ADVERTISEMENT

watching the game again have some questions and opinions

mikw36

Sooner commitment
Gold Member
Jan 20, 2002
I was watching the game again on dvr. I have been out of football for quite a while now. What defense are they running with they have 3 techniques with contain. It does not look sound at all. Many times in the first half Bond looks manned up on the TE and the 3's have contain? Another question I have is when they are in spread with single back and qb, OU is in a 3-1 alignment. Tennessee is running the read on them and killing them. The LB in that situation can't be right if he goes playside a qb pulls it and runs if he stays backside a they give it. Is this the kind of stuff they teach now?
I also am encouraged by our OL, they are young and make stupid mistakes but physically they don't look overwhelmed like I was expecting. I really like the DLs also. They aren't the biggest but they are very active and look like they play pretty good technique. Saw NG sticking his knee in the ground on double teams. Linebackers are finally working down hill pretty good, looks like Alexander is isn't completely sure. He gets his fit then motors down instead of running through it to make the play. Striker looked like he needs to quit talking and working on his technique. He looks great rushing the passer, but on multiple occasions when he lined up as a 9 he gave up contain. I don't know if he is just not strong enough to push pull and get his head back across or if he is just doing his own thing out there. Thought DJ Ward had a good game. Most impressed with Bond. He drove flats really well, also he did a decent job of keeping contain. Bond is a DIFFERENCE MAKER, coming of the edge his is very very fast and strong enough to rip through. When he is in a twist it is pretty special how fast he closes. At the end of the day looked like we could count to 11 on both sides of the football, and they were getting their calls in on time. This is a new concept from last year. I think early in the game our backs were not confident with the blocking. Many times if they wait just a split second the hole was opening but they broke it backside into a defender. But even the second time we wonned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.