ADVERTISEMENT

Venables looking meh

I’ve always liked Fields, he looks pretty dang good tonight. I was against OSU getting into the playoffs but they sure look like they belong tonight

Reactions: iasooner1
He ran like that his freshman year but injuries really caused him to lose a step or 2, he was getting caught in the backfield a lot and then of course his blown knee.

Reactions: 54T
If they play like they did tonight they can. Man, that was an ASS KICKING by the 11th best team in the country. Bet ya Dabo feels like a fool - nothing like pouring fuel on the fire.
I think the only thing Dabo may have done wrong was to rank OSU 11th.
He said they didn't play a full schedule, so he couldn't include them in his top 10.
To make his point, he should have said he couldn't include them and left them off his ballot completely.
He stated that the only reason for moving them down was their lack of games played, which I happen to agree with.

The M.O. for Venebles the last several years is pretty well known . I think he got it playing against OU. Clemson, more than anybody puts great effort into stealing play signals. It's complicated and requires great timing.

They have a generic lineup. Steal the offensive signal then call the defense. It's been very effective. They likely even transmit the play call. But there is a vulnerability. If the offense can run a play immediately during the D call, or before they get shifted, you can take advantage. Ohio State did on Sermon's 1st TD run.

Once the offense does that, then Clemson has to play like everybody else. That, plus missing their best safety in the 1st half for a targeting penalty against ND, and their best ILB for an iffy targeting penalty in the semi, set Ohio St up in great shape.

When you're counting on the cheat, and you don't have it, plans lead to what tOSU did to Clemson's defense. People start asking what's wrong with BV.

Reactions: kcstorm06
The M.O. for Venebles the last several years is pretty well known . I think he got it playing against OU. Clemson, more than anybody puts great effort into stealing play signals. It's complicated and requires great timing.

They have a generic lineup. Steal the offensive signal then call the defense. It's been very effective. They likely even transmit the play call. But there is a vulnerability. If the offense can run a play immediately during the D call, or before they get shifted, you can take advantage. Ohio State did on Sermon's 1st TD run.

Once the offense does that, then Clemson has to play like everybody else. That, plus missing their best safety in the 1st half for a targeting penalty against ND, and their best ILB for an iffy targeting penalty in the semi, set Ohio St up in great shape.

When you're counting on the cheat, and you don't have it, plans lead to what tOSU did to Clemson's defense. People start asking what's wrong with BV.

Well analyzed and stated. He was used to ridiculous DL talent. Now his armor has some tarnish and weak spots. Believe they will be a different team next year...several steps backwards...even in that crappy conference sans Notre Dame.

Reactions: iasooner1
During the early years of Veneble's defenses at OU he had some really good defensive linemen as well. When he doesn't have elite DL talent his defenses struggle.

^^^^ Truth^^^^^
And the fact is, it's like that for most if not all defenses. OU's defense has drastically improved because the DLine has drastically improved. It makes the back end look great when a RB can't run, and the qB is running for his life.

^^^^ Truth^^^^^
And the fact is, it's like that for most if not all defenses. OU's defense has drastically improved because the DLine has drastically improved. It makes the back end look great when a RB can't run, and the qB is running for his life.

There is no doubt that a good defensive line is what makes a good defense. When we had had guys like Tommie Harris, Gerald McCoy and Dusty Dvoracek it really helped because we didn't have to constantly blitz to get pressure on the QB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT