end of last year with a senior dominated OL and it was a disaster in the win loss category. Perine and Mixon will get their yards because of the air raid offense LR is installing which will hopefully result in more Ws. It's possible that Mixon will end up with more yards than Perine.

Perine was the whole offense towards the end of last year with a senior dominated OL and it was a disaster in the win loss category. Perine and Mixon will get their yards because of the air raid offense LR is installing which will hopefully result in more Ws. It's possible that Mixon will end up with more yards than Perine.
yeah a bunch of that though was the disaster of a defense we put on the field as well. Perine will not get to 1700 yards this year unless we are so proficient throwing that ball that he knocks off a bunch of 40-70 yard runs, others get hurt, or the passing game is a disaster (note last year again)

Doubtful. Oline won't be as good, he will be sharing time with Mixon and we will be throwing the ball a lot. Doesn't mean he won't be improved or a great back, just don't think he will get the carries to do it unless we have a lot of games where we are just grinding it out at the end.

I don't see Perine getting that many yards this season. Not because I don't think he is capable, but because he is sharing the backfield with Mixon. Plus Riley will be looking to throw for ball.....alot!! So I could see both Perine and Mixon each having 1000+yd seasons, but I don't see either back getting enough carries to pile up 1700 or more.
This.

I intended to write the same thing. Billy Ray said it better.

I hope so and better. I think Steve Owens won a Heisman with about those yards gained. Air raid better be Perine raid IMO................

I do not think so. Mixon takes some of his yards away. (If both are healthy of course)

If he does get 1700or yards. That better mean, either Mixon hurt, or we need to look for a new Offensive Coordinator.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT