ADVERTISEMENT

This team has to get tougher

I think because of Young, and our being ranked so high, we get everyone’s best shot. And as a team, we don’t have the fortitude to step up. They’ve had some great games, but definitely nothing for any opponent to be scared of.

Smart basketball would be good. Fundamentals can win a crap ton of games, especially when you have a wooden award winner. There seems to be a loser mentality dark cloud brooding over the team for some reason. Like they’re perpetually trying to figure out how to finish games instead of just believing. It all boils down to the system and the players believing in it.

Sounds a lot like the Football Sooners. I was hearing great things early on about this BB team but I had my doubts they were as advertised. Seems to be a "thing" now at OU, praise praise praise then fail fail fail. The more praise thats put on the team the worse they play.

Come on guys.... It's obvious you only have a mind for football. The ONLY reason OU lost that game was poor shooting. Young, Manek and James all struggled mightily from the 3 point line all night. If just half of those shots fell, OU would've won the game by over 20 points, simple as that.

This team is TOUGH and never gives up, to say differently is just absurd. When you have a poor night shooting as a team, you're going to lose most of the time. As bad as they shot the ball, it's amazing how long they were able to stay in the game and that was due to hustle. How many quick dunks did OU have from getting back down the court FAST? A LOT!

Facts don't lie, just look at how poor our top 3 scorers shot last night and there's the reason we lost, no other reason.

Yes they did not shoot well, but five consecutive losses in road games against mostly unranked teams is a troubling trend that can not be boiled down to just bad shooting. Only WV was ranked. Something happens to this team on the road when it gets to winning time that prevents them from pulling out close games. Lack of leadership, toughness, confidence, whatever it is, it's more than just bad shooting.

Come on guys.... It's obvious you only have a mind for football. The ONLY reason OU lost that game was poor shooting. Young, Manek and James all struggled mightily from the 3 point line all night. If just half of those shots fell, OU would've won the game by over 20 points, simple as that.

This team is TOUGH and never gives up, to say differently is just absurd. When you have a poor night shooting as a team, you're going to lose most of the time. As bad as they shot the ball, it's amazing how long they were able to stay in the game and that was due to hustle. How many quick dunks did OU have from getting back down the court FAST? A LOT!

Facts don't lie, just look at how poor our top 3 scorers shot last night and there's the reason we lost, no other reason.

Its not only bad shooting as it it also falls on poor defensive play. So yes they do kind of mirror the football team. How many times do you see a defender 2 feet off the opposing shooter on the 3s? How many easy baskets does this team give up? This team like the football team relies to much on the offense and its the reason so many of these games are closer than they should be.

Its not only bad shooting as it it also falls on poor defensive play. So yes they do kind of mirror the football team. How many times do you see a defender 2 feet off the opposing shooter on the 3s? How many easy baskets does this team give up? This team like the football team relies to much on the offense and its the reason so many of these games are closer than they should be.
OU had just blown a 50-40 lead but than made another run to go up 66-57 and take back momentum. Next play they give up a wide open 3 pointer from the top of the arc. No one was within 3-4 feet. It gave me a terrible feeling and sure enough it was the start of a 13-0 run that saw a 9 point lead go to a 4 point deficit and that was it. Those defensive lapses have cost this team all year.

Whatever the reason, last night's loss was a YUGE disappointment. Several times I thought OU's got this one, only to go cold and let texas back in the game. That last few minutes where the horns outscored us 22-8 was like a death by a thousand cuts.

Maybe I bought into the early season hype. I was cautiously optimistic when the writers said OU would finish 6th in the conference. Seemed like OU was going to surprise some people, but now reality has set in and it does appear as though OU will mostly like finish 6th, get bounced in the 2nd round of the B12, get a 6 or 7 seed in the Big Dance and make an early exit.

I'm hoping OU finishes stronger than what I've described, but my gut tells me OU will struggle coming down the home stretch.

I don’t follow (watch) basketball so this is a question rather than an opinion.....in terms of leadership, is having a true freshman as the “leader” of your team really a good thing? Seems to me an upperclassman would be much better regardless how well the freshman plays the game. OU doesn’t appear to have a leader.

Reactions: iasooner1
A 13-0 Texas run is as much of an offensive lapse as it's a defensive lapse. 17 turnovers and 3/22 shooting 3's is why they lost.

This is correct. The inside game is and has been a thing of the past for years now. Everyone wants to shoot the 3s, even the big guys want to get in on the action these days. To many 3s are being attempted by all teams today and taking shots from almost the half court line isnt very smart.

I wonder what the 3 attempts today would compare to attempts 5 to 10 years ago.

Soonermade, I don't dispute our shooting ultimately lost the game but our defense, the majority of the time, is atrocious. Much like Billy ball...

I always told the kids I coached, if the other team only scores 2 points, all you have to have is 3...Great defense can always make up for bad shooting nights

It’s becoming a frequent happening.....losing, not how we lose. The Sooners are definitely not one dimensional.

