ADVERTISEMENT

We have problems, but Rattler getting a fair grade IMO

CFBS had him as a riser (and ahead of Ehlinger muhahaha). He has no doubt cost us some games (along with the D). But he definitely woke up after the benching. Need him to keep getting confidence and eliminate the mistakes.

https://cfbsaturdays.com/risers-in-the-cfb-saturdays-college-football-qb-rankings-october-11-2020/
The two games OU lost were much more because of the usually poor defense, not because of Rattler's INT's.
OU's averaged 44 points per game and scored 38 and 37 points in the two defeats. Teams.....good teams...should always win games when scoring 37-38 points.
Rattler's ceiling is extremely high and we have only seen a small portion of his potential.
As for his benching, wasn't he was injured and had to get treatment ? I saw him holding his upper right arm when Riley took him out. Maybe it was a benching to clear Rattler's head, but I think the physical precaution had more to do with it.

Reactions: bcsoonerfan
The two games OU lost were much more because of the usually poor defense, not because of Rattler's INT's.
OU's averaged 44 points per game and scored 38 and 37 points in the two defeats. Teams.....good teams...should always win games when scoring 37-38 points.
Rattler's ceiling is extremely high and we have only seen a small portion of his potential.
As for his benching, wasn't he was injured and had to get treatment ? I saw him holding his upper right arm when Riley took him out. Maybe it was a benching to clear Rattler's head, but I think the physical precaution had more to do with it.

He was flat-out benched.

Reactions: iasooner1
He was flat-out benched.
Rattler benefited from his benching, overcame it and learned from it. As he had his helmet off and was rubbing and shaking his right arm, the benching obviously served two purposes: to calm him down and to make sure he could play in the second half. Mordecai really came through and had a major impact in OU winning the game.
What Rattler needs now is having an offensive line to protect him. This year's o-line needs to step up. Rattler is a tough player but he does not have the mobility of Mayfield and Murray, so protection is more important than it was for his predecessors. Two of Rattler's turnovers vs Texas were the result of his protection breaking down.

I think Rattler has done pretty damn well for a RSFreshman. Rattler getting briefly benched may have helped him but to me it raised the question why didn't Riley ever bench Hurts after any of his horrific fumbles, interceptions etc.

Rattler is ahead of the curve. We could be a lot worse off. I look for significant improvement from him by season's end, to the point where he is one of the better QBs in the country.

I personally think he has met and exceeded expectations, but our bar at QB is set so high, he is behind only to that standard.

Yep. Getting compared to Mayfield, Murray, and Hurts, all of which were 4th year guys minimum - right, Mayfield wasn't a 3rd year guy was he? He had so many weird events, that I can't keep track.

Reactions: iasooner1
Rattler is as good as his Oline.

The 1st half, they couldn't block a fly. The run game was not consistent, Center,guard and tackles,were getting pushed around.

He's a redshift freshman and doesn't have the experience to manage a bad Oline. I think Jaleen masked a lot, last year. Nobody has been close to elite, including Humphrey, in 2 years.

Stupid mistakes, plague these guys. I think on at least, half the plays. One makes a mistake and cost the down. Sometimes more then one. The good news, they're some young, talented and nasty guys waiting. A few bust that won't workout. Tackle is the biggest issue.

Rattler is as good as his Oline.

The 1st half, they couldn't block a fly. The run game was not consistent, Center,guard and tackles,were getting pushed around.

He's a redshift freshman and doesn't have the experience to manage a bad Oline.

Remember the first game played at the new Cowboys' stadium? OU-BYU. Everyone was so pumped up by how badass Sam Bradford was that we all neglected that he was behind an experienced line. Got jacked in that game, then got jacked again against Saxet.

I respectfully disagree w/ your statement that the INTs and turnovers did not cost us the game(s). A team can NOT give up four turnovers and expect to win. Go look at the percentages of games when a team is a -4 in turnovers. It's staggering on the loss side.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree w/ your statement that the INTs and turnovers did not cost us the game(s). A team can NOT give up four turnovers and expect to win. Go look at the percentages of games when a team is a -4 in turnovers. It's staggering on the loss side.
Against Texas, two of the turnovers were due to poor protection.....but of course Rattler made mistakes. All he did otherwise was engineer 46 of OU's 53 points.
As for the two losses, Rattler made mistakes and the defense played its usually poor game, so these two factors combined killed OU's chances of winning.
And if a team has a 21 point lead, as OU did on KSU, the percentages of games won when a team leads 35-14 in the 3rd quarter are also staggering on the win side.
When and if Grinch can build a defense, Rattler's mistakes won't as magnified as they have been this season.
I adhere to the old philosophy that "offense sells tickets, defense wins games". At OU it's "offense HAS to win games, defense CAN'T win games".

We have first-world, blue-blood-football-program problems.

Texas is a dumpster fire that's falling over a cliff.

Be thankful we're OU fans ladies and gentlemen. Be very, very thankful.

We have first-world, blue-blood-football-program problems.

Texas is a dumpster fire that's falling over a cliff.

Be thankful we're OU fans ladies and gentlemen. Be very, very thankful.
What I can't figure out is why Texas recruits such highly regarded talent, yet can't develop that talent worthy of even a conference championship.
The 2021 commitment list as of today has Texas rated 18th. Last year it was 14th and in 2018 and 2019 it was rated 4th....which indicates a drop-off in 2020 and 2021.
Maybe some recruits are seeing that "the emperor has no clothes", which in my opinion is inexcusable given the history and resources at Texas. Mathew McConaughey must be working hard on another pep talk.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
Rattler is the least of this team’s problems

Though i don’t agree with letting him run it so much
We need to remember that Rattler came to OU right out of high school and was redshirted his first year aside from 4 games. He did not have previos varsity experience like Mayfield (Texas Tech), Murray (ATM) and Hurts (Alabama) who were two Heisman winners and a Heisman finalist.
He had mistakes in the KSU and ISU games and those issues were magnified by OU 's typically weak defense, something the three more experienced QB's were able to overcome on numerous occasions.
Agree, Rattler is indeed the least of this team's problems.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT