ADVERTISEMENT

Weird, maybe funny story tonight in Plano.

Plainosooner

Sooner starter
Oct 20, 2002
Plano, TX
I haven't bought a new jock strap in a long time. I quit coaching a decade ago, and it was really the last time in needed one. I have an old one that ain't perfect, but it sort of does the job. But I needed a new one.

There is a dying mall one block from my house. There are still, two of the anchor department stores, J.C. Penney and Sears, and maybe a dozen remaining small shops. There used to be 50 or 60 and two other anchor stores. They're still not sure what they're going to do with the property.

So I went to four places that I figured might have a jock. The sporting goods store, which is really a tee shirt and shoe store didn't carry them. They sell shorts, uniform and college tee shirts and lots of shoes. No jock.

I went to an athletic shoes store. No jock.

But the weird, funny thing was where I started. J.C. Penney. I walked into the men's section and asked a young man, maybe 20, where they had their jock straps. He looked back at me like I look when my best nerd friend tries to explain computer function to me. So I asked him again where they had their jock straps, and he shrugged his shoulders. I said, do you no know what a jock strap is. He said no.

Somebody on the site likes to talk about the pussification of football. How about the whole culture?

And Collin Creek Mall in Plano does not have a single place to buy a jock.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.