ADVERTISEMENT

Will OUr conference survive past the ('25) GOR?

12375CAT

Sooner starter
Feb 15, 2012
We%20are%20big%2012_zps0wx6drqi.png

Why does anyone care about the GOR?

The ACC had a GOR that stipulated that if any school left the conference they would have to pay 50 million dollars?

Guess what?????????? Maryland left and they didn't pay anywhere the 50 million (20 million if memory serves).

Why does anyone care about the GOR?

The ACC had a GOR that stipulated that if any school left the conference they would have to pay 50 million dollars?

Guess what?????????? Maryland left and they didn't pay anywhere the 50 million (20 million if memory serves).

That's not correct. The ACC did not have a GOR when Maryland left. The ACC only had an exit fee (which most conferences have had for decades). A GOR is completely different. A GOR is not simply an exit fee. A GOR means you have agreed to sign over all your broadcast rights to the conference for a set period of time. So for example, if Texas left the Big 12 next year, then either Texas (home games) could not appear on TV for 9 more years, or all the TV money would have to be paid to the Big 12.

Is there a way to get around the GOR? I'm not sure how all that works.

Not really. A GOR is not specific to sports. It's used in a variety of industries, motion picture, music, publishing, etc. It's a standard contract that's been around for a long time. Realistically, nobody is getting out of it.

That may still happen in 2-3 more years.
Dang CT you not a premium member anymore?? There is a thread over on the pay board where a guy posted some inside info about what happened with the expansion process. Turns out, Boren has made a complete ass of himself, and it now makes perfect sense why the rest of the league wouldn't pony up votes to bring other programs into the Big XII.

Reactions: Huntin Hard
Dang CT you not a premium member anymore?? There is a thread over on the pay board where a guy posted some inside info about what happened with the expansion process. Turns out, Boren has made a complete ass of himself, and it now makes perfect sense why the rest of the league wouldn't pony up votes to bring other programs into the Big XII.

To me, there are really only two schools that are big enough draws to add anything to this dumpster fire conference, besides other Power 5 schools of course... Those are ND & BYU. Houston looks okay, until you really look at them. They don't really add anything. The market they are in goes aTm or texASS. Expansion by adding non Power 5 schools or a major independent drops the conference lower, IMO.

The little xii will be done in another 2-3 years. OU can choose where it wants to go...

To me, there are really only two schools that are big enough draws to add anything to this dumpster fire conference, besides other Power 5 schools of course... Those are ND & BYU. Houston looks okay, until you really look at them. They don't really add anything. The market they are in goes aTm or texASS. Expansion by adding non Power 5 schools or a major independent drops the conference lower, IMO.

The little xii will be done in another 2-3 years. OU can choose where it wants to go...

BYU doesn't really add anything either. Their market is pretty good, but BYU doesn't have the pull some people think they do. If they were partnered with somebody like a P5 school, then they would be ok, but not if they are the main prize.

BYU doesn't really add anything either. Their market is pretty good, but BYU doesn't have the pull some people think they do. If they were partnered with somebody like a P5 school, then they would be ok, but not if they are the main prize.

True. I prefer they get a Power 5 team and ND. Out of who was on the list, who was better than BYU? Houston? UConn? Cincy? The list was a bunch of minor programs...

True. I prefer they get a Power 5 team and ND. Out of who was on the list, who was better than BYU? Houston? UConn? Cincy? The list was a bunch of minor programs...

Nobody was better than BYU out of the list. That was the whole problem with the expansion idea. Really, the Big 12 is better off with just 10 schools than adding other schools from that list. They made the right decision.

Reactions: PtLavacaSooner
It dies in 2025. I would be really surprised if OU/Texas both have not made up their minds. I would not want to be a Baylor/TCU fan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT