ADVERTISEMENT

Which is OU's biggest addition: Hurts or Grinch ?

CTOkie

Sooner starter
Sep 20, 2001
Portland Ct.
My vote is for Grinch for his aptitude and how his coaching has resurrected OU's defense, and has made the future look good for defensive football. That was never more evident than last Saturday and that win signals a new beginning for OU to return to playing championship caliber defense.
Hurts is a great player, but Riley has an eye for great quarterbacks and he will always have quality at that position. Spencer Rattler and Tanner Mordecai are around for the future and Brock Vandagriff will come in 2021. (And for that matter, how many average QB's has OU had since the days of Josh Heupel ?)
I also add Coach Bedenbaugh who is finding and developing great offensive linemen. His work this year with a rebuilt line is incredible.
The future bodes well for OU and its coaching staff. I hope the staff can stay intact for a few years, but I know opportunities always come along.....but then, Riley also has a good eye for coaching talent as well.

Last edited:
Grinch for sure. I think it was Lamb that said after we beat the shortwhorns that the offense was feeding off of the play of the defense and it motivated them to get their job done even though they shot themselves in the foot a few times.
I can definately see that. I would guess in previous years the offense was just as upset with the defense as we all were during games in the past.
I hope Grinch can keep them grounded, focused and hungry for more and keep their heads from swelling too much.

This question was posed on another website and now that I think about it, it's a dumb question.
Hurts, even if he won a Heisman Award AND a national championship this year, could not equal the worth of a defensive coordinator like Grinch. It has been a lack of defense alone that prevented OU from a championship the past two years....even with two great quarterbacks.

I would also add that while I think Grinch has been more valuable Hurts is a close second. Riley went after Hurts for a reason. My guess is he knew Rattler was not ready and Mordecai was not ready either and with a new offensive line Hurts gave us the best chance to move the ball with his legs if need be until the O line gels. Also having Rattler around someone like Jalen for a year will pay dividends next year as I think Rattler will be the guy next season.
I think Jalen is doing great considering he has not been here very long, in a very short time he has had to learn a new system and try and gel with his offense in a short time before the season started. He is not perfect and is still learning under Riley, patience is needed just as it has been with Grinch and the defense this year. The sky is the limit and I think this team is going to get better and better along the way on both sides of the ball. Just a thought.

Guess Jalen had a knock on his throwing hand in Q1 so he showed his moxie to play through. Something did not seem right with him. Now truth is known he was not in tip top shape to be slinging the ball.

Not doubting you, but where are you seeing this? I haven't seen any reports on it.

Edit: Just found the story. Thanks.

Reactions: iasooner1
Grinch.

Hopefully, Grinch will have a huge impact upon the Sooners defense for many years to come.

Hurts is a one year deal. He is a great contributor for one year.

Hoping LR is also listening and paying attention to Grinch, so when he inevitably leaves, LR will know what to look for in the next coach.

Grinch without a doubt. I love his approach to the game and what he demands of his defensive players. This was lacking with MS. You can tell this D buys into his system and he has them flying around the field like we seen back in the early period days of Stoops.

This may sound dumb, but having Jalen Hurts as our quarterback is a big deal just as having Dave Robertson step in and allowing Steve Davis time to develop. Hurts and Robertson....one year starters for OU but both filled an important need. I think we may appreciate Hurts more next season than this year.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT