ADVERTISEMENT

The two new coaches...

WhyNotaSooner

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Nov 1, 2004
I just watched the two new coaches answer questions from the OKC press. It's my opinion that we won't have to worry about recruiting going forward. We might lose a few recruits, but will make up for it with others. Lincoln really nailed it w/ these two hires. Both are major upgrades to the program. Murray & Cain are going to kill it in recruiting and developing the players. From what I see, each year, Lincoln Riley has made major changes the programs from firing MS, to hiring Grinch. Seriously, it's hard to believe that it was just 13 months ago that Grinch was brought on board. And now with these two additions, OU is in so much better shape than just 15 months ago.

Murray has all the ingredients to become a great coach and he has Gundy to help him get started.
I can't help but wonder if Murray had been on the staff a few months ago if Jace McClellan would have signed with OU.....but with Seth McGowan coming in with comparisons to Samaje Perine, I think OU did well.

Murray has the name recognition for sure but man that Cain guy.... wowza. Pretty impressive guy. That Q&A session was really really good. He could very well be the Superstar in recruiting going forward.

CT, perhaps it was the loss of Jase that got Lincoln in gear to make things happen. Much like the UT loss got him moving to replace MS.

The big thing to keep in mind about Murray is that he's a brainiac, smart guy with a high football IQ and legit pro experience. Those types usually do well at coaching.

He was a 4 time Academic All Big 12 honoree and graduated with a degree in communications and a double minor in business and African American studies.

DeMarco is in my top 10 favorite Sooners of all time. I have zero doubts he can start bringing in a solid recruiting connection. I am very excited to see him as a Coach as well. He has some great talent in that RB room.

I know that this is a recruiting site, but there is more to the task than just being projected as a great recruiter. Both likely have promising futures, but it's way to early to predict that, IMO. Great players are seldom great coaches. Guys who were a step or more, below great are more often the most quality coaches, because they had to look for little ways to compete. And Demarco has less than two years experience as a coach.

He'll add youth and credibility to the staff. I hope it's a hit, but neither have proven any greatness as coaches. It will be nice if they open up some more avenues into recruiting on the west coast, plus Arizona and Nevada. We'll see.

I know that this is a recruiting site, but there is more to the task than just being projected as a great recruiter. Both likely have promising futures, but it's way to early to predict that, IMO. Great players are seldom great coaches. Guys who were a step or more, below great are more often the most quality coaches, because they had to look for little ways to compete. And Demarco has less than two years experience as a coach.

He'll add youth and credibility to the staff. I hope it's a hit, but neither have proven any greatness as coaches. It will be nice if they open up some more avenues into recruiting on the west coast, plus Arizona and Nevada. We'll see.
Obviously, Murray has work to do outside the realm of recruiting and as stated above, he will have Gundy to help him along both in recruiting and developing/coaching players. If Murray is looking to remain in football as a coach, he will need to learn fast and I see him with the intellect to succeed in this endeavor.

Meh.... Cain I believe was recruiter of year for the PAC12. He’s a huge upgrade already by just showing up.

He doesn't have Plaino's stamp of approval though. That trumps some meaningless top ranked recruiter in the PAC 12 nonsense.
In the scheme of things, I'd rather have a great coach who was a good recruiter, over a great recruiter who was a good coach. Nobody needs my "stamp of approval." But the guys advocating on this site for both these guys, in the past have complained when assistants were brought in with a shortage of real coaching experience, claiming that you have to prove yourself before getting an OU coaching job. Upgrades in recruiting from guys who have no ties to hs coaches in the part of the country, isn't typically an upgrade.

Promising? Absolutely. But greatness isn't close to being proven just yet.

In the scheme of things, I'd rather have a great coach who was a good recruiter, over a great recruiter who was a good coach. Nobody needs my "stamp of approval." But the guys advocating on this site for both these guys, in the past have complained when assistants were brought in with a shortage of real coaching experience, claiming that you have to prove yourself before getting an OU coaching job. Upgrades in recruiting from guys who have no ties to hs coaches in the part of the country, isn't typically an upgrade.

Promising? Absolutely. But greatness isn't close to being proven just yet.
SarcasticSpectacularArchaeocete-max-1mb.gif

Not to diminish Murray's job, but there isn't all that much to RB coaching.
NFL Offensive Player of the Year and First Team All-Pro. How could he not be able to coach a RB?
Recruiting is definitely the major importance here. You're thinking too hard, Plaino.

Not to diminish Murray's job, but there isn't all that much to RB coaching.
NFL Offensive Player of the Year and First Team All-Pro. How could he not be able to coach a RB?
Recruiting is definitely the major importance here. You're thinking too hard, Plaino.
Whoa. Wait an effin minute. Are saying that Murray was a successful NFL running back?

I just watched the two new coaches answer questions from the OKC press. It's my opinion that we won't have to worry about recruiting going forward. We might lose a few recruits, but will make up for it with others. Lincoln really nailed it w/ these two hires. Both are major upgrades to the program. Murray & Cain are going to kill it in recruiting and developing the players. From what I see, each year, Lincoln Riley has made major changes the programs from firing MS, to hiring Grinch. Seriously, it's hard to believe that it was just 13 months ago that Grinch was brought on board. And now with these two additions, OU is in so much better shape than just 15 months ago.

absolutely agree with you! These two hires are absolute home runs. Murray has OU credibility, NFL credibility as well as being young and charismatic. The defense was already light years better without recruits to play in a certain system, but so much improved despite one or two bad games.

I’m looking forward to seeing what they bring to the table.

Plaino, man... sometimes I don’t get ya. You’ve always been a Mike Stoops apologist but we saw what a single year of Grinch did to change attitude and intensity. I’m not sure why you have those thoughts and loyalties, but there is a long list of successful NFL players that have been good to great coaches. I won’t pretend to know what DeMarco will be, but that dude is a heady player and more football savvy and intelligent than most.

Reactions: BillyRay
Plaino, man... sometimes I don’t get ya. You’ve always been a Mike Stoops apologist but we saw what a single year of Grinch did to change attitude and intensity. I’m not sure why you have those thoughts and loyalties, but there is a long list of successful NFL players that have been good to great coaches. I won’t pretend to know what DeMarco will be, but that dude is a heady player and more football savvy and intelligent than most.
DeMarco has brains for days. I've had multiple conversations with him over the years. He's one of the soft spoken types that doesn't have to try to convince you he's the man because his actions have already spoken for him. I'm thrilled to see him back at OU in a coaching role.

Another brainiac from the same cloth was Quentin Griffin who is also coaching today.

DeMarco has brains for days. I've had multiple conversations with him over the years. He's one of the soft spoken types that doesn't have to try to convince you he's the man because his actions have already spoken for him. I'm thrilled to see him back at OU in a coaching role.

Another brainiac from the same cloth was Quentin Griffin who is also coaching today.

love hearin that from ya. I know you’ve had dealings and relationships with these guys for a long time! I’ve only met most of them in passing or at charity events, but he’s always been awesome, respectful and so nice and well spoken to everyone I’ve personally seen him deal with.

ADVERTISEMENT