ADVERTISEMENT

What I saw in a great win.

Plainosooner

Sooner starter
Oct 20, 2002
Plano, TX
Not sure who deserves top billing. Since he's a player, I'd choose Mayfield. Folks, I believe we have found ourselves a quarterback. Quarterbacks have to have all sorts of attributes, besides being able to know everything about the offense, execute, be fundamentally sound in everything from making handoffs to throwing a tight spiral. But its about three things more than anything else. First you have to be a leader, second you have to make plays and third you have to not killer yourself with mistakes.

For a guy supposed to be too short and too slow, he has the playmaking gene we haven't seen since that kid quarterbacking the Eagles now. I don't know how many tackles he broke scrambling tonight, but it was easily more than 20. And against all those athletes on an SEC defense with their crowd going crazy.

He threw two picks. One was half on him, for a high throw on the first possession, but it was as much alligator arms on Westbrook. BTW,Dede, ,you're not in juco any more. I know you were a star there. I thought Mayfield was terrific for three quarters and brilliant for one plus overtime. It's just he wasn't getting much help for the first three. But there is a charisma about him that is difference making. We're going to have to live with some imperfect throws and maybe some at very inopportune times. And we're also going to have to fear for his body beating over the course of 13 games. But feel pretty confident that we have OUr quarterback. And while Landry made some throws that Baker can only aspire to, I don't know if we've seen a quarterback make lemonade more in the Stoops era.

He's not an elite NFL guy like Sammy. And won't be as prolific. But in this day when defense can dictate what you can do, at least some, and when we have maybe the least effective OLine since late 2001, Baker can take a broken play and make something really good happen. Living his dream? Might end up being OUr dream.

Billing 1A goes to the other Stoops brother. (btw, a great night for the brothers Stoops. Mark's guys beat the old ball coach tonight in Columbia, South Carolina to also go to 2-0) OU's defense had trouble with one little UTenn offensive abnormality in the first half. They were running an inside zone read. Instead of blocking down and leaving the outside box defender unblocked and reading his reaction, they left the three technique unblocked and even with less space, the less mobile DT, couldn't take the runner and the quarterback and was easier to read.

Everything UTenn did in the first half was based on how well that was working. It set up play action. But mostly, we didn't really stop it. However, it was fixed at halftime. The gaps all got counted. And it looked a lot more like most of game one. Without the shutdown, the offense wouldn't have a chance to catch up. It was a brilliant performance by a much maligned DC. The Vols were and are a really good offensive team.

I think Zach Sanchez is the best corner at OU in years. He gives up a play occasionally, but what corner doesn't. Zach makes plays. And tonight, with sizable backs and a run game intent on making him make tackles against those guys, was a little tentative on the first one, and then got it done afterward. And then he made a pick to end the game. He spends most of his time on an island and he stands up incredibly well. And he is the rare corner who is good in man and good in zone.

I think that the combination of Walker and Wade might be getting it. Both had some big time push tonight when it was most needed. Walker seems to have become a factor. A play maker. An occupier of blockers. And Wade did the same. And when it got really close to must stop time, they played together in the fourth on the most crucial downs.

There was some greatness from the OC again. The Mixon running the zone read with Perine the RB was something good. And the little sublte move on fourth down for the tying touchdown was really the difference in the game. Running apparent zone read with Perine heading right to left, but really running the quarterback lead was wonderful. And that kid from Lake Travis showed he's a plus runner given a chance. Landry Jones doesn't make that play. Neither does Bradford. Having that prepared for fourth and goal from the two with the game on the line is the difference between one and one and 2-0.

Somebody teach OUr defenders how to recover a fumble.

Shep cost us some serious field position in the first half and early second for letting the ball hit the ground on three or four punts. But he made catches with the game on the line that only great players make. I think he shed a tear or two when it was over. Great play for the final touchdown. Greater play for the first touchdown that made it 17-10.

What a difference wide right made when it was 17-3. Even more crucial, and brilliant stand when it was 17-3 late third and Baker threw his second pick. Pretty sure the receiver ran a very unexpected route. But the defense didn't just hold them. They shoved them back. And once Mike saw how it was being blocked, he mixed up the blitzes in such a way that Butch wouldn't let his quarterback make a mistake. And the run plays that had worked so well in the first half, just weren't there in the second. That defensive series of downs after the interception, was the absolute key to the game. So long as it was only 14, there was still a chance.

Bob, please somebody besides number 5.

We got a break on the last regulation TD drive. Pretty sure Alvarez jumped a first and goal snap count. Not called. Butch was livid. But then they got Westbrook for holding on the next snap.

First time I remember Sooner Magic since maybe Trevor's Sugar Bowl. It is so much sweeter when it comes in SEC territory.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.