ADVERTISEMENT

THE USA TODAY COLLEGE SOFTBALL COACHES POLL HAS MINNESOTA RANKED#1

bullmarket

Sooner signee
May 29, 2001
LINK.....
http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/softball/d1/usa-todaynfca-coaches

This is a slap in the face to the Softball Committee which had the 54-3 Minnesota team ranked below #16 as the top 16 seeds host a regional.
Every bit of data that the committee had including the RPI rankings showed Minnesota
easily qualified to be a regional host.
Hey I was afraid that this committee would do the same thing to OU because of how they treated OU during the season.
When OU beat #10 Baylor two out of three Baylor moved up in their rankings and OU remained ranked three places behind them

The NCAA needs to investigate this committee

Last edited:
I am reminded of the BCS outrage. Many were against the BCS because it made a different order than the human polls.

Reactions: iasooner1
I am reminded of the BCS outrage. Many were against the BCS because it made a different order than the human polls.

But the BCS and the human polls were close to similar

The committee did not have Minnesota in their top 16 teams while the respected USA TODAY Coaches Poll has Minnesota as the nation;s number one team...Yes #1 in the nation!!!

A huge difference!

Minnesota had the nations best Won-Loss record, 54 wins and only 3 losses

The committee is a fraud

Polls, rankings? They don't mean anything. Donald Trump proved that. EXCEPT when it comes to selecting the brackets. Then, it is what it is. Now it's all about winning. OU has the same shot as the rest. I like it!

bullmarket, yes I agree the BCS and human polls were not like what you are describing here. They still had a difference that people change the formula for the BCS each year. It ruined to BCS in my opining. Yes the situation with Minnesota is very weird.

I think the poll is sending a message to the NCAA committee. This is unpopular in more places than just a message board. If anything, the Minnesota debacle has become a lead blocker for those, like OU, who are sick of the way the rpi has manipulated this formula.

It would NOT surprise me if both OU and Minnesota made the series. I think I would favor Minnesota in that regional and Super-Regional. They are better than the SEC thinks.

I wonder if this isn't somehow due to the relationship between the SEC and ESPN.

This just proves that even committes have problems getting past their own bias. Didnt 8 SEC teams get regionals so this committee is trying to tell everyone that 8 of the best 16 teams come from that conference? Then top that off all 13 SEC teams make the tournament and one of those teams is 29-26 on the season.

There are other deserving teams that got pushed out for those teams. I guess in the end conference affiliations mean more to committees than a teams overall season.

If its been said once here its been said a thousand times over that humans are incapable of leaving out their biases. Minnesota goes 54-3 and doesnt get its due based on an opinion of a select few is a travesty and if OU doesnt get back to the series I hope the Gophers win it all just to shove it up the committees ass. I guess they had to out someone though to give another SEC team a regional.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT