ADVERTISEMENT

Things I'll Be Watching For This Friday vs Temple

Spacemon25

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Sep 19, 2017
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Casually watching the Sooners play ball is great but most of you on this board aren't here because you are casual viewers. You all appreciate the details, the ins and outs of the game we love. I do too. As someone who works with athletes from an individual perspective, I appreciate the value of every player's unique development in an offseason -- improving upon their weaknesses.

One of the things I love assessing, and will be assessing throughout the season is which players took leaps in key areas and who fell behind.

This thread will be less about the scheme and more about a player's individual capabilities and ceiling, however, those may have some crossover at times.

Feel free to comment or add things that you believe will be of note.

Here we go...

Offense:

Jackson Arnold - Will the hesitation be gone with his decision-making? He had some great, and not-so-great, moments against Arizona and some of it was decision-making and decisiveness. How much will his ball velocity and placement improve Oklahoma's quick passing game?

Gavin Sawchuk - Has his lower body improved enough to resist some of the issues that plagued him last season? Has he improved his strength, forward lean, enough to be consistent with gaining positive yardage?

Jovantae Barnes - Can he hit the cuts with explosiveness and extreme angles? His lower body injury a year ago was a massive detriment to him and while I really liked him coming out of high school, the agility was lost due to injury, and hopefully, some of these fall notes will show their way onto the field against Temple.

Jacob Sexton - Does his athleticism translate even better to the Guard spot?

Michael Tarquin - Will he have the punch and foot speed to handle some of the elite edge players Oklahoma will see this season or does he quickly get slotted down and the BB shuffling begins.

Branson Hickman - No notes here but I do predict he becomes a fan favorite.

Andrel Anthony - Did the ACL injury and time spent on upper body strength/footwork help him create some advantages when dealing with press-coverage. Will his speed be improved or at least as good?

Defense:

R Mason Thomas - Did his explosiveness improve enough to mitigate the limitations he faces with his length?

PJ Adebawore - Has he developed the inside moves? Has his core strength/base improved enough for him to handle the size and strength he will face?

Caiden Woullard - No comments here. Just that as I thought after watching his film and seeing him in the spring, he may be the best DE this season for Oklahoma.

Kip Lewis - Has the size helped his ability to check the Guards when they work up to his level? Will he make the Stutsman jump in pass coverage and become a little more physical with the same awareness.

Kani Walker - Hearing he's made big leaps in mentality. If he can be a down in, down out CB, then OU will use him and Gentry until the wheels fall off.

Peyton Bowen - Less a question and more prediction but I believe he will be one of the best Punt Returners that has ever played for Oklahoma.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.