ADVERTISEMENT

What's the game plan for UT's Devin Duvernay?

Phaeded

Sooner starter
Jun 5, 2001
Sure there is a sound argument against trying to take one skill player out of the game, but Duvernay is #21 nationally in receiving yards per game and I don't see any other Horn "playmakers."
https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/13

We can try to spy Ehlinger but I think its a given he'll get 50 yards rushing and throw for 250+....I can live with that (and believe it is inevitable) because I assume our O will be much better than that. I just don't want to see an obvious playmaker have a career day on us; I have a long memory for Marty Gillyard, Rashon Woods, Dwayne Jarrett, Tyler Lockett, etc.. And I'm a little concerned when KU had nothing besides Pooka and he still had a 137 yards on us (6 yards a pop).

So...double coverage or put our best cover corner on him and hope for the best? I'd prefer the former, perhaps a nickel shadow our CB on him (and UT's running game has been mediocre - #62, mainly due to Ehlinger - so no reason not go nickel as a base D).

Reactions: JConXtsy
I think the two posts above are the answer.
I fear Sam will get 50 yards rushing with a spy and 200 without a spy.
We can shut that down if we are able to put pressure on him with just 4 or 5 guys.
He'll still get 50-75 yards and Duvernay may still get 150 yards.
But, if that is all they can get, we'll carry the Golden Hat back to Norman.

I want this game to be a good old fashion butt whipping handed out by our Sooners but I doubt it goes that way. Shutting down SE and limiting his ability to run and pass is the key in my opinion. If our D can force SE to abandon the run I think that presents problems for the Horns. The D is going to have to stay focused and disciplined for 4 quarters and avoid giving up the big plays.

What is going to be interesting is how the OU offense does early against the Tx D. If they can jump out to an early 14-0 type lead the odds really favor OU. CFD on ESPN is already leaning towards Texas to win basically saying that the Horn D will pressure JH into mistakes. They are basing that off the recent KU game where they said the Jayhawks D hassled JH all game.

i think OU will be ready to prove something and look for the Sooners to win 38-17.

Sure there is a sound argument against trying to take one skill player out of the game, but Duvernay is #21 nationally in receiving yards per game and I don't see any other Horn "playmakers."
https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/13

We can try to spy Ehlinger but I think its a given he'll get 50 yards rushing and throw for 250+....I can live with that (and believe it is inevitable) because I assume our O will be much better than that. I just don't want to see an obvious playmaker have a career day on us; I have a long memory for Marty Gillyard, Rashon Woods, Dwayne Jarrett, Tyler Lockett, etc.. And I'm a little concerned when KU had nothing besides Pooka and he still had a 137 yards on us (6 yards a pop).

So...double coverage or put our best cover corner on him and hope for the best? I'd prefer the former, perhaps a nickel shadow our CB on him (and UT's running game has been mediocre - #62, mainly due to Ehlinger - so no reason not go nickel as a base D).
I heard Jaden Davis has worked at nickel this week. Duvernay probably too fast for Bookie.

I think the two posts above are the answer.
I fear Sam will get 50 yards rushing with a spy and 200 without a spy.
We can shut that down if we are able to put pressure on him with just 4 or 5 guys.
He'll still get 50-75 yards and Duvernay may still get 150 yards.
But, if that is all they can get, we'll carry the Golden Hat back to Norman.

You are right about Ehlinger. We need to spy him. If he can control the clock with 15-20 runs for 100+ yards then OU loses in my opinion.

He's a better thrower than previously but he's still not an elite passing quarterback. We need to shut down his strength which is running.

Tom Herman has backed off on calling designed QB runs for Ehlinger probably because Ehlinger has a concussion history. But make no mistake for this game he's going to let Ehlinger run all over the place. I predict that Texas will call at least 15 designed QB runs for him in this game.

As for Duvernay, we really don't have anybody who can cover him one on one. We're going to have to shade safety help over to his side. That would put Collin Johnson in single coverage all day, which could be disastrous for us. However CJ despite all his natural talent and 6'6" height has underperformed for the horns in my opinion. He's had a few good catches but overall I'd say Texas fans would say his overall performance has been lackluster compared to the hype he came in with.

I would treat Duvernay as the main receiving threat for Texas and roll the dice on Collin Johnson.

If Texas can beat us with CJ then you just have to tip your hat to them.

ADVERTISEMENT