ADVERTISEMENT

There were some weird plays last night. This takes the cake....

K2C Sooner

Sooner starter
Sep 2, 2012
Catoosa OK
I taught this trick to my dog years ago. Sit, lay down, roll over and beg for a time out......HA

baylor.gif

It's hard to know exactly what to take from this. Burt came into the game as a backup after starting safety Chance Waz went out with an injury. Burt going out meant third-string Terrence Singleton had to come into the ball-game. There did not seem to be a real advantage to Burt going out.

That said, Burt received attention and was back into the game after a couple more plays. It has become a popular strategy to slow down fast offenses by having a player lay down and interrupt opposing offense's rhythm.
FROM DALLAS MORNING NEWS
Was Burt really hurt? Only he really knows.

Herbie publicly apologized for the accusation that he was faking.

He missed nine snaps, but was trying to tough it out.

He missed nine snaps He tweaked it on the previous kick off

Reactions: LongTimeSooner
The Bob Stoops Show is on right now on FSSW...
Herbie publicly apologized for the accusation that he was faking.

He missed nine snaps, but was trying to tough it out.

He missed nine snaps He tweaked it on the previous kick off

So trying to tough it out he takes a dive, like he was uppercut by Mike Tyson?

As far as the apology, I hope everyone checked out the comments section. 90% of the commenters saw what I saw, he took a dive to slow the Sooner offense. If you have an ankle injury, you limp off the field and if you can't make it you sit down.

I can go along with the ankle injury, but it was clear that Baylor took "advantage" of what surely was a minor injury (in that he returned later) in order to stop the clock. Smart football strategy or bush league? It may be legal, but I don't think it's good sportsmanship.

Plenty of teams do this these days. With up-tempo offenses get use to seeing these things. It's a matter of time I'm sure before an OU player does it to get a stoppage to get off the field for an injury. Especially if the opponents offense isn't giving the chance to substitute.

Usually, when something like that happens (Texas A&M), it is to stop momentum. That was the first thought I had at the time. Then I took in the situation and realized that we were just beginning a possession and not really trying to push the tempo. At that point, I gave him the benefit of the doubt.
I don't keep track of Baylor's players, but if he was a back-up who would be replaced by a third stringer, he was likely hurt.
Think about OU in his position. If Sanchez is injured and Austin gets hurt, he know that the talent level is likely about to drop off pretty seriously when he goes out.
If someone wants to use this strategy to slow down an offense, I look at it as just that - strategy. Know that it is going to happen and deal with it.
Just like defenses have to deal with an offense going ultra-up-tempo. Deal with it.
No way to know with injuries if a guy really is hurt or not. And sometimes, even a player doesn't really know if he is hurt until he gets a minute to assess.
Better safe than sorry on injuries.

Reactions: BillyRay
Usually, when something like that happens (Texas A&M), it is to stop momentum. That was the first thought I had at the time. Then I took in the situation and realized that we were just beginning a possession and not really trying to push the tempo. At that point, I gave him the benefit of the doubt.
I don't keep track of Baylor's players, but if he was a back-up who would be replaced by a third stringer, he was likely hurt.
Think about OU in his position. If Sanchez is injured and Austin gets hurt, he know that the talent level is likely about to drop off pretty seriously when he goes out.
If someone wants to use this strategy to slow down an offense, I look at it as just that - strategy. Know that it is going to happen and deal with it.
Just like defenses have to deal with an offense going ultra-up-tempo. Deal with it.
No way to know with injuries if a guy really is hurt or not. And sometimes, even a player doesn't really know if he is hurt until he gets a minute to assess.
Better safe than sorry on injuries.
Perfectly said. I do wonder why none of the 4 people rushing to his side where looking at his ankle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT