ADVERTISEMENT

The door is open but ESPN says

Soonerborn59

Sooner starter
Aug 16, 2009
TOSU now has a 44% chance to make the playoffs ( 54% by winning the BCCG) while

OU is now just at 37%.

Bottom line is if ESPN has its way OU will not get in over TOSU. Guess they forgot about the epic Purdue beatdown. Just something to talk about over this next week because if OU loses it won’t matter anyway.

Dont be surprised if Tuesdays rankings has TOSU at 5 with OU remaining at 6. I know it isnt going to surprise me.

Reactions: Senior Sooner
If Ohio State gets in, we can watch the Urban Meyer Headache Update all game long.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soonerborn59
At the end of the day, Ohio State will simply take the spot Michigan was expected to have had. Bama, Clemson, Domers and Ohio State. This is assuming Bama and Ohio State win next week. If Georgia beats Bama, the Bulldogs will slide into the the Buckeyes’ slot because Bama will be in regardless unless Georgia just kicks the crap out of them. Four teams just aren’t enough when there are this many one loss teams. Someone is always going to get shafted and in some years multiple teams.

Four teams just aren’t enough when there are this many one loss teams. Someone is always going to get shafted and in some years multiple teams.
This is the truth right here. And even more so, 4 teams aren't enough when you have 5 power conferences either. I've thought that since the 4-team playoff was even announced. It makes no sense.

This is the truth right here. And even more so, 4 teams aren't enough when you have 5 power conferences either. I've thought that since the 4-team playoff was even announced. It makes no sense.

Exactly. What if the PAC had a 1 loss champ this year?

Reactions: BillyRay
The system is flawed from the git-go 4 spots for 5 Conf. Champions is a joke.I think the NCAA likes a system where there is controversy because in their twisted world it means that people are interested.And what happened to the all important 13 data point?

The system is flawed from the git-go 4 spots for 5 Conf. Champions is a joke.I think the NCAA likes a system where there is controversy because in their twisted world it means that people are interested.And what happened to the all important 13 data point?
People think it's a flawed system because the playoff teams are decided by the opinions of humans. And we all know about opinions right? Doesn't mean it should get into the realm of thinking it's a vast conspiracy theory about the NCAA imposing their twisted world on college football cuz they just want drama. There are just a good number of teams who end the season with legitimate arguments as to why they should be included in the playoff.

People think it's a flawed system because the playoff teams are decided by the opinions of humans. And we all know about opinions right? Doesn't mean it should get into the realm of thinking it's a vast conspiracy theory about the NCAA imposing their twisted world on college football cuz they just want drama. There are just a good number of teams who end the season with legitimate arguments as to why they should be included in the playoff.

That’s right. I hate Ohio state but I can see why their fans would feel they should be in.....they just beat #3. The Buckeyes looked really good yesterday. But....Michigan scored almost 40 on them. :D:D

That’s right. I hate Ohio state but I can see why their fans would feel they should be in.....they just beat #3. The Buckeyes looked really good yesterday. But....Michigan scored almost 40 on them. :D:D
You sum it up perfectly. For every positive point a team can make about itself, there are also negatives you can point to. Just like OU, sure their offense is the best in the country, but they also gave up 40 points to Kansas. So I'm sure the committee has to weigh the comparisons of Ohio State giving up 40 to Michigan, and OU giving up 40 to Kansas. Which is worse in their eyes? ;);)

I like the four team format.
I like making the regular season mean as much as possible, even with the controversy.
And if teams are tired of Alabama's dominance....then copy them and beat them. Bama is the proven template for success, with or without ESPN being under Saban's desk.

If OU beats Texas, there is no way they put OSU in over OU for the simple fact that OSU got humiliated by a bad Purdue team while OU would be redeeming its only loss.

Team comparisons:

OSU

UGLY WINS:

NEB 36-31
MD 52-51 (game BEFORE Michigan)

LOSS:

PUR 49-20

OU

UGLY WINS:

ARMY 28-21 (OU Offense only had ball 15 minutes)
TT 51-46
OKST 48-47 (RIVAL GAME)

LOSS:

TEX 48-45 (RIVAL GAME)

And if teams are tired of Alabama's dominance....then copy them and beat them. Bama is the proven template for success, with or without ESPN being under Saban's desk.

