ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Herman Loves his Players; Here's the Proof

Herman may not have cleared the kid to play, but he played the kid. It was idiotic by all of those involved. Proof of his wherewithal came on 4th and 13 from the Oklahoma 34 with the game on the line. He threw the ball out of bounds as if he didn't know where he was or what was going on. He was an empty shell out there on that set of downs.

Herman may not have cleared the kid to play, but he played the kid. It was idiotic by all of those involved. Proof of his wherewithal came on 4th and 13 from the Oklahoma 34 with the game on the line. He threw the ball out of bounds as if he didn't know where he was or what was going on. He was an empty shell out there on that set of downs.
No, he threw that ball out of bounds since it was blatantly obvious his lineman just got flagged for holding. Why even throw the ball inbounds and risk a pick that could be ran back for points?? OU was going to decline the penalty and take the ball over on downs. So it was actually impressive Ehlinger was mindful enough to just throw it out of bounds and end the play.

I've heard the Texas medical staff cleared the kid to play, not Herman. If so, then the medical staff should have to answer for this. Doubt Herman would go against the advice of his medical staff on the sideline that is supposedly trained to make these decisions.

I'm trying to start a fire here.... quit whizzing on it.

Not sure about that. How could he know what the flag was for? How many players would throw it out in that situation? The smart move was to take the chance.
Because the hold was right in front of him, and the flag hit the ground in front of him where there was no possible way he didn't see it. Ya he could throw the ball downfield and take a chance, but it could also have been picked off and ran back for points?? Best case, is he could have thrown it downfield and prayed for a PI call to offset the holding. But how it happened, seeing your about to take a holding penalty on a 4th down, you are about to turn the ball over on downs literally no matter what you do from that point.

Because the hold was right in front of him, and the flag hit the ground in front of him where there was no possible way he didn't see it. Ya he could throw the ball downfield and take a chance, but it could also have been picked off and ran back for points?? Best case, is he could have thrown it downfield and prayed for a PI call to offset the holding. But how it happened, seeing your about to take a holding penalty on a 4th down, you are about to turn the ball over on downs literally no matter what you do from that point.

Yeah, I'm not arguing the capability of your point. I just don't believe any player is taught to predict a penalty and give up on a play due to it.

The flag comes at 35:01 and he throws it away at almost 35:08. That's almost 7 seconds of extending the play after he already knew it was a penalty against Texas. I still stick to the idea he had no idea what was going on. He had mashed potato brains here.

The flag comes at 35:01 and he throws it away at almost 35:08. That's almost 7 seconds of extending the play after he already knew it was a penalty against Texas. I still stick to the idea he had no idea what was going on. He had mashed potato brains here.

Stick with whatever idea meshes with the opinion you have set in your mind.

Ya I heard he smacked his head against against Okie State. Didn't get to see the play. Two smacks like that in consecutive weeks can't be good.

edit,
Just found the play on youtube. Ya he was a bit slow getting up after hitting the back of his head on the turf. He trotted right back out on the field. Nothing for anyone to think there was any issue at the time though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntin Hard
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT