ADVERTISEMENT

Tip O the cap to Mike

frou

Sooner starter
May 29, 2001
I've been tough on Mike's D but they rose up yesterday and showed they can play good solid football at times. Actually, other than a couple qtr's here and there they have played decent defense for "most" of the 4 games.

I thought WVU could break 40 yesterday but the D showed me. I still think we are going to have that "uh oh" qtr or half still coming but so far, I will call this defense improved and keep my fingers crossed that they will keep improving. I mean let's be honest, in todays college football holding a team to under 30 is "nice defense" it seems!

Tip of the cap to Mike and his defense today,,,,,,,and BEAT TEXAS!!

As long as Sanchez and Thomas are healthy enough and out of trouble enough to play well, we'll be a pretty good defense. Five turnovers including one for a touchdown on a day when you only give up 24 to a very productive offense is a really good day.

So long as OUr weakness in the OLine doesn't leave them out there for 90 snaps, we should be pretty good on the D side.

Reactions: Schoonerman
During the Fox pre-game show, Dave Wanstede (sp?) was critical of our D scheme saying we were not settled on a basic D and the lack of identity was a problem. I think just the opposite is true....we have an identity on D and it's "multiple". At various stages of the game yesterday we were in a Seahawks 3-3-5, a 4-2-5 & a 3-4. The down and distance versatility was never more evident than in the 3rd qtr. when, after being gashed in the run game, we went to a 3-4 and began crashing the OLB's. Game over. The best thing I have seen so far this year is from the sidelines and the press box on both sides of the ball....adjustments, communication, versatility. We get the stupid mistakes (penalties and TO's) cleaned up and continual improvement in the O-line and this team has a chance to be pretty salty come Nov.

During the Fox pre-game show, Dave Wanstede (sp?) was critical of our D scheme saying we were not settled on a basic D and the lack of identity was a problem. I think just the opposite is true....we have an identity on D and it's "multiple". At various stages of the game yesterday we were in a Seahawks 3-3-5, a 4-2-5 & a 3-4. The down and distance versatility was never more evident than in the 3rd qtr. when, after being gashed in the run game, we went to a 3-4 and began crashing the OLB's. Game over. The best thing I have seen so far this year is from the sidelines and the press box on both sides of the ball....adjustments, communication, versatility. We get the stupid mistakes (penalties and TO's) cleaned up and continual improvement in the O-line and this team has a chance to be pretty salty come Nov.

I too took an exception to Wannstedt's analysis of our D scheme and loved it when they analysts were making their predictions, Joel Klatt said he though this would be the game where OU's D would find their identity and step up big time against the Mountaineers. He was right.

FROU i need some new metal,what do you got? SPACEMETAL, mustash, mothership,sheavy,the black angles,the sword.

Try these gsx: New Disturbed, Saint Asonia, Exodus-Blood In Blood Out, Act Of Defiance. All good listens.

Reactions: gsxrace01
We're a lot deeper on defense. Guys like Obo and Ward should probably be getting more snaps but we've got more guys on the back end than we really can get on the field.

I've been tough on Mike's D but they rose up yesterday and showed they can play good solid football at times. Actually, other than a couple qtr's here and there they have played decent defense for "most" of the 4 games.

I thought WVU could break 40 yesterday but the D showed me. I still think we are going to have that "uh oh" qtr or half still coming but so far, I will call this defense improved and keep my fingers crossed that they will keep improving. I mean let's be honest, in todays college football holding a team to under 30 is "nice defense" it seems!

Tip of the cap to Mike and his defense today,,,,,,,and BEAT TEXAS!!
Mike Stoops is the best D coordinator in the country and he has proved it this year so far. Love seeing all the bashers eat their words after 4 games. The D is getting better and better each week.

BOOMER

Leaders stepped up
The guys where set and ready, before the ball was snapped
Sanchez, didn't bite on the double move
We actually made some adjustments that worked
Outside of the option read play, everyone played good assignment football

We did play better D but I'm not about to tip my hat to Mike Stoops. To many players and teams, have set records against, a Mike Stoops defense.

Pardon me but the jury is still out. The D play really well yesterday but stunk it up against Tulsa and the toughest part of the schedule is in November. It's when the wheels fell off the last 2 years.

Pardon me but the jury is still out. The D play really well yesterday but stunk it up against Tulsa and the toughest part of the schedule is in November. It's when the wheels fell off the last 2 years.
I'm not worried... striker and the boys just attack and pound offenses. Nobody will keep Baylor or Tcu under 35-38 so you simply try to get off the field in 2nd half

Too many dumb penalties on both sides of our lines yesterday. (And before yesterday has anyone ever heard of an illegal wedge on a kick return? Isn't that supposed to be the picket fence concept? Total head-scratch) It is clear to me at least that Mike is where he belongs, up in the box...

Mike Stoops is the best D coordinator in the country and he has proved it this year so far. Love seeing all the bashers eat their words after 4 games. The D is getting better and better each week.

BOOMER

Seeing bashers eat their words?? Where is this actually occurring?? Just to clarify...nobody is eating any words. Look back to last year, and 4 games into the season OU was 4-0 and there were people on here saying OU had a championship level defense......and we all know how last season ended don't we. The real tests to Mike's defense come later in the year. Let's hope this defense keeps getting better and better cuz they are going to need every bit of it. So tap the brakes just a bit. Lots of season left for things to improve, or get worse.

BOOMER
Say what? I'm not sure about being the best D coordinator in the country. He was surprised by the Texas QB run game. o_O

Reactions: BillyRay
The defense will need to step it up Saturday in order for OU to win. It will be interesting to see how Mike schemes for KSU. I would think he will turn his guys loose on the Wildcats QB(s) like he did against WVU instead of sitting back and reacting. I like our defense when we play aggressive.

Reactions: Got Rings?
Speaking of eating words....HAHAHA!!!!

Definitely not the best DC in the country. Having said that, the defense played well enough to win against ut. The oline and fumble on the kickoff cost us. Also if ou defenders dont give up on the fumble on the goal line ou wins, too. That was on the players, not the coach.

Reactions: gsxrace01
Mike Stoops came out with a 2-4-5 defense against UT knowing they would (or could) not throw the ball much. Result, UT ran the ball at will and no game time adjustments were made. The D did finally made a few stops in the 3&4qs but only after UT took the gas off the pedal with a 2 td lead. Yea, Mike is brilliant.

Reactions: BillyRay
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT