ADVERTISEMENT

The World Cup - Anyone watching besides me?

Schoonerman

Sooner starter
May 29, 2001
Marietta, GA
I've been watching as many games as possible and am enjoying every minute. There have been some outstanding games, some upsets and some incredible plays The only drawback for me is the flailing, flopping and grimacing in pain when someone gets tripped or tackled hard. Outside of the prima donna moments, the play has been fantastic.

I'm not a huge soccer fan, only know of a small handful of the players and don't have a dog in this fight (U.S. did not qualify for the tournament), but as a sports fan, I think this is one of the better sporting events in the world.

I know many will yawn or could give a rat's ass about soccer, but just for pure sports entertainment (this is the "down season" for college sports), the World Cup is pretty good stuff.

I've been watching as many games as possible and am enjoying every minute. There have been some outstanding games, some upsets and some incredible plays The only drawback for me is the flailing, flopping and grimacing in pain when someone gets tripped or tackled hard. Outside of the prima donna moments, the play has been fantastic.

I'm not a huge soccer fan, only know of a small handful of the players and don't have a dog in this fight (U.S. did not qualify for the tournament), but as a sports fan, I think this is one of the better sporting events in the world.

I know many will yawn or could give a rat's ass about soccer, but just for pure sports entertainment (this is the "down season" for college sports), the World Cup is pretty good stuff.

I just can’t get into soccer, but I have many, many friends that can’t get enough. It might be my age since soccer was not around much when I was growing up and certainly not broadcast on tv like it is now. But I’m not foolish enough to poop poop what’s happening. Soccer may very well become the dominant sport here in America.....if the world last. I can see a time when parents push their boys toward soccer rather than football. Actually it’s already happening. All you have do is listen to what’s going on now with the concerns with head injuries by today’s young parents. Today the whole world is crazy for the sport. Football is an American sport, but may not be so dominant 50 years from now. Take it from me, a lot can change in 50 years and goes by faster than you think. My wife and I know from our own personal experience. :cool:

I'm watching some of it...I love these athletes from under developed countries who sing their national anthem with their whole heart and soul...

Athletes in the USA could learn something...

The coach of the Moroccan team was in tears singing his country's National Anthem. Pretty touching and I have to admit, I got a bit misty-eyed at his expression of devotion and love of country.

The other thing I forgot to mention was the spirit of the fans. They sing, chant, whistle, play drums, etc., and jump up and down for the entire game! They wear their country's colors proudly and seem to be way more emotionally involved in their team than Americans are for their football teams.

After seeing what some of the soccer fans wear and do, I'll never make fun of anyone who paints their face, wears a jersey, etc. to an American sporting event. And, the cameramen at the soccer games always show the goofy guy wearing some crazy, flag-inspired costume and some absolutely knockout girls in the stands.

Just want anyone but the cartels to win. I sure hope no poor schmuck has to "take one for the team"...

By "cartels," I take it you are referring to Latino countries south of the border and in central and south America. You'll be disappointed to know that Mexico, Panama, Argentina, Brazil and Columbia are still in the tournament as of this afternoon. Peru, Uruguay and Costa Rica have been eliminated.

Only 2.5 more months until football season.

Last edited:
Reactions: iasooner1
I haven't researched by how much & which countries are indeed heavily supported by the cartels (or if that continues) but know it has happened before. Shoot; they may have some influence with a lot of American sports too for that matter...

By "cartels," I take it you are referring to Latino countries south of the border and in central and south America. You'll be disappointed to know that Mexico, Panama, Argentina, Brazil and Columbia are still in the tournament as of this afternoon. Peru, Uruguay and Costa Rica have been eliminated.

Only 2.5 more months until football season.
Uruguay is IN and Panama is out of the Knock Out Round of 16. Belgium is the team to beat at this point.

I like the World Cup because of the representing the country aspect but I can't believe all the fake fouls and the way the games are ran.The clock management aspect is absurd and the officiating is done very poorly.They definitely need replay but never want to stop the game for almost any reason.

I like the World Cup because of the representing the country aspect but I can't believe all the fake fouls and the way the games are ran.The clock management aspect is absurd and the officiating is done very poorly.They definitely need replay but never want to stop the game for almost any reason.
Huh, they don't stop the play at any time that's why the have added time. There have been fewer fouls called this year than any previous World Cup to reduce the "taking a dive" to get free kicks especially within close range of the goal. The officiating took a "hand's off" approach this year. They have instant replay and it's been used on many occasions. Croatia did to England what Georgia did to OU. They figured it out at half time and came back to win. Don't be surprised if Croatia beat France.

Huh, they don't stop the play at any time that's why the have added time. There have been fewer fouls called this year than any previous World Cup to reduce the "taking a dive" to get free kicks especially within close range of the goal. The officiating took a "hand's off" approach this year. They have instant replay and it's been used on many occasions. Croatia did to England what Georgia did to OU. They figured it out at half time and came back to win. Don't be surprised if Croatia beat France.

Croatia has definitely made the most noise this year. Due to timing of the games, I haven't been able to watch too many minutes, but regardless, Croatia keeps coming up in the American media again and again.

I was referring to stopping play for fouls or possession which is critical.The stoppage time for injuries is up to the official I guess.The rolling around then the seemingly amazing recovery and the players ability to perform at max level is hard to deal with.

I was referring to stopping play for fouls or possession which is critical.The stoppage time for injuries is up to the official I guess.The rolling around then the seemingly amazing recovery and the players ability to perform at max level is hard to deal with.
I agree with you. There is a reform to rules committee that favors yellow cards for the over acting. Red cards are more inline.

I watched a little and found it nauseating lol. Better than nascar but not as good as tennis.

Different strokes for different folks.

I'm looking forward to both the consolation game between England and Belgium (I think Belgium comes in third) and France beats Croatia for the trophy in a defensive slugfest. Ought to be some good games

I have the opinion that Belgium is (was) the best team in the World Cup this year. They were completely flat against France (a la OU vs Iowa State). I would usually be cheering for France but circumstances has me cheering for Croatia in this match. Gotta love a serious under dog although I think Croatia is playing as well as anyone at this point.

My daughter was in Paris for the semi-final between France and Belgium. Said she's never seen anything like it with regards to the excitement during and after the match.

Reactions: Schoonerman
I have the opinion that Belgium is (was) the best team in the World Cup this year. They were completely flat against France (a la OU vs Iowa State). I would usually be cheering for France but circumstances has me cheering for Croatia in this match. Gotta love a serious under dog although I think Croatia is playing as well as anyone at this point.

Agreed. Belgium WAS the best team in the tournament...most complete team. Not having Muenier was a killer. I also presented the idea that if Martinez had the option to remake his starting 11 I bet Dembele would be out in favor of Mertens on the RW, drop Fellaini back in the middle and keep Chadli on the left. You could see how much of a difference Mertens made when he came on.

Sorry this is super late, lol, but I don't frequent over here as much.

The closest I got to watching the World Cup was standing in front of the stadium back in May. The wife & I celebrated #40 by taking a cruise to the Baltics and we stopped for two days in St. Petersburg. At that time, the city was all a buzz about the upcoming games. I just haven't really taken the time to be interested in Soccer and to be honest I don't know why. Both of my kids played when they were young and I enjoyed it then.

The closest I got to watching the World Cup was standing in front of the stadium back in May. The wife & I celebrated #40 by taking a cruise to the Baltics and we stopped for two days in St. Petersburg. At that time, the city was all a buzz about the upcoming games. I just haven't really taken the time to be interested in Soccer and to be honest I don't know why. Both of my kids played when they were young and I enjoyed it then.

It's not as hard to find interesting games now as it used to be. International soccer is fantastic...World Cup, Euro's, Gold Cup, Copa America, etc.

Club soccer route, the Champions League is on most fox networks. You can find almost every Bundesliga (Germany) and Premier League (England) games on Saturday/Sunday morning before football comes on. Fox and NBC networks have full schedules.

Now Europe is starting an "International League" this fall. We'll see how that goes.

MLS is probably not the way to go yet, if you're looking for "good" soccer. It is getting there, but it would honestly be like watching D3 College Football instead of your Sooners. Or watching Single A ball instead of the big league games on TV. While there are many talented players, it just isn't enough.

I know OkC Energy and Tulsa have 4-5k fans a game so it is growing up there. A lot of MLS clubs use Tulsa to loan out their players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT