ADVERTISEMENT

Was the ACC overrated this year?

SoonerSA

Sooner commitment
Sep 20, 2006
Both ND and Clemson were crushed by their opponents in CFB semi's. Miami was beaten by OK St without Hubbard. The Tar Heels and NC St. remain the last chance for the ACC to put a win their column (0-4) and the Heels are playing a pretty good Texas aggie team (although a number of opt outs may hurt them) and State goes against Kentucky. So the question is should ND have been passed over for the semi's? They didn't win their conference. As some of the announcers, analysts and coaches have stated the CFB Championship should be expanded.

The pillow fight conference. Big 12 really has slid down too. Next year could see more of same. Top 3 in no order should be us, Bama. and The Ohio State.

Last edited:
Reactions: iasooner1
Miami was beaten by Ok State without Hubbard and with Wallace opting out during the first half.
Domers have always been and will always be overrated.
No expansion of playoffs for me.
Even with just 4 teams, we see too many blowout games.
Adding 4 more teams will just add another 3-4 blowout games.
Most bowls were entertaining this year. The 4 team playoff works for me, even if OU doesn't get in.

Reactions: 54T
Kelly is an idiot. Down 24 with a minute left, the domers score and what to do? Let's kick the extra point. How about going for two? Make it and then you have a chance to get lucky two more times and get to overtime.
3x8=24 How does a HC not know this at that point of the game?

Kelly is an idiot. Down 24 with a minute left, the domers score and what to do? Let's kick the extra point. How about going for two? Make it and then you have a chance to get lucky two more times and get to overtime.
3x8=24 How does a HC not know this at that point of the game?
Agree.....that decision by Coach Kelly to kick the extra point and stay THREE scores down (at 31-14) was a head scracher.

The ACC has been bad for a long time and they are probably the worse "power 5" conference top to bottom

Its all relative.

Well the ACC Conference did win 3 National Championships in the last 10 years (2018, 2016/ Clemson) and 2013 (Florida State).

I believe the last time the Big 12 won a National Championship was in 2005 (Texas).
The last time the Pac 12 won a National Championship was in 2004 (USC).

With the ACC now having its own TV network (ACCN), the Big 12 is the only P-5 Conference without its own TV network.

With the Big 12 having its GOR's and TV contracts expiring in 2024, do you anticipate any Big 12 Conference changes.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
A lot of things happened to Clemson. I think ND was overrated. Clemson had the misfortune of having their best safety get a targeting in the 2nd half of the CCG, and it was a big factor when tOSU was running off to a 35-14 halftime lead. Then they lost their best ILB to a questionable targeting in the first half.

Whether it was or not, replacing those guys against a really good Ohio State team made it tough.

And Ohio State had one of those mega focused efforts after how the game ended last season. They played way better than they'd played all season. The score of their loss last season had been on the wall of their dressing room all year. It didn't help the Tigers that they were missing their OC at the game. Not excuse, just another factor.

They did make Lawrence look ordinary for the first time in his career. And a huge difference maker for the Buckeyes was Sermon. The last three or four games, he was amazing.

Its all relative.

Well the ACC Conference did win 3 National Championships in the last 10 years (2018, 2016/ Clemson) and 2013 (Florida State).

I believe the last time the Big 12 won a National Championship was in 2005 (Texas).

With the ACC now having its own TV network (ACCN), the Big 12 is the only P-5 Conference without its own TV network.

With the Big 12 having its GOR's and TV contracts expiring in 2024, do you anticipate any Big 12 Conference changes.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Nattys dont matter for conference strength. Top to bottom the ACC has been the #4-#7 conference for a long time.

The top team from any conference is probably good/great it is what is below that determines conference strength.

If you had a Big12/ACC or Big 10/ACC challenge in football the ACC would win maybe 3 games vs the Big 12 and maybe 1 game vs the Big Ten. That is how bad it is.

Miami was beaten by Ok State without Hubbard and with Wallace opting out during the first half.
Most bowls were entertaining this year. The 4 team playoff works for me, even if OU doesn't get in.

If the playoff was conference champs only it would be a better system

Notre Dame does get preferential treatment from the media and pollsters.....I just wish they weren't 9-2 against OU with one of OU's two wins against ND's weakest teams ever.

If the playoff was conference champs only it would be a better system
In theory only. This is why the committee was brought in. I agree with you, but the big money athletic departments won out. SEC won out as well as the one who dictates cfb rule, the NFL.

Might be time for Clemson to take a step back. Dabo and Venables seem to be losing their mojo

They've lost alot of players to the NFL and haven't replaced them. Having said this, Justin fields was in a zone last night. 22-28 w/ 6 TDs... geez he was on fire last night. But the pass rush was weak for Clemson.

Just finished watching ampersand U rally with 3 unanswered TD to win by 14 over MackB in the Orange. Bummer. Any chance we finish 5th with our big win? Naah

Just finished watching ampersand U rally with 3 unanswered TD to win by 14 over MackB in the Orange. Bummer. Any chance we finish 5th with our big win? Naah

Not that the AP or Coaches polls mean anything but this is how I see the Top 8 from both of them.

1. Bama/TOSU winner
2. Loser of above game
3. Texas A&M
4. Clemson
5. Oklahoma
6. Notre Dame
7. Georgia
8. Iowa State

Yeah after the freshman rb for aggie ran that 76yd td it seemed to take the life out of NC.
Was hoping for an aggie loss. MB and company had their chances, just couldn't finish the job.

Perhaps. Facts are that the ACC has TWICE as many championships during the BCS era as the Big 10. Twice as many. During the CFP era, the ACC has TWICE as many championships as the Big 10. The ACC has done this with multiple teams while the Big 10 has 1 team only who has wins.

I think the ACC is better than most people think. I used to watch them more when I was doing my residency there, but now that I'm back in Edmond, I don't watch them much.

I'll say this, the UNC squad was tied with the "vaunted #5" Aggies with 3:44 left to play and they had opt outs take away 91% of their TDs. I think Mack will make them pretty good again. Not a contender, but I can see them as Top 10 every year.

I just hate the Big 10 and I know, I haven't really answered the question.

Perhaps. Facts are that the ACC has TWICE as many championships during the BCS era as the Big 10. Twice as many. During the CFP era, the ACC has TWICE as many championships as the Big 10. The ACC has done this with multiple teams while the Big 10 has 1 team only who has wins.

I think the ACC is better than most people think. I used to watch them more when I was doing my residency there, but now that I'm back in Edmond, I don't watch them much.

I'll say this, the UNC squad was tied with the "vaunted #5" Aggies with 3:44 left to play and they had opt outs take away 91% of their TDs. I think Mack will make them pretty good again. Not a contender, but I can see them as Top 10 every year.

I just hate the Big 10 and I know, I haven't really answered the question.

That nice, the ACC has one good team and the rest are straight garbage. Easier to win a 'ship when you don't have to show anything or beat anyone good to get there. Clemson wouldn't have all those titles if they played in the Big Ten or any other conference.

The pillow fight conference. Big 12 really has slid down too. Next year could see more of same. Top 3 in no order should be us, Bama. and The Ohio State.

The Big 12 went 5-0 in conference play which is a great showing and testament of improvement really. Bama & tOSU lose quite alot of talent. I recognize that they have great talent sitting in the wings & just reload, but sometimes talent w/o experience can bite you. If the Sooners keep Perkins w/ all of the other guys they're returning they will be very very good next year. Possibly a top 5 defense. Add to that Rattler vying for a Heisman and we could have a great year. Especially if we catch the other two you mentioned in an 'off' year.

Its all relative.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
You know you guys are 1-9-1 all time against OU. We played a 4 times in the 50's when we were great, 3 times in the 60's when we weren't and twice in the 70's when we were great again, including dominating Pitt Dorsett's junior year.

Twice since. There is a lot to brag about in Pitt's history, but not much over here.

Reactions: newnasty
You know you guys are 1-9-1 all time against OU. We played a 4 times in the 50's when we were great, 3 times in the 60's when we weren't and twice in the 70's when we were great again, including dominating Pitt Dorsett's junior year.

Twice since. There is a lot to brag about in Pitt's history, but not much over here.

Both Oklahoma and Pitt have a proud history/tradition of producing some of the greatest football players.

Oklahoma had 21 players (6th tied among all colleges) and Pitt 18 players (10th tied among all colleges) admitted into the College Football Hall of Fame.

Additionally, Oklahoma and Pitt have many players admitted into the NFL Hall of Fame.

Oklahoma (5) NFL Hall of Fame Players:

Troy Aikman
Pat Bowlen
Tommy McDonald
Lee Roy Selman
Ron Wolf

Pittsburgh (9) NFL Hall of Fame Players:

Jimbo Covert
Mike Ditka
Chris Doleman
Tony Dorset
Russ Grimm
Rickey Jackson
Dan Marino
Curtis Martin
Joe Schmidt

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

You don't get to count Dorsett if you misspell his name.

I said you have a proud history. I was a Pitt fan for a decade 50 years ago. I knew about the PF HOF numbers. Lots of great NFL players come/came from western PA.

But on the field, OU has owned Pitt. And this season, the ACC was overrated. One of the reasons the SEC has such great bowl records historically, is they traditionally have so many games agaainst the ACC.

Last edited:
Not sure I'd call the ACC straight trash.

Combining the BCS era and the CFP era, the ACC has 4 wins: FSU'99, FSU'13, Clemson '16 and Clemson '18.

Combining the BCS era and the CFP era, the Big 12 has 2 wins: Oklahoma in '00 and Tejas in '06.

So during the modern era, their conference has won 2x as many at ours.

Reactions: Panthergrowl13
ADVERTISEMENT