ADVERTISEMENT

True ? The Sooners must annihilate Iowa State

Is there any doubt about this statement ?
After watching them put it to UT I just hope we can eke out a victory. Did anyone see that game? It was like UT was at a practice and Iowa St just played really hard with the crowd behind them. Great game to watch. They shut UT out!! They got zero, nada nothing and Texas beat us. I just hope we are ready for these guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eh, not worried...besides, I've never 'worried' OU into a win.

Need to forget the team that Texas beat...I'd like to think that was the anomaly and the team that has beaten K-State, Tech and Kansas is what this team is all about now.

A lot of adversity in front of us with Baylor, TCU and the Pies, but I believe OU will give a good accounting of themselves.
Wait and see and in the mean time I'm giving this squad the benefit of any doubt.

They cannot be taken for granted, have a great young coach and have nothing to lose...
and obviously a whole lot to gain . Our defense and home crowd along with the offense must make them lay down and quit.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoonerTulsan
I do not believe anything is certain or necessary. The Sooners need to win a non nail biter. The bigger the win, the better. But better would be waxing Baylor, as unlikely as that might be.

I am less optimistic about OUr chances after seeing the rankings and the ESPN talking heads chatter. Alabama should not be ranked ahead of TCU and Baylor. The team that won AT Alabama lost to Memphis. They also beat Bama last year before TCU killed them in major bowl game.

Bama is ranked 4th based on recruiting grades and three years ago. They waxed Wisconsin, who is not the team they have been in recent years. The SEC is not that great this year based on performance. Auburn should have lost to an FCS school.

And they all play November patsies. Alabama beat UTenn about the way OU did, and OU played there. Bama edged them in Tuscaloosa.

But because of the prevailing bias, OU could use a Stanford win over ND and a Cardinal loss in the CCG. Or to Oregon. Michigan win Over tOSU would be wonderful. I am afraid we need more outside help than I thought we did a week ago. That's more important, than whether the Sooners win by 25 or more.

Last edited:
No. Beating ISU by 17 or 50 does nothing. Sooners need to soundly beat Baylor and TCU. Those wins would make statements on a national basis.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
I do not believe anything is certain or necessary. The Sooners need to win a non nail biter. The bigger the win, the better. But better would be waxing Baylor, as unlikely as that might be.

I am less optimistic about OUr chances after seeing the rankings and the ESPN talking heads chatter. Alabama should not be ranked ahead of TCU and Baylor. The team that won AT Alabama lost to Memphis. They also beat Bama last year before TCU killed them in major bowl game.

Bama is ranked 4th based on recruiting grades and three years ago. They waxed Wisconsin, who is not the team they have been in recent years. The SEC is not that great this year based on performance. Auburn should have lost to an FCS school.

And they all play November patsies. Alabama beat UTenn about the way OU did, and OU played there. Bama edged them in Tuscaloosa.

But because of the prevailing bias, OU could use a Stanford win over ND and a Cardinal loss in the CCG. Or to Oregon. Michigan win Over tOSU would be wonderful. I am afraid we need more outside help than I thought we did a week ago. That's more important, than whether the Sooners win by 25 or more.

OU has more "name" than TCU and Baylor. A November run will put us in the discussion. Add a very solid defensive finish, our odds are better. We can't control what happens with other teams obviously, but safe to assume there may be 6-8 teams with a realistic shot. As Herbie pointed out, a run like that would get attention and I think be tough to keep us out. Mayfield being on Heisman watch lists is another PR bonus. The computers and Committee should love us. Screw the ESPNSEC shills. They don't vote and I expect they'd lose support....Ala 2008.

Reactions: iasooner1
Unless they have two losses, which is possible, I cannot imagine a two loss SEC champ getting in over a one loss OU team. But I also would have great doubt that OU would go over Bama if both have one loss. It wouldn't break my heart if Florida lost another reg season game, and then won the SEC CCG.

It would really really help if Stanford beats ND. I think most everybody was surprised that the Irish were ranked fifth initially. It seems to me that the committee is living in the middle of the last decade, and anybody who beats USC must be great.

If Clemson wins out, they're in. If Michigan State or tOSU wins out, they're in. And apparently, if ND wins out, they're in. You start to run out of room if you're a one loss team, even if you run the November table in the XII. I know that OU has more history and tradition than Okie State, Baylor or TCU. But those guys won't get in with a loss. And they might get left out with out a loss. If OU were in their position, I believe we'd definitely get in if undefeated. OUr getting in with one, that now requires help, I suspect.

Other possibilities, undefeated Memphis, undefeated UHouston, one loss Stanford and perhaps even one loss Utah, though their loss to USC was more embarrassing than OUrs. None of those get in over Baylor or TCU if undefeated. Not sure if they would be ranked higher than 11-1 Oklahoma. OSU? If undefeated, that's an interesting question.

I think I'm hoping that we beat Baylor and TCU beats OSU and then we beat the Frogs and head to Stillwater. I'd take that, and take OUr chances.

Reactions: iasooner1
I'll bet it will be a perfect fall night for a game too, temps in mid 60's if not warmer. You & 22 better do your best to get the folks off their butts and be LOUD for the crimson & cream !

GO U ! I like it. Boomer !

Last edited:
Unless they have two losses, which is possible, I cannot imagine a two loss SEC champ getting in over a one loss OU team. But I also would have great doubt that OU would go over Bama if both have one loss. It wouldn't break my heart if Florida lost another reg season game, and then won the SEC CCG.

It would really really help if Stanford beats ND. I think most everybody was surprised that the Irish were ranked fifth initially. It seems to me that the committee is living in the middle of the last decade, and anybody who beats USC must be great.

If Clemson wins out, they're in. If Michigan State or tOSU wins out, they're in. And apparently, if ND wins out, they're in. You start to run out of room if you're a one loss team, even if you run the November table in the XII. I know that OU has more history and tradition than Okie State, Baylor or TCU. But those guys won't get in with a loss. And they might get left out with out a loss. If OU were in their position, I believe we'd definitely get in if undefeated. OUr getting in with one, that now requires help, I suspect.

Other possibilities, undefeated Memphis, undefeated UHouston, one loss Stanford and perhaps even one loss Utah, though their loss to USC was more embarrassing than OUrs. None of those get in over Baylor or TCU if undefeated. Not sure if they would be ranked higher than 11-1 Oklahoma. OSU? If undefeated, that's an interesting question.

I think I'm hoping that we beat Baylor and TCU beats OSU and then we beat the Frogs and head to Stillwater. I'd take that, and take OUr chances.

THAT should do it. We'll see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT