ADVERTISEMENT

Who can we afford?

I’m hoping recruiting picks up through the summer. I trust Venables approach and his ability to coach players up, like he said you just have to have guys who buy into what you’re doing and sprinkle in a few of the superstars. It appears that’s the way we’re headed like it or not but I have a hard time believing some of these Dlineman recruits etc won’t start coming our way pretty soon.

Reactions: iasooner2000

I’m hoping recruiting picks up through the summer. I trust Venables approach and his ability to coach players up, like he said you just have to have guys who buy into what you’re doing and sprinkle in a few of the superstars. It appears that’s the way we’re headed like it or not but I have a hard time believing some of these Dlineman recruits etc won’t start coming our way pretty soon.
Nelson was supposed to be our QB. What a piss poor joke that turned out to be.

Nelson was supposed to be our QB. What a piss poor joke that turned out to be.
Jackson Arnold, in the 2023 class from Denton, is a 5-star and with QB's Davis Beville transferring in from Pittsburgh and General Booty in from JC, it's possible Arnold can have a freshman year to develop if he doesn't start as a freshman.
Arnold was quickly recruited by Venables in January and has a huge potential.

Jackson Arnold, in the 2023 class from Denton, is a 5-star and with QB's Davis Beville transferring in from Pittsburgh and General Booty in from JC, it's possible Arnold can have a freshman year to develop if he doesn't start as a freshman.
No doubt I believe Arnold is the guy too

Hopefully, that’s not going to be necessary with Brent as head coach and the Oklahoma brand.
A poster on Orangebloods who would know is saying that money most definitely came into play with Manning and he signed a huge deal or agreed in principle to an NIl deal, however that works.Didn’t give numbers but he said huge so it wouldn’t surprise me if it was $5 mil+?

Reactions: Oklabama
That's great news! I do feel better knowing he's on the back porch, biding his time😁

A poster on Orangebloods who would know is saying that money most definitely came into play with Manning and he signed a huge deal or agreed in principle to an NIl deal, however that works.Didn’t give numbers but he said huge so it wouldn’t surprise me if it was $5 mil+?
I wouldn’t be surprised and you can bet Red McCombs put up tidy sum. Red will turn 95 this year so he’s all in.

I'm sure Manning is a very good QB, but watching tape, I don't think he's the best in this year's class. I don't see much difference between him and Arnold, I think Arnold has a little more speed. What Texas does have next year is probably one of the RB's in the country, but he wont be there to help Manning.

I'm sure Manning is a very good QB, but watching tape, I don't think he's the best in this year's class. I don't see much difference between him and Arnold, I think Arnold has a little more speed. What Texas does have next year is probably one of the RB's in the country, but he wont be there to help Manning.
As others have said take away the name and things are entirely different. On the other hand his name will probably bring in recruits so it makes sense but the money deal is what gets me.

Good point.
I wonder if Manning's last name was Smith or Jones, if he would get the ratings he'd received as a Manning.....and is he really better than Arnold ?
I thought Venables' recruitment of Arnold was a bit of a miracle given the sudden calamity at OU caused by Riley's exit and his deliberate attempt at poaching the OU roster and commitment list......as OU managed a recruiting class ranked 8th by Rivals.

Good point.
I wonder if Manning's last name was Smith or Jones, if he would get the ratings he'd received as a Manning.....and is he really better than Arnold ?
I thought Venables' recruitment of Arnold was a bit of a miracle given the sudden calamity at OU caused by Riley's exit and his deliberate attempt at poaching the OU roster and commitment list......as OU managed a recruiting class ranked 8th by Rivals.
I believe Arnold and Lebby had instant connection. Lebby is running an offense very similar to Denton Guyer's. I am told that Arnold was at the very top of Lebby/Venables QB list. Higher than Manning. I don't think OU showed much interest in Manning from the start and stopped recruiting a 2023 QB when Arnold committed.

Last edited:
I'm sure Texas fans are giddy at the prospect of their games against Kansas becoming more competitive.
Sark is one more loss to KU away from “getting the box” then the walk of shame. With problems glaring on the OL, the shorthorns are ready for the belly flop into the kiddie pool filled with jello.

I'm sure the manning's are already trying to control arch's entrance into the program and game plan also. Much like phil and chrissy simms. Horn fans better get ready for some quarterback drama between ewers and manning. Ha ha! Can the shark handle being told what to do by a players family? Mack couldn't handle it and made the wrong decision between applewhite and simms imo. This is the million dollar question.

On3 Sports has the avg NIL deal listed per school, for the 2023 class Texas is averaging $400K per recruit. Most of that is Manning getting 3.1 mil.

USC commit Malachi Nelson, the #2 overall recruit in the 2023 class and heir apparent to Caleb Williams, just signed an NIL deal with an LA based hospitality firm reportedly in the 7-figure range.

The term "best team money can buy" now is an epidemic upon the CFB landscape and will benefit only a handful of teams....which may not include OU.

Reactions: Oklabama
Manning is Chrissie Simms II. But he'll be like Simms impact and Jack Mildren's impact on their team's recruiting. And Oscar Robertson. And SuperBill Bradley. And Peyton Manning. And a dozen other great recruits in college over the years. Great recruits will come to join him. Bradley, MIldren, Simms, Peyton, Oscar and others saw their teams win a national title immediately after they graduated. With NIL, it may happen sooner for him. But the other guys stayed four years. I doubt he will.

OU is st 98K/recruit, but 500k is on Arnold, you take that away and average the other 8 and it comes out to about 10k/recruit.

I have a suspicion the NIL coupled with the transfer portal will drive away tons of fans. When high school kids become millionaires it will drive a wedge at some point.

Reactions: csreese
As a coach in Texas, there has been many discussions about how NIL deals will change things. There will be a lot of good coaches/teachers will be taking their retirement. Those kids with the deals will not want to play hard in high school risking injury and losing the scholarship, or some may just sit out their senior year altogether.

Reactions: Belldozer1
As a coach in Texas, there has been many discussions about how NIL deals will change things. There will be a lot of good coaches/teachers will be taking their retirement. Those kids with the deals will not want to play hard in high school risking injury and losing the scholarship, or some may just sit out their senior year altogether.
Recruiting kids in junior high, kids sittin out their senior season of hs, kids sittin out bowl games? Roger and the nfl owner's got a handle on folks like macdonald's does on snot nosed children. Fans are selfish for their own perverted reasons.

Rumor is Manning NIL deal is tied in with Lamborghini dealership. That was according to ESPN radio.

It seems to me that CFB is being turned into a money grab semi-pro league catering to a whore mentality.....as it destroys a sport that I have loved my entire life.
I totally agree. There are concerns everywhere that this will eventually destroy the game we all love at this level. I tend to think that way myself.

It is very telling when Ryan Day openly stated he needed $30M for recruiting to keep the Buckeyes relevent.

There are also concerns from HS coaches across the country who think this will start trickling down to the HS levels where kids playing the money sports wanting a piece of the pie from those schools.

Last edited:
I totally agree. There are concerns everywhere that this will eventually destroy the game we all love at this level. I tend to think that way myself.

It is very telling when Ryan Day openly stated he needed $30M for recruiting to keep the Buckeyes relevent.

There are also concerns from HS coaches across the country who think this will start trickling down to the HS levels where kids playing the money sports wanting a piece of the pie from those schools.
And this on top of the "all-about-me" antics and taunting that started in the NFL and has trickled into CFB at a greater frequency in the past 2-plus decades is hard to accept for me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT