ADVERTISEMENT

Wednesday with Bob Stoops

Carey Murdock

Sooner starter
Staff
Dec 6, 2001
Norman, OK
www.soonerscoop.com
Stoops on if he saw anything on the College Football Playoff rankings show...

Nah, not much.

Stoops on if he heard some of the comments from any of the committee members...

Not much. I don’t get a chance to hear many of them.

Stoops asked about veiled comments concerning Big 12's style of play for the second straight week...

Well again, that may happen from time-to-time. I think two strong contradictions are is to look at what Baylor did and the offense they put up on the NO. 1 defnese in the country in Michigan State. That waswn’t too long ago, 8 months. Then look what TCU did to the top offense in the SEC. Those are two top defenses in two defensive conferences that didn’t slow them down a bit. What did Baylor have? Over 600 yards passing on I think the No. 1 defense in the country. TCU, I don’t’ know what their stats were but they pretty much dominated the top defense in the SEC as well.

That’s what we deal with here.

So if they couldn’t do it, then they’re not paying much attention.

Q: I guess that’s the question, apparently they didn’t pay much attention. They were talking very nicely about your alma mater, which nothing against Iowa, but Jeff Long talked about good solid on both sides of the ball. Their biggest game of the year they won 10-6. 10-6 is alright but 70-53 is not OK?

Yeah, I guess. It just depends on who’s doing the talking but there are enough pens and paper out there for you guys to refute whatever they’re doing. I don’t need to do it. I gave you two strong examples of what we deal with. That ought to be plenty and it’s hard to deny those two examples.

Stoops asked if he tries to block out rankings and he's just done with rankings talk...

I’m done with this whole deal if this is all you guys are going to talk about. It’s a waste of time for me. I have nothing to do with it. I don’t care about it in that it doesn’t concern me this week. That’s for you guys to do and fans to do. They should do it. That isn’t what I do. I gotta go to work here in five minutes and watch practice and try and win this week. That isn’t an exaggeration, that’s all I’m consumed with and I’m tired of talking about it.

Dragging me into, 'now what’s he talking about this that and the other.' No I’m not. That’s why I don’t want to answer another question about it, I’ve got to play this week.

Stoops on if Dakota Austin and Zack Sanchez could play at the same time...

No.

Stoops asked if Baylor offensive line splits are wide...

Their line splits aren’t anything different.

Stoops on the wide, WR splits used by Baylor...

Yes and I thought I’ve addressed this a number of occasions. They’re so wide you have to choose if you’re going to go out and cover and be naked against the run and very short-handed against the run or are you going to squeeze the run and make them throw it outside.

When they throw it outside now you’re minus people. When you’re minus people you can’t play zone and it ends up where you’re playing man-to-man. Then someone tries to get out to help you but you’re so far removed it isn’t easy. Even if you’re in a zone, basically it comes down to your man-to-man.

Stoops on Baylor offensive line...

Yeah, they’re excellent. They’re what make it all go. Even if you try and stunt and move they’re experienced, they pick it up and they’re a really good group.

Stoops asked about Art Briles saying OU took the Lebby situation public...

I never said anything public.

Stoops reminded he was asked about in a press conference...

Yeah, but it was common knowledge when you asked me about it. And that didn’t become common knowledge from us.

I mean, when I heard about it, everybody knew about it.

In today’s world, really? You’re going to keep that private? What’s private anymore when half my players knew he was there.

So I made that public? That’s not true. Now when you ask me about it, I’m not going to lie. You guys ever heard me lie? You ask me about it I’ve got to answer.

Stoops asked if we could say he has fibbed on an injury or two...

Not really. Jason White’s knee was a sprain. It was a third degree sprain, but that’s what was on my sheet. A third degree sprain.

Stoops on if he got any clarification on how Lebby suspension would be carried out...

I don’t’ know. I don’t get any clarification.

Stoops on if he's worried about the way the suspension will be carried out...

No. I’m not concerned about it right now.

Stoops on what Charles Walker does well...

Everything. He’s strong, he’s powerful, he’s quick. He’s got long arms to separate from people. He’s been great run and pass. He’s been very strong, which he anticipated he would be, that he’d have a good year.

Stoops on how important defensive line depth is against Baylor...

Sure. And most everybody else. Unless you’re playing a team that goes slow and huddles. Then you get time to take a rest or get a break. That’s a little different. But against these kinds of teams, sure it is.

They’ve all shared snaps so nobody’s had to bear too much of the task. Yeah, it’s probably helping now.

Stoops on if QB depth can be overstated...

I don’t know, I guess it depends on who that guy is and who the next guy is. It depends on the next one coming in, what kind of ability he has. That’s probably a fair way to say it.

Stoops reminded dropoff from Sam Bradford to Landry Jones was severe...

That’s right. You lose your Heisman Trophy winner, there is a fair drop. But fair to say Landry, you see what he’s doing now, he was a good player. But not a Heisman Trophy winner. It changes things definitely.

Stoops on if Kenyon Frison is back practicing with the team...

Yeah. He’s eligible to play. He won’t play. He just started back this week.

Stoops on how strange it was that Lebby was a former player...

Yeah, exactly. Half our players knew he was here. Yeah, it’s different. I haven’t see ntaht before.

Stoops on if he has remained close to Lebby...

No. I always say hi and visit with him before the game. And I will again. That doesn’t... He made a wrong decision for whatever reason. But it’s not the end of the world.

Stoops on if Lebby has ever apologized...

No.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.