ADVERTISEMENT

Too “cute” on offense

kcstorm06

Sooner starter
Aug 31, 2006
Overland Park KS
No downfield plays on this shitty secondary?? Cone on LR quit screwing around and close this out. Tired up of seeing you wasting CeeDee Lamb on end around garbage. He is a downfield player you dolt !! You are far from genius.

we have had no big plays today. I agree Riley tried to get too cute on a couple of plays..........Hurts needs to calm down and make something happen

we have had no big plays today. I agree Riley tried to get too cute on a couple of plays..........Hurts needs to calm down and make something happen
C'mon now; 3 TD passes to Lamb, both Brooks & Hurts had about 100 yards each (1 for TD by Hurts). Plus one TD pass to Willis I believe. A tiny bit of credit is deserved by the steers D adjustments...

1st and goal at the 4 should have been 3 straight run plays

Yep. Also on 4th down after the "behind the back" play...we pass on 4th and a half yard? And of course the pass was tipped; ball over on downs.

And yes, "Brooks & Hurts had about 100 yards each", so let them (and Stevens for cripe's sake, and Sermon when healthy) do it on short yardage situations that make sense....like first and goal at the freaking 4 (instead we passed twice and then ran Hurts for a couple before the field goal). The truism "establish your toughness identity in the trenches" would not hurt. We appear to be a better run-blocking team than a pass-blocking team.

At least I'm not a Gator fan today - Mullens' playcalling was abysmal down the stretch (even that back up QB hail mary lob from inside the 5 was pure luck)

Reactions: iasooner1
The play that seemingly was doomed and seldom worked was the Lamb end around. It worked for Hollywood smaller & faster. but it does not for CeeDee. He is a downfield receiver and all his plays should be focused on his incredible talent there the rest of the way. Seems pretty dumb not to. Plus Brooks and Stevenson should be given some wheel routes. Again use their outside speed to full advantage. A basic play that can and will work...as it did for Mixon and Anderson often. His play calling while brilliant at times, took steps backwards at other times. Such a vast playbook to lay waste to dumb and ill timed play calls by Riley. Shorthorns had one of the worst defense pass coverages....so why not a big share of downfield passes? That really bothered me for us not to exploit that more with Rambo, Haselwood, and Morris.

I honestly believe Riley intentionally played his cards relatively close to the vest in this one. His play calling (other than the flea-flicker) was fairly vanilla and he opted to not showcase a significant part of his new arsenal in the game plan e.g. freshman five star receivers, tight end, etc. No sense tipping your hand until you have to--such as a rematch with the Horns or in a playoff game. The guy's brilliant offensively and, as the saying goes, "he's playing chess when everyone else is playing checkers" Tom Herman certainly couldn't argue the point.

I honestly believe Riley intentionally played his cards relatively close to the vest in this one.

Huh? Close to the vest is running it on 1st and goal at the 4 yard line, not airing it out twice.

Close to the vest means, in this instance, not doing anything particularly exotic or something we haven't seen before e.g. the Horns hadn't seen on film. It also means he didn't come close to using all of the weapons at his disposal.

No downfield plays on this shitty secondary?? Cone on LR quit screwing around and close this out. Tired up of seeing you wasting CeeDee Lamb on end around garbage. He is a downfield player you dolt !! You are far from genius.

Might have something to do with who's slinging it. Might have everything to do with who's slinging it.

If there hadn't been a fumble on the Texas 7 yard line and a pick in the end zone that cost OU two scores, would we be having this discussion ?

Jalen, while a good overall QB, cannot sling the ball like Baker or Kyler. They both threw quickly and on point. Jalen seems to think a second too long before lettng it go. The little out patterns in the backfield are thrown to soft. Baker and Kyler pivoted and got rid of it quickly. Jalen not so much. I haven't seen where Jalen will throw in tight coverage as Baker and Kyler did. JMHO

Might have something to do with who's slinging it. Might have everything to do with who's slinging it.

Jalen, while a good overall QB, cannot sling the ball like Baker or Kyler. They both threw quickly and on point. Jalen seems to think a second too long before lettng it go. The little out patterns in the backfield are thrown to soft. Baker and Kyler pivoted and got rid of it quickly. Jalen not so much. I haven't seen where Jalen will throw in tight coverage as Baker and Kyler did. JMHO
Exactly.

If there hadn't been a fumble on the Texas 7 yard line and a pick in the end zone that cost OU two scores, would we be having this discussion ?
Yep. I've been having it all yea . We have a stable of thoroughbreds at WR and TE but no one to deliver the mail. Even when he connects with wide open receivers, they are waiting or adjust every time.

I think it all boils down to chemistry, timing and trust with Jalen and his Receivers just as it does with any QB and his Receivers. It takes time and reps, practice practice and more practice as it does not happen overnight or just a few short months together. They will get there, patience.

Missing Sermon who played, but didn't touch the ball, and missing Calcaterra was a big factor. And we didn't block them well in the red zone running game, with a couple of exceptions. We used a really interesting blocking scheme on Hurts' TD in the 4th quarter. But they won more running play snaps when OU had the ball in the red zone than we did. GC is really important to us in the red zone, and Sermon is OUr best goal line runner. It made a difference.

Yep. I've been having it all yea . We have a stable of thoroughbreds at WR and TE but no one to deliver the mail. Even when he connects with wide open receivers, they are waiting or adjust every time.
Now that Hurts' injury to his right hand is known, maybe that's why.

I'm not sure how the absence or lack of touches for Calcaterra and Sermon respectively mattered. These are 2 of the deepest positions on the field. Lee Morris, Stogner, Brooks & rest of running backs are all outstanding. You guys act like Kevin Wilson is still calling plays. The only thing I ever criticize HCLR for is his occasional "Leach" brain cramp.

Which begs the question as to why you would throw on 1st and 2nd downs at the 4 yard line, especially when the run game is there.

This is right on point. Having watched just about all of Jalen's games while at Alabama, I can tell you "this is the real Jalen Hurts". He hasn't changed much from his days of playing for the Tide. Hey, I'm a fan, but I had no expectation of him coming to Norman and have Riley transform him into a Baker Mayfield or Kyler Murray type of quarterback. He is going to do a good job this year and OU will win a lot of games, but if you are expecting him to run the offense like his two predecessors you are most likely going to be disappointed. We have him for the 2019 season, and we are damn lucky, but wait until next year when we have a guy that is more capable of zinging the ball to expect to see Riley's entire offense hitting on all cylinders.

Not sure if LR subscribes fully to Leach's train of thought, but if he does, then down, distance, and field position do not predict or influence your play calling. That's part of its success.

ADVERTISEMENT