ADVERTISEMENT

This is Baylor Football

Exterminate himself... I believe it was George Carlin that said, "if you ever even have an inkling of that thought, step in and take one for the team."

I agree with J Con on this, I don't know how briles gets past this but.........
I'm thinking his won-loss record will come in to play on this.
When the baylor higher ups look at before and after briles came
he'll dodge this bullet.

Reactions: Oklabama
I agree with J Con on this, I don't know how briles gets past this but.........
I'm thinking his won-loss record will come in to play on this.
When the baylor higher ups look at before and after briles came
he'll dodge this bullet.
This is not a bullet. This is a full-clip automatic.
He needs to be dismissed.
I wouldn't be surprised if one (or more) of the victims files suit against BU and against Briles personally.

Baylor is referred to as a nationally ranked "Christian" University.
Not sure the athletic department there knows (or cares) about this

Baylor is referred to as a nationally ranked "Christian" University.
Not sure the athletic department there knows (or cares) about this

I went to a Baylor game in Waco. They played "Hell's Bells" by AC-DC when their defense had us backed up. I mentioned it to a Baylor fan near me and he looked like he wanted to knock my block off. He said, "What do you expect at a football game? Amy Grant?" I laughed.

In light of God's mercy, grace and pardon, I worry more about more Christians who are puffed up with spiritual pride to where they feel they don't need God's mercy, grace and pardon. Baylor's founders knew exactly what they were doing. Baylor needs to take out the trash and move on.

I do believe when the civil suits are paid out, we will see a shake up at Baylor. It will get ugly as the payouts are going to be huge. Secondly, I think there is a huge misconception regarding Baylor & the Baptists etc. Some need to do their homework on this. In today's world, students and the parents of future students are not selecting Baylor as a choice for their higher education based on 'Chrisitan' values or ties. In Texas, Baylor is recognized as one of the best schools for Medicine.

Mission: The mission of Baylor University is to educate men and women for worldwide leadership and service by integrating academic excellence and Christian commitment within a caring community.

Motto: Pro Ecclesia, Pro Texana (For Church, For Texas)

The Baylor college experience is special. We cultivate a rich campus life that will help you grow intellectually, spiritually and emotionally. And whether you're enjoying Diadeloso (our campus-wide "Day of the Bear" celebration), taking some time to reflect in chapel or just hanging out over coffee, you'll feel a part of the Baylor family from the moment you set foot on Fountain Mall.

Reactions: WhyNotaSooner
Mission & Motto be damned (no pun intended) this is not fully happeing in today's world as it was 100 yrs ago. Although, I'll admit, it is a very conservative in nature and in geographics as related to Texas. It isn't UT like by any means. Killeen's military base changed the dynamic's in the area quite a lot through the years.

Baylor has pretty much disassociated itself from the S Baptist Convention. No longer holding to SBC beliefs

Baylor has been corrupt for 40 years or more.

But when they were the laughingstock in the conference for ten years after the formation of the Big XII, they decided to do something about it. And they have. But in part, it meant setting aside the values that the school was founded on. They lied to donors for years about the way they were teaching in the school.

And they have looked the other way for quite a while on the misdeeds by scholarship athletes and coaches in their new push to win.

How this plays out is going to be very interesting. There is a strange silence from the Baptists who still support Baylor. They like what Briles has accomplished. And money has been flowing toward athletes to help him accomplish those purposes. If they were to boot him, which I don't expect to happen, then the cat might be let out of the bag.

If they do let him go, there will be a sizable golden handshake on the way out the door.

Reactions: hOUston...
Plainosooner, post: 1163106, member: 1732

There is a strange silence from the Baptists who still support Baylor.

Nonsense. An attempt to blaim the Baptists? You're just not reading article comments or surrounding yourself with some mighty upset Baptists. Read the comments in the link provided in the OP.

Welcome back Plaino.

Last edited:
It's been said that Baylor may have to pay out money from lawsuits for
the sexual assault victims. How much that would be I have no idea.
But I was thinking how much money Baylor loses if briles is fired and
they fall back to a losing program. the games are no longer sell outs,
merchandise sales go down and the loss of bowl money. Which would
be the greater loss ? Pay out money maybe one time. the other option
has a longer lasting effect. Just a thought, I am open to any criticism and
I may be totally off base, but I think some of this comes into play. Then
maybe Baylor gets out of paying anybody and briles doesn't get fired.
Apologies if anyone is offended.

Reactions: JConXtsy
Plainosooner, post: 1163106, member: 1732

There is a strange silence from the Baptists who still support Baylor.

Nonsense. An attempt to blaim the Baptists? You're just not reading article comments or surrounding yourself with some mighty upset Baptists. Read the comments in the link provided in the OP.

Welcome back Plaino.

You misheard what I wrote. I'm not blaming the Baptists. Most Texas Southern Baptists are separated from Baylor. That's why the Baptist General Convention of Texas was formed. Many people that donated to Baylor for decades, no longer do. That's what I was saying. Baylor no longer represents the majority of Texas Baptists. They took those people's money for many years, under the pretense of sharing their beliefs. They were lying about it.

But the corruption at Baylor predated the split that came about in the 90s by more than two decades. They do have some very big money people still on board, some out of a sense of tradition, and some because they like the change of theology. I wasn't commenting on the article specifically. But the Baylor of 2016 is not the Baylor that generations of Baptists sacrificially supported. That was my point. The strange silence is because the majority of Southern Baptists felt betrayed by Baylor's leadership. They are not there to be indignant, because they feel divorced.

Baylor is a Christian university but it doesn't mean everyone that goes there is a Christian. Its not a requirement. Whatever the case, its a poor testament when you continually have issues like this in your athletic programs. Briles should do the right thing and step down.

Reactions: BillyRay
Barking I do agree with you 100%. But I think the Baylor top brass find
a way to keep briles as head coach, unless push comes to shove.
There's too many connected to that program that remember the years
before briles. Baylor seems to keep sweeping this problem further back
under the carpet, hoping it goes away. He should step down but at this
point I do not know.

I do think it's pretty much CS for the article to claim coaches calling for answers, when they won't name the quoted coaches. Should the coach be named? Probably not. But if not, then he shouldn't be quoted.

Baylor is the most corrupt program in the conference. And the dirtiest team on the field. That's probably not a coincidence.

Reactions: harolds
It's getting worse for these guys, and Briles still isn't on the chopping block and Baylor fans still aren't crowing for justice.

Barry Switzer was fired for less than this and only 3 years removed from a Nat'l Title and on his way to a possible 4th in 88.
Briles hasn't done squat, yet he's untouchable?

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...-violence-allegations-baylor-football-players
I think one big difference between the Barry Switzer situation at OU and the current Baylor situation, is that OUs fanbase was spoiled to the point they expected to keep winning even after Barry was run out of town. I think Baylor fans are entrenched with Briles since they know damn well their football will sink back to nothinness if Briles is ever run out of town. So they literally know the future relevancy of Baylor football is riding on what happens here.

Reactions: Huntin Hard
If Baylor gets rid of Briles for the right reasons and avoids NCAA penalties, the Bears wouldn't have that difficult of a time replacing Briles with a good coach if the salary is worthy of a good coach. I think the Baylor job would be attractive to a young up and comer. It's at least as good a job as OSU, IMO. I think the Cowboys and Baylor are now very attractive jobs. Nothing like OU or Texas, but probably better than any of the other schools except West Virginia. TCU still hasn't caught up!

In Texas, Baylor is recognized as one of the best schools for Medicine.

Had surgery at Baylor Hospital in Houston not long ago. When I came to and learned it was a success, I said to my doctor, "Jesus must have guided your hands. Hallelujah!!"

The doctor said, "I don't recall any help other than from my team, especially since I didn't touch you during the transmyocardial laser revascularization. But ... whatever."

I don't think the spirit moves within him.

Reactions: JConXtsy
Baylor may be referred to as a "Christian" school, but football seems to be the "religion" of choice in Waco....and Norman....and Austin....and Tuscaloosa....and Tallahassee....and....Baton Rouge.....

Why is everyone stopping at Briles? The priggish Ken Starr never showed any initiative to do jack squat about something whose buck stops with him. He strikes me as the kind of dweeb who can't look at his naked wife with the lights on...much less say the word r-a-p-e. His cowardice is what has allowed what has happened in Waco, to happen. But judge for yourself on his dealings with one of the rape victims, in her words:

http://musingsofstef.blogspot.com/2016/05/dear-baylor-i-no-longer-have-affection.html?m=1

"A year ago Saturday, I sat in the audience and watched as my rapist walked across the stage, shook Ken Starr's hand, and received his diploma. I felt sick, but I still had faith....I then met in person with Ken Starr, not to bicker with him about my case, but to explain how it was indicative of a system-wide failure. He told me he "believe[d] there to have been a mis-adjudication of justice in [my] case," and would look into it and get back to me. He never did. I waited for months. In February, when the Elliott case hit ESPN, I wrote a blog post explaining Baylor Title IX's systematic failure ("I Was Raped At Baylor and This is My Story.")
The next day, Ken Starr emailed me and told me that there was nothing he could do about my case according to "University policy", but that he greatly admired my courage in telling him my story. Well, for him to believe I have courage, it means he believes my story is true. And him telling me he couldn't help me was a lie - Title IX policy specifically states that the President has final say over all cases. So he believed me, and then lied to avoid helping me.....My University is now learning what rape survivors know so well - stay silent, lest you be damned. The only difference is that they deserve it, and we don't."

From the ending of her original rape post:
"When I asked Ken Starr in our meeting if he had seen "The Hunting Ground," a documentary on rape on college campuses (Baylor is featured), and explained that I felt it adequately expressed student victims' struggle, he said 'No, I can't stomach those sorts of things.'"

Ken Starr is the worst culprit in this whole ordeal, but at least in my position, I was trying to keep it football related for the nature of the board.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT