ADVERTISEMENT

UConn cancels entire 2020 season...

CTOkie

Sooner starter
Sep 20, 2001
Portland Ct.
and I'm not sure its absence will be noticed, even in Connecticut.
UConn, a "basketball school" just cannot compete on a Division 1 level because it is in an area (New England) that no longer has a college football culture and even teams like Syracuse, Rutgers, Boston College and Army have struggled to remain relevant on the CFB landscape.
Army may become more competitive in the future like the two other academy teams, Navy and Air Force, but outside of a 3 year run from 2016-2018 when it tallied a 29-10 record, there hasn't been much to get excited about since the days of Blanchard and Davis.
UConn must face reality and move to D-2 football.

I was in Iowa City all day today & an aide at the clinic was telling me about some bigX player “demands” swirling like 6 years of med insurance after graduation and a big cut of league revenue. If true the writing is on the wall

I never felt UConn could achieve and then maintain any relevance in D-1 football, even with three straight 8-win seasons from 2008-2010 following a 9-4 record in 2007.
And after losing to Oklahoma 48-20 in the 2011 Fiesta Bowl (following the 2010 season)....then having Coach Edsall sneak out immediately after the game to accept his "dream job" at Maryland....the team went into a death spiral which still continues.
I love living in Connecticut, but as a devout CFB fan, it's apparent to me that there isn't a culture for college football here, and I knew that before coming here in 1986. But my cable provider covers CFB very well as I have at least 12 stations showing games each week, so at 71 years I'm more than satisfied sitting in my "cave" with a kitchen and toilet 20 feet away and free admission/parking.....and with two big screen TVs going at the same time and a wife who loves football and baseball.
Most importantly, I get every OU game.

Last edited:
and I'm not sure its absence will be noticed, even in Connecticut.
UConn, a "basketball school" just cannot compete on a Division 1 level because it is in an area (New England) that no longer has a college football culture and even teams like Syracuse, Rutgers, Boston College and Army have struggled to remain relevant on the CFB landscape.
Army may become more competitive in the future like the two other academy teams, Navy and Air Force, but outside of a 3 year run from 2016-2018 when it tallied a 29-10 record, there hasn't been much to get excited about since the days of Blanchard and Davis.
UConn must face reality and move to D-2 football.
Correct if they cancel women’s bb then it means something. WS

ADVERTISEMENT