ADVERTISEMENT

Why is Adams not getting more carries?

We have 3 good RBs. It feels like we've had one of these threads for all 3 of them this year.

Abdul - 46 attempts, 1 TD
Anderson - 86 attempts, 5 TD
Sermon - 95 attempts, 4 TD

Reactions: veritas59
Before Adams was hurt, he was gashing defenses with long runs. Since returning, he has disappeared. He wasn't fumbling before his injury and although Anderson has done very well, he does not possess either the quickness nor the speed of Adams.

Reactions: sybarite43
Adams also seems like the perfect compliment to passing situations because he would be great for dump offs or draws. I'm not Lincoln Riley, but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

Reactions: JConXtsy
I mean, he had 10 attempts against TTech after coming back from his injury. That was his second most attempts on the season, so it's only been 1 game (OSU) really that he fell off the rotation compared to his previous workload.

I also get he's got 10 yds/carry, but it's not like the other guys are much worse. I don't think you'd expect Adams to continue that pace of 10 yds/carry if he had twice as many attempts like the other guys. You'd expect it to fall some.

Trey is at 6.0, but he also had the lion's share of carries against the 2 good defensive teams we've faced, Ohio State and Texas. At Ohio State, he had 17 for 3.6 yd avg. At Texas, he had 20 for 4.8 avg. Those two games bring him down quite a bit and probably would have had the same effect on the other backs if they had been featured in those games too.

Rodney is averaging 6.1. However, he's averaging 6.9 yds in the last 3 games since becoming the feature back.

If you take all of that into perspective and play out the averages, we've got 3 guys that are all somewhere in the 7 yd avg area against average competition.
Abdul's averages are pumped up by bigger plays though.

Reactions: iasooner1
I mean, he had 10 attempts against TTech after coming back from his injury. That was his second most attempts on the season, so it's only been 1 game (OSU) really that he fell off the rotation compared to his previous workload.

I also get he's got 10 yds/carry, but it's not like the other guys are much worse. I don't think you'd expect Adams to continue that pace of 10 yds/carry if he had twice as many attempts like the other guys. You'd expect it to fall some.

Trey is at 6.0, but he also had the lion's share of carries against the 2 good defensive teams we've faced, Ohio State and Texas. At Ohio State, he had 17 for 3.6 yd avg. At Texas, he had 20 for 4.8 avg. Those two games bring him down quite a bit and probably would have had the same effect on the other backs if they had been featured in those games too.

Rodney is averaging 6.1. However, he's averaging 6.9 yds in the last 3 games since becoming the feature back.

If you take all of that into perspective and play out the averages, we've got 3 guys that are all somewhere in the 7 yd avg area against average competition.
Abdul's averages are pumped up by bigger plays though.

Like I said, he's quicker and faster than Anderson or Sermon so, if given the same amount of touches, it stands to reason he would have more yards and more touchdowns. Well, maybe not more TDs since he's not a bruiser near the goal line.

Like I said, he's quicker and faster than Anderson or Sermon so, if given the same amount of touches, it stands to reason he would have more yards and more touchdowns. Well, maybe not more TDs since he's not a bruiser near the goal line.

Situational though. Say you've got a guy that gets runs of 2, 0, 1, 1, 0, 3, 50. 8.1 yd average. But look at those runs in the situations. The first 6 runs probably put the offense in a bad position and could potentially be drive killers.

Then you've got a guy that goes 3, 5, 4, 6, 3, 8, 5. 4.9 yd average. Way worse average, but if that guy is really that consistent, you can ride him until the cows come home and never have a possession-stalling set of downs.

If Adams has been hurt, I can understand. But, I fear that Riley has become a bit too much in love with Sermon as a potential Perine. That is a mistake. Sermon is a bit too easy to bring down, and I would much rather have Anderson or Adams in the game. They are less likely to be stopped for a one-yard gain because of an arm tackle around the ankles. Too often, Sermon is brought down by a hit on the knees because he doesn't have the runner's instinct to avoid the contact. You have to trap Adams or Anderson, in comparison. If you want explosiveness, Anderson can hit for sixty. Adams can hit for 99. Sermon is more likely to get about twenty at a maximum.

I think that we have stalled offenses at times by using Sermon on first down runs when we needed to take advantage of the opponent's inability to cover a pass. They seem to be prepared for our first-down runs, and we end up with too many 2nd and anywhere from nine to twelve yard situations. we are not a run-first team.

What we really need to do is get Marquise Brown the ball as much as possible. Holy crap that guy flies. I have not seen a Sooner of late that can outrun anyone on the opposition. If he gets behind you, goodnight.

What we really need to do is get Marquise Brown the ball as much as possible. Holy crap that guy flies. I have not seen a Sooner of late that can outrun anyone on the opposition. If he gets behind you, goodnight.

Some say Brown is as fast or faster than Kyler Murray. I don’t know, but he looked like a rocket on his first TD.

Some say Brown is as fast or faster than Kyler Murray. I don’t know, but he looked like a rocket on his first TD.

I'm so used to Sooner players getting catches behind the secondary only to get run down every single time. When he caught that first one, my thought was, "nice gain," assuming he was about to be brought down. Then it looked like he was just trotting away from them effortlessly.

84 yds and a TD

Then again....

77 yds and a TD

He walked away from defenders that were in good positions to catch him on both of those. Amazing.

Top 10 Sooner Receiving Games of All Time

1. Marquise Brown SO WR 265 9 2 84 29.44 2017 at Oklahoma State
2. Dede Westbrook SR WR 232 10 3 71 23.20 2016 vs Texas
3. Ryan Broyles SR WR 217 13 2 57 16.69 2011 at Kansas
4. Sterling Shepard JR WR 215 7 1 75 30.71 2014 at TCU
5. Ryan Broyles JR WR 208 9 3 81 23.11 2010 Colorado
6. Manuel Johnson SR WR 206 5 3 76 41.20 2008 TCU
7. Dede Westbrook SR WR 202 9 2 52 22.44 2016 at Texas Tech
8. Sterling Shepard JR WR 197 15 1 47 13.13 2014 Kansas State
9. Juaquin Iglesias SR WR 191 12 0 48 15.92 2008 Kansas
10. Mark Clayton JR WR 190 8 1 47 23.75 2003 vs Texas

If Adams has been hurt, I can understand. But, I fear that Riley has become a bit too much in love with Sermon as a potential Perine. That is a mistake. Sermon is a bit too easy to bring down, and I would much rather have Anderson or Adams in the game. They are less likely to be stopped for a one-yard gain because of an arm tackle around the ankles. Too often, Sermon is brought down by a hit on the knees because he doesn't have the runner's instinct to avoid the contact. You have to trap Adams or Anderson, in comparison. If you want explosiveness, Anderson can hit for sixty. Adams can hit for 99. Sermon is more likely to get about twenty at a maximum.

I think that we have stalled offenses at times by using Sermon on first down runs when we needed to take advantage of the opponent's inability to cover a pass. They seem to be prepared for our first-down runs, and we end up with too many 2nd and anywhere from nine to twelve yard situations. we are not a run-first team.
Sermon is easy to bring down ? Really ?
He seems to get an extra few yards after first contact and does not play like a true freshman.
Anderson is the best back on the team, but the other three are very good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT