ADVERTISEMENT

What we learned on Saturday

Scottsdale.Sooner

Sooner starter
Jan 2, 2012
Scottsdale, Arizona (most of the time)
1. OU has the personnel but lacks at defensive identity.
2. OU cannot tackle or wrap up very well.
3. Our DL has weaknesses.
4. Mike is still Mike. He has work to do.
5. Kyler Murray is better than any of us could have expected.
6. rtsportsuploads is my hero. Within 20 minutes of this game being over he posted 30 minutes of game highlights on Youtube. This is unimportant to anyone with the ability to watch the game live.
7. ISU is a pretty good team but we made them look better on a few occasions.
8. OU is still undefeated but I suspect the margin of difference between us and the likes of TCU & WVU is less than we like this year.

What I learned:
All of what Scottsdale stated, but simply that 2018 will be more of the same.
Arena-style football with no defensive worthiness to win a national championship.
Games with TCU, Texas, KSU, OSU and West Virginia will be dog fights and a trip to Lubbock the week before OSU looks very scary.
Another winning season and a bowl appearance will be a certainty.
After watching Alabama and Ohio State, I believe all roads to a national championship go through these two teams....and OU does not look like it has what it takes to derail either team. Losing Anderson and hearing of Caleb Kelly's regression won't help either.

6. rtsportsuploads is my hero. Within 20 minutes of this game being over he posted 30 minutes of game highlights on Youtube. This is unimportant to anyone with the ability to watch the game live.
8. OU is still undefeated but I suspect the margin of difference between us and the likes of TCU & WVU is less than we like this year.
S.S...Your post does a Great Job of helping sort out, and clarify, the thoughts swirling around in my head ever since the game ended. Thanks!

Yesterday's Game lacked the Razzle-Dazzle that we so enjoyed the first two, where OUr Sooners got out the gate early, and put us on a show...Offense? Check...Defense? Check...Special Teams? Check.

In those, there were enough Good things happening to cover up the Bad, but now we've been exposed. Now, it's time for our Coaches to earn their pay, and, along with the players, put in the work to close the 'holes' and clean up the house...

I dread the thought of spending another season wondering which team will show up, week, after week...

What I learned:
Arena-style football with no defensive worthiness to win a national championship.
Games with TCU, Texas, KSU, OSU and West Virginia will be dog fights and a trip to Lubbock the week before OSU looks very scary.
After watching Alabama and Ohio State, I believe all roads to a national championship go through these two teams....and OU does not look like it has what it takes to derail either team. Losing Anderson and hearing of Caleb Kelly's regression won't help either.
Another good post, CT...

After watching true and TCU, I questioned whether or not OU could play with either of them. Let the 'Second-Guessing' begin.:rolleyes:

How Great it would feel for OUr Sooners to prove the growing number of Doubters and Naysayers wrong! There's Time!

It seemed like our D regressed to last years identity of waiting for the ball to come to them, and making tackles falling backwards (more yards for the ball carrier), instead of filling the gaps and attacking the ball.

We did that last 2 games, so why the regression?

Tackling was terrible, I mean just awful. I saw several teams with the same issue. Does part of this have to do with teams having to re-teach how to tackle without leading with the head? Regardless, need to fix this problem ASAP.

D-Line probably suffered the most from the heat. They were subbing the personnel almost every play by the 2nd half. I don't remember a single play where our D-Line put pressure on a pass play without a blitz package helping, which was rare. Why let a QB sit back and pick apart a young D-Backfield all day? It was our Defensive identity from last year: Bend-but-hopefully-don't-break-as-much-as-their-defense-breaks-because-our-offense-is-stout.

On the bright side:

1. Sermon looked better this week than the previous two.

2. Our pass protection continues to be outstanding.

3. I'm not sure our offense is "better" this year vs. last, but it's possible it might be more consistent. Last year we seemed to be a little streaky on O. Maybe not so great at protecting leads. This year it looks like we can control the ball better (maybe, still not sure about this).

Reactions: iasooner1
Run blocking needs to catch up with the pass blocking. That stood out with holding calls on offense side.

Rubs forehead vigorously about the defense. Iowa was making a camp site in the Clones backfield last week. We had moments...brief and fleeting...of pressure on the QB. The DL is going to need MUCH more pressure on the QBs going forward. Motley needed to be benched after his abysmal play. Until we can truly put it all together on D, we will probably get picked apart easy. Tackling was flat out piss poor, so the D Coaches better earn their paycheck this week and beyond. They failed to earn it this week. Jack In Box remains on the slippery slope with cowboy boots on. He better find traction by time we get to Dallas. Things were exposed this week.

DEFENSE MUST IMPROVE and won't it be cool to have possibly two different Heissmen QB's in a row ?!

I learned in person that Bob outkicked his coverage & that MK products really work for Carol and that I probably won't ever get to go to another live game unless taken in a wheel chair :(

Hope you guys had a good time yesterday...even though game was not the hardened edge we hoped. I really hope running game improves. Kyler does not need ALL the pressure on him to keep this team on course play after play. We seem to be rather vanilla when it comes to life after Rodney’s injury.

We did. The Clone folks were gracious at tailgates beforehand but I knew better than to consume any booze in the heat. Had to get out of the sun at halftime for good and my son had to help drag my wrinkly old azz up the stairs to first concourse and plant me in a real chair for 2nd half. I made it out alive and only had about a 10 minute wait @ Hickory Park once traffic allowed

I think we need to throw OSU in with WV and TCU also. They looked really good against Boise

I think Special Counsel Mueller needs to grant immunity to Mike so we can find out the "good dirt" he has on Lincoln that makes Mikes' job secure. There has to be something criminal there.

Despite our present warts, If we go unscathed in conference play and don't sustain any major starter injuries, I see OUr Sooners opening a can on Alabama's - or anyone else for that matter - buttocks! This team is talent loaded. Call me crazy and a blind homer if you are so inclined. But, that is how I truly feel.

We also learned that the ISU HC will get a much better job within 2 yrs. he can coach and coach up. WS

That^ I've been saying since finding out that MS was coming back that we should expect 50-48 type games in the big xii. Same coach, same players, so why all of sudden would we expect significant improvement. It's not MS coming back that has me bewildered, it's Lincoln Riley allowing it to happen when he had all of the reasons needed to ask for his resignation following the 2017 season. Feel sorry for the defensive players and hope it doesn't affect 2019/2020 recruiting.

Also, stated that the supposed qb battle was just to keep AK improving and that Kyler Murray was LR's starter as soon as he indicated he was coming back. He is good, very good but that should be no surprise considering what he did in Texas HS.

Still think we finish 11-1 because of LR and KM.

Boomer Sooner

Yep, Mike is still here so I am not surprised the Defense is the same. This is why I no longer buy into the hype anymore. I truly believe that as long as it stays this way LR will not win a National Title.
I really don't see OU in the playoffs this year, 10-2 is what I am thinking. We always lose one we should not lose and one other team will get us this year, maybe TCU or Okie Lite, never count out texass either, they worked over U$C pretty good last night.
And I hate to say it but unless OU has a horribe season with quite a few losses because of the defense MS won't be going anywhere anytime soon.
I will also add that the Defense has become the one thing that has taken away my excitement every year for a run at a Natty and I guess at some point over time you just don't care anymore, I am almost there sadly.

Yep, Mike is still here so I am not surprised the Defense is the same. This is why I no longer buy into the hype anymore. I truly believe that as long as it stays this way LR will not win a National Title.
I really don't see OU in the playoffs this year, 10-2 is what I am thinking. We always lose one we should not lose and one other team will get us this year, maybe TCU or Okie Lite, never count out texass either, they worked over U$C pretty good last night.
And I hate to say it but unless OU has a horribe season with quite a few losses because of the defense MS won't be going anywhere anytime soon.
I will also add that the Defense has become the one thing that has taken away my excitement every year for a run at a Natty and I guess at some point over time you just don't care anymore, I am almost there sadly.

I still Care, but I'm getting over it, to a certain degree. It's too Self-Defeating to get all fired up at the beginning of each new, and promising year, then have Hopes Dashed by Same Ol', Same Ol'...

I continue to wonder if there is any sort of 'Keep Mike' caveat/agreement, with Bob, that was built-into Lincoln's hiring, and that, if so, it expires after this year. Loyalty is admirable, but may come with a too-big price tag...

Is there any doubt ? When I was speaking to Mr & Mrs Coach yesterday I asked no probing questions at all, just thanked him again for posing for a pic with my kids so many years ago (spring break '01) & wished him a happy retirement and he kept repeating the stock "It was time" line... It's past time for me !

The world class defense notion spouted off before the season by LR not seen. A world class defense does not give up 27 points to a team fielding a back up QB, and basically 2 skilled above average athletes. I have seen close to world class defenses play in the 80’s and this team falls well short. I would say it is a fair assessment that the defense may improve some as season boiler plate is turned on higher. If not, it is equally fair to say that giving Jack In Box a raise AND a contract extension was not justified. One or two losses look to be a good bet sad to say...from a team that has an above average offense and average defense if not below.

Last edited:
I still Care, but I'm getting over it, to a certain degree. It's too Self-Defeating to get all fired up at the beginning of each new, and promising year, then have Hopes Dashed by Same Ol', Same Ol'...

I continue to wonder if there is any sort of 'Keep Mike' caveat/agreement, with Bob, that was built-into Lincoln's hiring, and that, if so, it expires after this year. Loyalty is admirable, but may come with a too-big price tag...

My sentiments exactly! Its just very frustrating to see year after year and scratch your head wondering why its acceptable at a program like OU.
Maybe he has and I have missed it but I would love to see LR get in some defensive players and coaches faces and chew some butt when they are not doing their dang jobs.

I am pretty sure Arkansas will be looking for a new coach within the next 2 years.

I live here in Arkiesaw, they are wanting a new one now just 3 games into the season. They are in full meltdown mode after a blowout loss to North Texas at Home. I must admit I am enjoying it quite a bit, most delusional fanbase I have ever seen. They think they are Bama without any of the success. Lmao.

Last edited:

Sadly its that way every year. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

I live here in Arkiesaw, they are wanting a new one now just 3 games into the season. They are in full meltdown mode after a blowout loss to North Texas at Home. I must admit I am enjoying it quite a bit, most delusional fanbase I have ever seen. They think they are Bama without any of the success. Lmao.

Yea I live here in Arkansas myself and I am just actually a few miles down the road from you if you still live in LR. At least I remember you saying that once. You are absolutely correct with your assesment of a good majority of Razerback radicals.

What I learned:

As long as Tua stays healthy, Alabama is 3 touchdowns better than anyone this year. Maybe more. The defense is the same as always, but their offense is several levels better than they've been in recent memory, and maybe ever.

That just goes to show you how bad Florida Atl. and UCLA were. Play a decent team and we can't tackle worth a darn and have trouble running the ball. Before the season I thought we would for sure win the big 12, but now its looking more doubtful especially with a trip to Morgantown. The RRR is also going to be a dog fight. Do we have the D this year? I'll believe it when I see it

Reactions: Senior Sooner
Mike seems to resort to his base d when doesn’t have a game plan set. Not sure if this is because he study game film or if really didn’t know what they might do differently w zeb. I guess Kelly and Lane are too predictable where as maybe Campbell is a wild card. I do know when your blocking 6 on 4 or 3 at times your not going to ever get any pressure. The problem with that is we have corners playing cover 0 and the lb’s and safeties in quarters a lot of times. Which is really helter skelter a lot of times. Campbell knew Roland would eventually connect with butler and he finally did because we left Motley on an island w no safety help. When that happened the flood gates flew open. Not exactly the defense we need to be playing in that scenario especially if you give a qb all day long.

Having read all of the concerns posted in this thread... I have one serious question regarding the balance of the 2018 schedule.

Who do you have beating the Sooners?

That just goes to show you how bad Florida Atl. and UCLA were. Play a decent team and we can't tackle worth a darn and have trouble running the ball. Before the season I thought we would for sure win the big 12, but now its looking more doubtful especially with a trip to Morgantown. The RRR is also going to be a dog fight. Do we have the D this year? I'll believe it when I see it
This Nailed It, OUna...SAD, but True!

Last edited:
Fresno St scored just about as much on offense against UCLA as OU did. Their defense held them to 7 less points. Fresno defense held them to < 150 yards receiving and around 100 on the ground. OU allowed 129 rushing and 254 receiving. Good to know OUr defense has Fresno st to aspire to. MS should be proud. And if I'm not mistaken, it was a home game for UCLA. :mad:

Reactions: ohiosooner2
The possibilities are at TCU, Texas, KSU, at Tech, OSU, at West Virginia.

Well heck the possibilities are that they could lose every game. But the probability is that they won't. OU has some work to do, no doubt. But the season is young and so are some of the freshman starters on defense. They'll learn & grow.

My question was who beats them. Not the possibilities of who may beat them.
I don't see any of the teams on the schedule beating OU unless serious injuries at a key position(s) occurs. At this point in the season though, I don't see them winning a playoff game.

ADVERTISEMENT