ADVERTISEMENT

We UNDER VALUE Bob Stoops - hear me out

NTheWater

Walk-on candidate
Gold Member
May 2, 2023
Melbourne, Florida
As someone who lived through the 90's of OU Football, I personally will always be grateful and appreciative to the work he had to do in order to clean up that SH7T SHOW. I think most people will quickly acknowledge this statement.

What got me REALLY thinking about this topic is Nick Saban. While he is considered the greatest to do it.... I think Bob Stoops is the SUPERIOUR representative of a program. Bob was always clear that he was NOT going to be a Bobby Bowden and coach until his last breath, but did not leave UNTIL the program was exceptionally well primed for continued growth and success. Most coaches almost PREFER their successors not be AS successful. They want to be viewed as the only one that could make it work. I an not saying Bob did not make mistakes and yes.... should have won a few more rings... But the integrity and consistency over his 20 years was truly amazing.

What a killer choice it must have been not to retain Josh Heupel as the OC. But he did what was required. The man who benefited the most!!!!!!

Lincoln Riley: The Luckiest man in the world and turning out to be over rated IMO
  1. Bob was a defensive coach and that was his specialty. But he always ensured the offense had excellent coaches and players (sans Chuck Long).
  2. When LR became OC we were already one of the top offenses in college football over the prior 20 years. That was ESTABLISHED BEFORE he arrived.
  3. Perfect timing - just when LR arrives, so do Baker Mayfield and soon Kyler Murry. I stand by the PROGRAM is why they came to OU and not LR. So LR was gifted two future Heisman winners. Yes, he had to put them in position, but his good timing lead to him being labeled the "offensive genius" and QB Whisper.
  4. Bob Stoops positioned him for that success. LR was not success of his own making. He was standing on the mountain Stoops handed him!
  5. That Success lead to Jalen Hurts and Caleb coming to OU.
  6. LR leaves the house Bob "REBUILT"... Caleb through pure talent IMO won a Heisman.
  7. Without the OU Program, LR has struggled and I don't think this will change anytime soon.
  8. LR should send Bob a couple million dollars a year as Thank YOU :)

Final Word: Bob still is such a positive influence on the program. Look at the man he helped groom from his time as a recruit when Bob was a grad assistant. We could be Texas and still struggling to find the "right" coach after 30 years.

In "Bob" I trust

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.