The other players around Trae are clueless,I watch them when they have the ball and they do not know what to do.Do I dribble do I shoot do I pass?It is unwatchable.I still can't believe Lon doesn't do a better job than this.The season started with such promise and they have flushed it down the toilet.

Reactions: Oklabama
The other players around Trae are clueless,I watch them when they have the ball and they do not know what to do.Do I dribble do I shoot do I pass?It is unwatchable.I still can't believe Lon doesn't do a better job than this.The season started with such promise and they have flushed it down the toilet.

Last place ISU led OU by 17 points late in the 1st half & OU loses by 9. What is this 6 straight road losses? The team looks disorganized. Kruger needs to solve this.

Its very disappointing after such a promising start in the season.

and just think how bad they would be if there was no Young

You would think so, but maybe not. Without Young the other players just might find it in themselves to play up to their talent. It seems to me they are watching and waiting for Trae to find a way to win. The greatest college basketball player that I’ve ever seen in person was Pete Maravich and only because LSU played in the wonderful (back then) All College Tournament. I think for two years. Bad memory but pretty sure. Regardless I saw him play every game and he was fricking awesome. Trae reminds me of Pete just a little bit. The difference is Pete’s mates actually helped him while only one of Trae’s does. Of course, you have to consider that Pete shot the ball as soon as he crossed the mid court line at least 50% of the time. The guy averaged over 40 points a game. I wish Trae had the help that Pistol Pete had.

Last edited:
You would think so, but maybe not. Without Young the other players just might find it in themselves to play up to their talent. It seems to me they are watching and waiting for Trae to find a way to win. The greatest college basketball player that I’ve ever seen in person was Pete Maravich and only because LSU played in the wonderful (back then) All College Tournament. I think for two years. Bad memory but pretty sure. Regardless I saw him play every game and he was fricking awesome. Trae reminds me of Pete just a little bit. The difference is Pete’s mates actually helped him while only one of Trae’s does. Of course, you have to consider that Pete shot the ball as soon as he crossed the mid court line at least 50% of the time. The guy averaged over 40 points a game. I wish Trae had the help that Pistol Pete had.

I dont know........these are pretty much the same players as last year and they sucked. I think the only time OU had a real shot at a basketball NC was back when I was growing up in the 80's with Billy Ball. I don't know if they can ever get back to that level

Reactions: Oklabama
I think the question right now is this team on the verge of playing itself out of the NCAA tournament. If they dont get their act together and keep losing its very possible.

I've never really understood the importance of just making the tournament. If you make then tourny and get bounced out in the 1st or 2nd then who cares?

I dont know........these are pretty much the same players as last year and they sucked. I think the only time OU had a real shot at a basketball NC was back when I was growing up in the 80's with Billy Ball. I don't know if they can ever get back to that level

Forget 2002-2003?

2002 Jabahri Brown, Ebi Ere, Aaron McGhee, Hollis Price, Quannas White
Lost in Final 4 to Indiana Hoosiers with a bunch of no-names

2003 Jabahri Brown, Ebi Ere, Hollis Price, Quannas White, De'Angelo Alexander, Kevin Bookout
Lost in Final 4 to Champions Syracuse - Carmelo Anthony, Hakim Warrick, Gerry McNamara

Forget 2002-2003?

2002 Jabahri Brown, Ebi Ere, Aaron McGhee, Hollis Price, Quannas White
Lost in Final 4 to Indiana Hoosiers with a bunch of no-names

2003 Jabahri Brown, Ebi Ere, Hollis Price, Quannas White, De'Angelo Alexander, Kevin Bookout
Lost in Final 4 to Champions Syracuse - Carmelo Anthony, Hakim Warrick, Gerry McNamara

No I didn't forget that at all. However, they were not on the level of the 88 team that played for the NC and SHOULD have won it.

You don't think they had a chance against Maryland in 2002 had they beaten Indiana? We were favorites against Indiana. That was just an upset loss. That would have put us in the final against a Maryland team that only boasted Steve Blake. I felt like that was our year.

2003 was a nice run, but Bookout was too young to fully replace Aaron McGhee at PF, and Syracuse was way too talent-loaded.

Yeah, I don't think that 2009 team had that much of a chance. They didn't beat a ranked team until Syracuse in the Sweet 16 after beating Purdue in an early season tournament.
They lost to Kansas (15) and Missouri (15) in the regular season. They did beat Texas when it had an inflated ranking of #11, but then lost to them later when they were no longer ranked. They didn't even win the Big XII tournament.

You don't think they had a chance against Maryland in 2002 had they beaten Indiana? We were favorites against Indiana. That was just an upset loss. That would have put us in the final against a Maryland team that only boasted Steve Blake. I felt like that was our year.

2003 was a nice run, but Bookout was too young to fully replace Aaron McGhee at PF, and Syracuse was way too talent-loaded.
We had already beat that Maryland team earlier in the year in Norman. Maryland came in ranked #2 and OU wasn't even really on the radar yet. It was a Friday night and the LNC was rocking for the 72-56 beat down. One of the best games in Norman I witnessed in person. Would have loved to see a rematch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT