ADVERTISEMENT

Which was worse?

kcstorm06

Sooner starter
Aug 31, 2006
Overland Park KS
Lincoln Riley with timeouts eating clock for a next to impossible FG?

Bookie making a mockery of Defense?

A Special teams that frankly has reached a new low?

A Head Coach that plays a phoney concern only when his wizardry from friggin Muleshoe TX collapses and fails?

This bar none is the worst fail in OU History since Barry stepped down. I am disgraced, but hey I should have seen it coming with Lincoln’s pussy attitude.

Complacency. Content for too long with getting by and winning the Big 12 and getting lucky to get in the playoffs only to be embarrassed. No desire to get better and fire to win a National Title. Oh sure they talk big before the season every year but thats all it is, is talk.
Grinch may need better players but if he cannot fix the tackling issue how will he be able to field a good defense?
Its a conundrum.

I think OU may be at a Florida State-type tipping point. Something needs to change or OU could be in danger of losing to the likes of Jacksonville State, like FSU nearly did today. This year (2020) is a lost year. The focus needs to be now on 2021 and to not continue what will (most certainly) happen the rest of this year. The defense, sadly, is no better than what lost OU two National Championships in 2017 and 2018. So let's just got forward to next year (ala the Cleveland Browns haha), focus on fixing that, and see what happens. (and get some WRs that can give Rattler some help). p.s. I think Rattler is really, really good - he just needs somebody that can get open and catch the ball.

Can we hire Mike Stoops back to just stand on the sidelines and yell at players when they need it? We all used to laugh at Mack Brown for the orange slices and coddling, Riley brings his millennial attitude to a big boy program thats used to being dominant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brittsdad
We all used to laugh at Mack Brown for the orange slices and coddling, Riley brings his millennial attitude to a big boy program thats used to bring dominant.
I agree it is an issue

Attitude starts with strength coach, he is the one guy that is with the players year round

Lincoln and the current crop deserve better fans. And I didn’t stutter. You are the fan base, act like Sooners.
Agree with you 100% AB, but I think you’re asking too much. These clowns pretty much run the board now, that’s why nobody posts here anymore.
I blame the weather reporter mostly; dam son flip the coin correctly 😉

It’s weird how cool rain affects some people but not others
I blame myself. For the first 3 games I forgot to put my Sooner flag up. But it’s up now.😊

You are right, the fan base is the problem with OU's football program. Blind loyalty is the bare minimum required...

Well let’s see. Would you rather have Jimbo or Tommy as your coach? How about other once proud programs - Florida State, Michigan, Nebraska, Tennessee, USC? When you name the top 5 coaches in the country, Lincoln is in there, and he’s the youngest. He has won 5 CCs in a row and I believe he will get over the hump in the playoffs, but not this year. Sometimes you have to reload like Saban did last year.

Reactions: iasooner1
Sorry guys, but this isn't about Lincoln, or the DC or lazy players or any of the conventional views of embarrassment for losing back to back to KState and Iowa State.

This is mostly about losing a ton of players, whose experience would have helped a bunch in a year where there was no spring ball, very limited summer work, and an uneven practice time in August.

Think of all the guys that we expected to have this season, that we don't have. Among the highest on the list would include

Tre Sermon
Kennedy Brooks
Rhamondre Stevenson
Trejan Bridges
Jadon Haselwood
A fully healthy Theo Howard
EJ Ndoma-Ogar
Ronnie Perkins
Jalen Redmon

Except for N-O, all were major contributors previously as players. Howard was at UCLA.

We also have several more than a little overrated experienced players. I've never been particularly impressed with Deshaun White. Now he's in a place

where he should be an achiever and team leader. Instead, he seems to most often be a disappointment. And just about everybody in the OLine fills that description, especially the center, whom I've been told is a first round draft pick. I've never viewed our offensive that way.

Same thing with just about anybody in the secondary. That includes our defensive team captain.

OUr scheme against ISU last night, produced at least four, not too challenging chances for an interception. Somehow, we don't have anybody back there who can catch the damn ball.

I've said it for twenty years here. Players make plays, or they don't. Last year's senior class including early departures had a whole lot of guys who made players. Several weren't highly rated hs players. At least a couple of were walkon's. But they made plays.

I can think of maybe two experienced players on the defense who more than occasional players in their OU history. Brown has. But he's offset it by mostly being a petty lousy cover guy. Has OUr Dcaptain ever had a pick? If so, it's not many.

Perkins and Redmond were play makers. Bonito shows promise there. But without preparation, new guys have precious little chance to be prepared. I can't explain how KState and Iowa State were so lousy in week one. But they were damn sure better than us when it counted in the last two weeks. Having experience at quarterback was a big factor.

Right now, Rattler looks like a very talented freshman, who plays just enough like a freshman to make critical mistakes in crunch time. And his overrated OLine is a complicating factor, along with inexperienced running backs, too small to block a linebacker. And while I really like Drake Stoops, playing him because of all the missing WR's, isn't close to what we need to be a great football team.

I don't gamble, but if I did, and OU as a betting favorite against Texas stays, I'd find that a great way to make some money. This OU team looks like it will have to improve a lot to finish with fewer than four losses, unless the NCAA suddenly decides to let suspended players back on the field. And maybe even if they do.

Lincoln and the current crop deserve better fans. And I didn’t stutter. You are the fan base, act like Sooners.

I really thought I had him though. He juked to the left and it sucked me right out of my cleats. I'll do better.

Sorry guys, but this isn't about Lincoln, or the DC or lazy players or any of the conventional views of embarrassment for losing back to back to KState and Iowa State.

This is mostly about losing a ton of players, whose experience would have helped a bunch in a year where there was no spring ball, very limited summer work, and an uneven practice time in August.

Think of all the guys that we expected to have this season, that we don't have. Among the highest on the list would include

Tre Sermon
Kennedy Brooks
Rhamondre Stevenson
Trejan Bridges
Jadon Haselwood
A fully healthy Theo Howard
EJ Ndoma-Ogar
Ronnie Perkins
Jalen Redmon

Except for N-O, all were major contributors previously as players. Howard was at UCLA.

We also have several more than a little overrated experienced players. I've never been particularly impressed with Deshaun White. Now he's in a place

where he should be an achiever and team leader. Instead, he seems to most often be a disappointment. And just about everybody in the OLine fills that description, especially the center, whom I've been told is a first round draft pick. I've never viewed our offensive that way.

Same thing with just about anybody in the secondary. That includes our defensive team captain.

OUr scheme against ISU last night, produced at least four, not too challenging chances for an interception. Somehow, we don't have anybody back there who can catch the damn ball.

I've said it for twenty years here. Players make plays, or they don't. Last year's senior class including early departures had a whole lot of guys who made players. Several weren't highly rated hs players. At least a couple of were walkon's. But they made plays.

I can think of maybe two experienced players on the defense who more than occasional players in their OU history. Brown has. But he's offset it by mostly being a petty lousy cover guy. Has OUr Dcaptain ever had a pick? If so, it's not many.

Perkins and Redmond were play makers. Bonito shows promise there. But without preparation, new guys have precious little chance to be prepared. I can't explain how KState and Iowa State were so lousy in week one. But they were damn sure better than us when it counted in the last two weeks. Having experience at quarterback was a big factor.

Right now, Rattler looks like a very talented freshman, who plays just enough like a freshman to make critical mistakes in crunch time. And his overrated OLine is a complicating factor, along with inexperienced running backs, too small to block a linebacker. And while I really like Drake Stoops, playing him because of all the missing WR's, isn't close to what we need to be a great football team.

I don't gamble, but if I did, and OU as a betting favorite against Texas stays, I'd find that a great way to make some money. This OU team looks like it will have to improve a lot to finish with fewer than four losses, unless the NCAA suddenly decides to let suspended players back on the field. And maybe even if they do.

We are OU and should be able to beat KState and Iowa state without these guys. Honestly this sounds like a bunch of excuses to me. Kstate was missing a ton of guys including their entire secondary.

I did not see the hold until now on Rambo at the 20 yard line at the end of the game on a pass that was intercepted in the end zone. Riley was all over the zebras afterwards.
Rambo may not have caught the ball but he could have prevented the interception.

I wasn't belittling opponents, but surely you would agree the Iowa States of the world have no business beating OU
And I wasn’t belittling you. But sometimes the “Iowa States” DO beat OU.
As long as defensive play is not an OU priority, we will endure these kinds of defeats. Poor defensive makes OU vulnerable to almost everybody.

Lehman emphasizes this team does not look like they are in good physical condition, and it’s showing up in the second half

We sure do, don't we?
Winners succeed by expectation. You apparently don't expect shit.

Alfalfa dill

No stuttering here either.

And I wasn’t belittling you. But sometimes the “Iowa States” DO beat OU.
As long as defensive play is not an OU priority, we will endure these kinds of defeats. Poor defensive makes OU vulnerable to almost everybody.

Well Iowa State hasn't beaten us there since 1960. Plus we lost to Kstate in the same year with probably more to come.

Riley 4-4 vs ISU and KSU

I understand the occasional upsets but that is inexcusable, considering you are picking your 85 players before they pick a single one

Agreed, that is some of what I was referencing. Plaino and CT made valid points, but my issues are with a growing sampling of losing to inferior teams (bring out coached), losing big leads, decline in strength/conditioning, etc.

Well Iowa State hasn't beaten us there since 1960. Plus we lost to Kstate in the same year with probably more to come.
True. But with a much better OU team last season, we won by a point in Norman, when they went for two at the end, and it was stopped ... barely. They best us three years ago, with close to OUr best team in a decade. Iowa State isn't nearly as bad in the last five years, as they were in the 1900's. And they seem to have a way of doing things on O and D that for whatever reason, lines up pretty good against us.

My one added observation, is that KState's backup's in the secondary, seemed a whole lot better than our starters. I know their guys could tackle, and make you pay when they hit you. Nobody is particularly fearful of anybody in OUr secondary, nor really our LB's hitting them. Both ISU and KSU seem to have defenders that stick you pretty good.

You are right, the fan base is the problem with OU's football program. Blind loyalty is the bare minimum required...

Yeah bro. But we've won five straight conference titles, and been to four playoff games or whatever.

Are you guys going to sit here and tell me with a straight face that "the program isn't moving in the right direction"? That "Lincoln Riley is not meeting expectations"?

And what makes your whining even worse is that this is the weirdest of years anyway. With the opt-outs and suspensions, and social upheaval. Anything anybody wins this year is going to have an asterisk by it anyway, so, if this is going to be our once-in-generation 7-5, so be it. Couldn't have come at a better time.

Next year, we'll be back normal. So just take a deep breath, and stop ripping a great coach, and 19 and 20 year old kids.

Reactions: pssooner
Riley 4-4 vs ISU and KSU

I understand the occasional upsets but that is inexcusable, considering you are picking your 85 players before they pick a single one

You are right. There is absolutely no excuse for us to continually get beat by inferior competition. Its been a long time since OU made it through a season without one of these mind boggling upsets. I really don't even think we can call them upsets anymore since they have become routine

Reactions: OUSOONER67
ISU is well coached and they have a knack for getting quality WRs over 6’3”. They got jobbed out of their bedlam game VS the Hawkeyes this year and as we well know, we always get everyone’s best effort. They deserve congrats for knocking us down

Reactions: newnasty
Yeah bro. But we've won five straight conference titles, and been to four playoff games or whatever.

Are you guys going to sit here and tell me with a straight face that "the program isn't moving in the right direction"? That "Lincoln Riley is not meeting expectations"?

And what makes your whining even worse is that this is the weirdest of years anyway. With the opt-outs and suspensions, and social upheaval. Anything anybody wins this year is going to have an asterisk by it anyway, so, if this is going to be our once-in-generation 7-5, so be it. Couldn't have come at a better time.

Next year, we'll be back normal. So just take a deep breath, and stop ripping a great coach, and 19 and 20 year old kids.

Yes... and with a straight face.... OU isn't moving in the right direction. We are not who we think we were and while it is not fun, it is also ridiculous to think otherwise. Our Sooners have lost 2 games already.... 3 of their last four games. If you can't understand this, it's not my fault.

Last edited:

They are playing 10 games this year and will be lucky win half...bro. The programs direction hasn't moved since the playoff loss to Georgia, if anything it has changed for the worse. If conference championships are acceptable along with quick (and decided) dismissal in the first round of the playoffs I am sure you are happy. There are plenty of good things happening but not near enough, and more importantly, necessary changes are not being done. By the way, winning the Big 12 is being devalued each and every year by a combination of things, certainly OU's post season track record is not helping. I stood by OU through the 90's, and will continue to do so, but will call it like I see it. By the way how are all the other yearly powerhouse programs doing in this year of social justice issues, pandemic, etc. bro?

When a team plays without defense it can lose to any team, any time.
If that was OU’s only problem, they’d be in playoff contention. See ‘17, ‘18, ‘19.

Unfortunately all three phases are underperforming, indicating a much deeper issue in the program.

Hopefully this is a one year blip, due to no spring ball and reporting after the rest of the league to summer workouts.

It’s also possible defenses have started to catch up to Riley’s schemes. It’s inevitable, but would be terrible if his best years were wasted because of the defense.

If that was OU’s only problem, they’d be in playoff contention. See ‘17, ‘18, ‘19.

Unfortunately all three phases are underperforming, indicating a much deeper issue in the program.

Hopefully this is a one year blip, due to no spring ball and reporting after the rest of the league to summer workouts.

It’s also possible defenses have started to catch up to Riley’s schemes. It’s inevitable, but would be terrible if his best years were wasted because of the defense.
Sure they were in playoff contention and gave up 54, 45 and 63 points and once again OU’s great offenses couldn’t overcome the lack of defense.

Agree with you 100% AB, but I think you’re asking too much. These clowns pretty much run the board now, that’s why nobody posts here anymore.

I blame myself. For the first 3 games I forgot to put my Sooner flag up. But it’s up now.😊

Pretty much run the board here now? Most of us have been here 16 plus yrs. Where you been newbie?
As for OU Football the defense always gets the blame but its not just the defense that has laid eggs. Go back to the playoff game vs Bama. The Great OU Offense didn't exactly help out a lot when it was what 28-0 in the first qtr? What about the Offensive Genius vs LSU last year? LSU's offense made ours look like an afterthought.

As far as posters here being clowns for wanting better I don't recall any of us here calling a play or making boneheaded mistakes. We are just fans that are tired of settling for winning a weak conference. This is OU or used to be and we expect more not this TT crap football we have seen for the past several years.
Its your right to think OU has done great things in those years but it is my opinion we have not. Winning the Big 12 is not a big deal as some here would like to believe. We were damn lucky to win a few of them lately.
I don't believe OU is in the same Elite Status as tOSU, Bama and Clemson or even Georgia. We should have beaten Georgia in the Playoffs but bad Coaching cost us. The last 2 Playoffs we had no business being there. Just humiliating to watch the lack of Coaching and Talent on both sides of the ball.
You can settle for Big 12 Champs if you want, I expect more from OU, always have and always will. Thats what a Sooner Fan does.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT