ADVERTISEMENT

Who's your favorite Football play by play caller? College or Pro.

WhyNotaSooner

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Nov 1, 2004
I would have to say Troy Aikman. He's sharp, quick, generally spot on. He's clean, portrays himself well on & off camera. At times I think he allows his past professional ties to the Cowboys effect him. To the degree that it appears that he makes an extra effort to critique the Cowboys in general in a negative fashion just so he won't be considered a 'homer'. Perhaps it's just my Cowboy fandom kicking in. Having said that about him, I still don't see any other TV play by play broadcaster doing a better job.

Who you got?

Troy is the analyst. Joe Buck is usually his PBP guy, but I can't stand Aikman for a lot of reasons. He has star power, as you suggest and that's why he's in that seat.

His stock has dropped at ABC/ESPN but I really like Brad Nessler, at least in part because he did a great job doing most of our best wins in 2000. I just think Nessler does a professional job and lets the game be the star of the show, not him.

I also think that Toby does a great job doing not just football, but most things Sooner.

For an analyst, I'd much prefer Boomer or Chucky. .... er Gruden.
This post was edited on 4/19 11:36 PM by Plainosooner

If you'll let me include radio, I would say Mike Treps. Many Saturday afternoons spent listening to him describe the Sooner dynasty of the early to mid 70's.

I really don't listed to the PBP much, but I will listen to the color guy, if he's good. That said, I wouldn't piss on Aikman if he was on fire.

I prefer a guys who leans heavily toward my home team. So I will go with BB Sr and Matt Pinto. Grow up with BB and Merv and as far as Pinto goes, he seems like a dick in real life but when he gets heated on air I love it.

For me it's a tie: Joe Buck (for NFL) and Verne Lundquist (College/SEC/CBS). However, they still have a really long way to catch my all-time favorite, Pat Summerall.

I've always liked the way Keith Jackson called a game. He was college football royalty and a legend.

Back in the day, I liked Curt Gowdy and Charlie Jones (met him at the 96 Olympics) from the old AFL days. Pat Summerall and Tom Brookshire from the NFL were some old-school favorites.

Today, I like Gary Danielson, Kirk Herbstriet and Chris Fowler.

There are some great ones from baseball and golf, but the golf announcers always put me to sleep with all that whispering.

Originally posted by SoonerMikee05:
If you'll let me include radio, I would say Mike Treps. Many Saturday afternoons spent listening to him describe the Sooner dynasty of the early to mid 70's.
The John Brookes / Mike Treps combo will never be matched. Ever again.

I'd like to add one for consideration, but I'll have to defer to my horn friends for the name. I'm not even sure if he's still active. The horn PBP announcer for the radio broadcast of the horns-Michigan Rose Bowl game. Listened to that game driving back from Lawton, because it was 1) the only sports broadcast I could find, and 2) it was a darn good game. But I digress. That guy flat out called a GREAT game, and I was totally blown away by the quality of his presentation. My hat's off to him.

I'd like to add one for consideration, but I'll have to defer to my horn friends for the name. I'm not even sure if he's still active. The horn PBP announcer for the radio broadcast of the horns-Michigan Rose Bowl game. Listened to that game driving back from Lawton, because it was 1) the only sports broadcast I could find, and 2) it was a darn good game. But I digress. That guy flat out called a GREAT game, and I was totally blown away by the quality of his presentation. My hat's off to him.
Craig Way. Yes he's still there, & yes, he's very good.

My favorite team ever, fwiw, was back in the late 90's when Nessler & Danielson were paired together. Absolute pleasure to listen to.

Just don't give me a guy that yells for no reason in the name of enthusiasm, e.g. Dick Vitale, Gus Johnson, Chris Berman.

I was always a fan of Chris Schenkel, especially when he was calling the game with Bud Wilkinson doing the color. Together they called the first college football game duded "The Game of the Century".....the 1969 Texas - Arkansas game. Then, of course, Schenkel and Bud called the REAL "Game of the Century" in 1971....OU - Nebraska. He was replaced by Keith Jackson who spent one year on Monday Night Football, if I recall correctly. Schenkel continued to broadcast college football for ABC, but basically took a backseat to Jackson forever more. Regardless, Schenkel was ABC's lead anchor for many years including being the main guy during the 1972 Olympics. I always felt like Schenkel was a closet Sooner fan, unlike Keith Jackson who was a USC fan outwardly.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT