ADVERTISEMENT

The TCU Guy That Targeted Mayfield-Egregious,Reprehensible, Dirty

Sep 13, 2006
Mayfield was actually on the ground virtually horizontal when this slime player hit him helmet to helmet. It was the most intentional , deliberate injury that one has ever seen in college football. This is TCU Coach Patterson's MO- he looks the other way at this dirty play, at all costs win- rules do not matter. This is a dirty filthy franchise at TCU. Almost equally as dirty as Briles Baylor.

Dude...players, even OU players, every single game you see countless plays where they give hits to players as they are going to the ground. This hit he made the mistake of leading with his helmet and hit Baker in the back of the helmet. If you are going to criticize, then sure the hit itself looked pretty dirty. But don't try to make it out like Baker was "actually on the ground" when he hit him. Hits like that are doled out every single game by both sides.

Last edited:
Matt Dimon's ejection was for something more intentional than just making a play. Based on your criteria, do you think the Sooners have a thug too? Wow, some of you guys react as if this is the first year you've followed any kind of football.
Just a little joke.............go back to bed.

Joke or not, there are a lot of sensitive flowers on this board that are overly emotional and cavalier in calling football players 'thugs' and 'dirty players'.

Dude...players, even OU players, every single game you see countless plays where they give hits to players as they are going to the ground. This hit he made the mistake of leading with his helmet and hit Baker in the back of the helmet. If you are going to criticize, then sure the hit itself looked pretty dirty. But don't try to make it out like Baker was "actually on the ground" when he hit him. Hits like that are doled out every single game by both sides.

No....

Watch the play... That jerk viciously, and intentionally, speared Mayfield in the head. He should be suspended from all football activities for one year.

If they decided the hit hit was "inadvertent", the officials had the option to leave him in the game, correct? Did they?

It was a dirty play and he was sent packing. That's the rule, and it was followed. What more is necessary? This stuff has been going on since players started wearing helmets. The only thing different is that players are now ejected "when" refs throw the flag.

Reactions: ESPiam
It was a dirty play and he was sent packing. That's the rule, and it was followed. What more is necessary? This stuff has been going on since players started wearing helmets. The only thing different is that players are now ejected "when" refs throw the flag.

You and Billy are right that its a violent game, and that there's a lot of unnecessary hitting going on during almost every play.

But in my humble opinion, the TCU linebacker took it to next level with his dirty shot. It bordered on being criminal.

Again, its just my opinion, but to me it's like hockey. There are hits, and then every once in in a while, there's just the outright clubbing with a stick of one player by another. The first category is "part of the game", the second category offends human decency.

To me, the hit by TCU player falls in the second category.

Last edited:
CW you actually think the hit was close to being criminal??? 5 years ago, hits like that were legal and normal. But now a targeting hit is close to being criminal?? I have no doubt the hit itself was dirty, and as such the kid was ejected. But I have zero problem with the timing of the hit. Hits timed like that are commonplace in games. In fact, had that hit NOT been helmet to helmet it likely would have been just another play.

The only trouble is he used his helmet. He intentionally used his helmet. I'm not saying he was trying to hurt him. I'm saying he intentionally used his helmet. He could have planted Baker with his shoulder.

Reactions: BillyRay
When he dipped his helmet led me to believe it could, note could be intentional. But what do you do.

CW you actually think the hit was close to being criminal??? 5 years ago, hits like that were legal and normal. But now a targeting hit is close to being criminal?? I have no doubt the hit itself was dirty, and as such the kid was ejected. But I have zero problem with the timing of the hit. Hits timed like that are commonplace in games. In fact, had that hit NOT been helmet to helmet it likely would have been just another play.

I don't want to belabor the point, and we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Reactions: BillyRay
TCU tackles low, they did the whole game. Notice that Perine and Mixon got leg/ankle injuries. This is a technique, used by underskilled defenses to make sure they tackle people. It isn't even dirty, because there are ways to take advantage of this as ball carriers.

Even so, Mayfield is so squirrley and elusive, he is hard enough to tackle. The TCU LB dropped his head and he shouldn't have to make the hit. He was aiming low, at the ankles, undoubtedly like he was coached.

Mayfield is quicker, dropped low himself, and got hit in the earhole. The flag was good. The ejection was good. But the TCU backer was not trying to maliciously injure our QB. He was trying to play football.

However, some of you estrogen soaked soap-opera watchers want to believe the TCU LB is evil. LOL!

Reactions: ESPiam and BillyRay
You and Billy are right that its a violent game, and that there's a lot of unnecessary hitting going on during almost every play.

But in my humble opinion, the TCU linebacker took it to next level with his dirty shot. It boarded on being criminal.

Again, its just my opinion, but to me it's like hockey. There are hits, and then every once in in a while, there's just the outright clubbing with a stick of one player by another. The first category is "part of the game", the second category offends human decency.

To me, the hit by TCU player falls in the second category.

You lost me at criminal. It was a dirty play. He was flagged and ejected. It's over except for the upcoming reports on Baker.

Reactions: ESPiam
I have watched the play several times. I didn't think the hit was intentional.

Seriously, Plano? You're better than this.

Baker was clearly out of the play--close to the ground--and the guy comes in head first, obviously aiming at the head. It was an intent to injure OU's key player or at least get him out of the game. Simple as that ... and it worked.

Bottom line is, the play took Mayfield out of action and darned near cost us the game, and may cost us the OSU game if he's not available. However, I don't see that happening.

Plaino Sooner:
You are usually astute on OU football. On this one you are either drunk, emotionally disturbed, leaving your wife/new woman/ getting a divorce/scorned/cheated on. ETC.

Plaino Sooner:
You are usually astute on OU football. On this one you are either drunk, emotionally disturbed, leaving your wife/new woman/ getting a divorce/scorned/cheated on. ETC.

You joined in 2006 and have made a total of 3 posts?

You simply must post more often...

Give him a break. Not everyone can be as active on the board as I am.
;)

I thought I had about 17 posts. Wrong board.

Back to the topic at hand, I think he was just trying to hit the QB hard like every defensive player does on every play. There is no way to really know though.

It wasn't intentional. It's pretty clear to me that he's trying to get his head low enough to hit Baker in the body and avoid his head. He misjudged the amount of time he had. At the point where he leaves his feet (or decides to), Baker was making that spin, and it probably wasn't clear if he was going down or was going to regain his balance.

It wasn't intentional. It's pretty clear to me that he's trying to get his head low enough to hit Baker in the body and avoid his head. He misjudged the amount of time he had. At the point where he leaves his feet (or decides to), Baker was making that spin, and it probably wasn't clear if he was going down or was going to regain his balance.

There must be some embedded or hidden video that you are seeing because in the one that I see, it is painfully obvious that mayfield is almost horizontal with no chance of coming back up and #42 lowers his forehead ion a spearing motion. Not sure how the top of the helmet makes it easier to tackle someone.

Reactions: Crimson_Warrior
I can't say that he was trying to injure him or put him out of the game. But, it was rather obvious that he was trying to send a message with the hit. He didn't just tackle him or put the shoulder pads into him. He lowered his helmet in an attempt to hit him with the helmet.

This is exactly what the targeting rule was intended to prevent. I have seen numerous incidents of accidental hits with the helmet. This was deliberate. Even the accidental hits often draw a targeting penalty and ejection. This was way beyond accidental. When deliberate, the league office should impose at least a one game suspension. Just letting this go with an ejection is not the solution that the penalty was intended to have.

Reactions: Crimson_Warrior
I thought it was deliberate but thats just me..maybe was maybe wasnt. Penalty called played ejected..end of story as far as Im concerned. No need for all the hateful talk against each other for a mere expression of opinion. Be Happy, Sooners are kicking butt this year...life is good! It could be worse...you could have been raised, live in Texas and wearing burnt orange every weekend

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT