ADVERTISEMENT

The Jeff Lebby situation

Carey Murdock

Sooner starter
Staff
Dec 6, 2001
Norman, OK
www.soonerscoop.com
Here are the quotes from Stoops when I asked him about it at today's press conference.

"I didn’t find that out until after the game but that seems to be, that’s a pretty fundamental rule. That’s not allowed. I don’t know what he was doing here," said Stoops.

I then asked him if that brings up bigger concerns about what is happening with Baylor.

"Well, it’s something that needs to be reported and needs to be dealt with through the Big 12 office and our people so I’m sure they will," he said. "I’ve got a team to coach but they’ll handle those matter I’m sure and the NCAA will."

Art Briles then held his weekly press conference and he was asked about his son-in-law being on the sideline in Norman.

"I was not aware, sadly so. If I had been aware, that situation would've never happened. When I found out, we alerted all the proper officials on both sides and I actually called coach Stoops after the game Saturday and told him that I was sorry that we had a guy on their sideline.

"And it's embarrassing to me, quite honestly. To me, there's not an advantage first and foremost in today's world. I mean, we had every film they ever got and they get every film we've ever got. So as far as scouting advantage, you're at a disadvantage standing on the sideline. I don't think he was there that long - maybe a quarter. I'm not even sure.

"It's unfortunate. I hate it. I hate it for the perception standpoint. But anybody who knows football knows, it's like, if they want to have somebody come stand on our sideline, that's all right. Because there is no advantage in doing it. It's something I was not aware of."

* I talked to some people earlier this morning about it. J.D.Runnels actually brought it up on our postgame show Saturday and I thought it was strange but it didn't immediately hit me until later, that it was an NCAA violation.

* I know OU is very upset about it. The coaches are very upset about it. They have started the process of alerting the NCAA.

* For someone like Stoops that guards his practices so closely and believes people can get advantages from the smallest of details, it's something he's really bothered by.

* I asked an OU official today whether Tulsa had to clear their sideline passes through them and they said Tulsa provides them a list, but if you have a regent listed with a plus-one, they can't track every pass that is out there.

* I know Tulsa is being asked for answers on how this happened as well.

* I talked to J.D. Runnels about it several more times today. He didn't seem to get the impression that Lebby knew what he was doing was wrong. J.D. stays in touch with Jeff quite a bit.

* I don't think any of that matters to the OU staff though. There is a growing concern by some at OU that Baylor seems to do things that aren't always by the book when it comes to these things. So I don't think this is something Stoops is just going to let go.

That doesn't mean he would press for harsh penalties, but you know he wants to see some punishment handed down. And I have spoken to a lot of people today that think Baylor needs to get things in order over there in regards to their NCAA compliance. The perception of Baylor by people at OU is pretty negative right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.