ADVERTISEMENT

Two weeks and....

I have long stated that I am 99% certain there will be no NCAA season.
And, if there is one, it won't complete.
I assumed the NFL would lead the way, Covid fears would shut them down and no one else would play.
High School has led the way this weekend, with a pretty full slate of 4A and under games in Texas.
I'm now a lot closer to 50/50 on the NCAA season and about 90% on the NFL season.

In Nebraska the Omaha Public School District has opted to not play any fall sports. The rest of the schools in the state are playing. Last night there were 13 or 14 games canceled due to Covid concerns. I'm hoping that the team I coach can complete their season. The funny part is that you spend 4 quarters playing against a team, but you can't go through a line and shake hands with them after the game.

Trinity Christian Academy- Cedar Hill, not far from Dallas, opened their season today against a school from another state. They were on one of the ESPN channels. Didn't watch much, but saw them lead early 14-0 and lead 42-14 later. They were coached by Deion Sanders. So some schools are playing, and have started.

Reactions: iasooner1
Trinity Christian Academy- Cedar Hill, not far from Dallas, opened their season today against a school from another state. They were on one of the ESPN channels. Didn't watch much, but saw them lead early 14-0 and lead 42-14 later. They were coached by Deion Sanders. So some schools are playing, and have started.
Plaino - Looks like about 250 games (500 teams) in Texas played this weekend. That would be 4A and lower. I'm not sure what delaying the start of 5A and 6A for a month accomplishes.

I'm curious about that too. I suspect it's in part about the big cities like Houston, Dallas and San Antonio, among others, where the vast majority of 6A and 5A schools come from. In those cities, they've wanted to slow down any movement toward resuming normalcy. Dallas had the interesting dilemma that they have several DISD schools that have ADM so small, that they are in 4A and 3A. But the district had an across the board limitation on when they could start. It puts them at a huge disadvantage against those in their districts and in the class, generally.

As a side note, TCCH where Deion coaches, got kicked out of TAPPS for ignoring transfer and recruiting rules. Not sure where they're playing. Maybe they are a high school independent. But they've surely started the new season off well.

Reactions: EagleZipperHero
Maybe it’s just the fact that it is such a larger group of people that it takes more time to test & find and isolate the cases where the virus are currently ?

Or they can’t come to terms over liability issues for the ‘big school’ games...

Last edited:
Reactions: Senior Sooner
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT