ADVERTISEMENT

Why a Big 12 Team will not make the playoffs...

soonerwink

Sooner starter
Jul 23, 2009
Let's throw out the fact that the Big 12 is the weakest power 5 conference. Nationally we are considered the Big East of 10 years ago. One or two elite teams and a bunch of also rans.

1) The Big 12 SOS will never be in the top tier due to the number of un-ranked teams in this conference. If you lose in the Big 12, your ranking will drop a minimum of 5 spots.

2) The Big 12 schedulers decided it would be a good idea for all of their top 4 teams (TCU, Baylor, OU, OSU) to play each other in the last month of the season. None of those teams go through unbeaten in that schedule and a late loss will kill any shot of a playoff birth.

3) The only 1 loss teams that would be considered for the playoff would be Texas and OU, and they may have an uphill battle based on SOS. All others will get passed by the selection committee and the BCS by every other 1 loss team from every other conference and COULD get bumped for a 2 loss SEC team.

4) Our Big 12 brethren, outside of Texas, play no one competitive in the non-conference schedule. Outside of OU playing Tenn. and Texas playing ND, here are the Power 5 non-con opponents for all other Big 12 schools:

TCU vs. Minnesota
Iowa St. vs. Iowa
Kansas vs. Rutgers
WVU vs. Maryland
Texas Tech vs. Arky

Noticeably absent are the other "powerhouses" of our conference: Baylor and OSU. The Big 12 should implement the Big 10's requirement of no Div. 1AA schools and push schools to schedule power 5 conference opponents. In fact, I would go so far to say that schedules should require approval. This league will never gain credibility unless teams like Baylor, OSU, K-State, and TCU starting scheduling and beating good teams from power 5 conferences. Minnesota is not on that list. Good on Tech for scheduling a respectable opponent.

In summary, OU has to get out of this suckhole to maintain credibility. Everyone thinking that OU is a playoff team assumes either 1 loss to Tennessee or Texas or an undefeated season. I don't see a way OU loses less than two games, especially with the final 3 games being what they are. I see them winning 1 MAYBE 2 of those and losing in Knoxville and Texas this year. I'm sorry, this is just not a playoff team. Can't believe I have seen so many predicting that. You are setting yourself up for disappointment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.