I hear you, but as long as Bama continues to get just about whoever they want it’s going to be really difficult to use their template. Recruiting is the the primary basis of their template. The best want to play for a national championship and there’s no place kids can find to give them a shot than Alabama right now. Clemson is getting closer. Like it or not, OU is a long ways away from getting a “group” of elite players year in and year out. Alabama does. Saban can also hire the best coaches and pay them above average salaries to come coach for a few years. Nick doesn’t hire too many expecting them to stay at Alabama. He’s good at evaluating talent, players and coaches. He doesn’t fall in love with any of them. Either they perform or they sit/go. I’ll used last year’s QB and Kiffin as examples. He’s not a nice guy. He’s a winner. Sometimes that is what counts, but not always, e.g., Bud. More Nicks are successful than Buds. Woody Hayes, the Bear, are examples. Ara and Holtz were pricks as well.

Reactions: Soonerborn59

I hear you, but as long as Bama continues to get just about whoever they want it’s going to be really difficult to use their template. Recruiting is the the primary basis of their template. The best want to play for a national championship and there’s no place kids can find to give them a shot than Alabama right now. Clemson is getting closer. Like it or not, OU is a long ways away from getting a “group” of elite players year in and year out. Alabama does. Saban can also hire the best coaches and pay them above average salaries to come coach for a few years. Nick doesn’t hire too many expecting them to stay at Alabama. He’s good at evaluating talent, players and coaches. He doesn’t fall in love with any of them. Either they perform or they sit/go. I’ll used last year’s QB and Kiffin as examples. He’s not a nice guy. He’s a winner. Sometimes that is what counts, but not always, e.g., Bud. More Nicks are successful than Buds. Woody Hayes, the Bear, are examples. Ara and Holtz were pricks as well.
Agree, but in Oklahoma's case, there's already a great legacy in place and winning big games, especially in the post season could at least narrow the gap between OU and Alabama. By winning "big" games in the post season, I refer to Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, USC, Ohio State, etc.....not Iowa, UConn, and an 8-5 Auburn or Stanford team or a 7-5 Arkansas team.
Riley reloads on offense....it's defense that needs to be equally prioritized with top notch coaches and players. And SOON.

Agree, but in Oklahoma's case, there's already a great legacy in place and winning big games, especially in the post season could at least narrow the gap between OU and Alabama. By winning "big" games in the post season, I refer to Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, USC, Ohio State, etc.....not Iowa, UConn, and an 8-5 Auburn or Stanford team or a 7-5 Arkansas team.
Riley reloads on offense....it's defense that needs to be equally prioritized with top notch coaches and players. And SOON.

Hopefully we can improve the process this off season. Being in another conference would make it easier if we were serious. IMO

Reactions: CTOkie
If we don't get in then we have nobody to blame but ourselves.

I agree with you but my post was more about the bullshit system in place. For those that like 4 and the subjective system more power to you but its not a true playoff system when you allow a group of people to decide who gets in and who doesnt

Like BR said its a bad setup when you have 5 P5 conferences plus the exception granted to ND when they have a season like this year. Yes they earned it but when you have choices for that last spot to come down to 2 teams like OU and THE and try to use the argument bad D for one and not the other then that is ignoring the whole argument.

Riley should have fired Stoops last year we all know that and when he looks in the mirror I am sure he is probably kicking himself in the ass for not doing what needed to be done. This D is a downfall but the system has been broken for a lifetime in naming NC in FBS ( Div I ) however you want to look at it. It needs fixed period that allows all teams a door ( opportunity based on merit) to get in not one based on opinion.

Last edited:
I agree with you but my post was more about the bullshit system in place. For those that like 4 and the subjective system more power to you but its not a true playoff system when you allow a group of people to decide who gets in and who doesnt

Like BR said its a bad setup when you have 5 P5 conferences plus the exception granted to ND when they have a season like this year. Yes they earned it but when you have choices for that last spot to come down to 2 teams like OU and THE and try to use the argument bad D for one and not the other then that is ignoring the whole argument.

Riley should have fired Stoops last year we all know that and when he looks in the mirror I am sure he is probably kicking himself in the ass for not doing what needed to be done. This D is a downfall but the system has been broken for a lifetime in naming NC in FBS ( Div I ) however you want to look at it. It needs fixed period that allows all teams a door ( opportunity based on merit) to get in not one based on opinion.
Good post. I will add that while firing Mike in 2017 would have been better, replacing him with a top notch defensive coach should have been done then as well.
I do not believe fixing OU's defense will be an overnight fix. I think it will be a 2-3 year task that: 1) acclimates the coach with the talent already available, 2) reloading with talented AND COACHABLE players who play tough and smart and 3) having a coach who can sell OU's new commitment to defensive excellence to prospects.

I want to add to my post without an edit. Maybe not cool but I want to make a point. OU once had what Alabama has today. It didn’t just happen. It started when Jim Mackenzie was named OU head coach. If you ask any Sooner player that was already on campus before Mac, they will tell you how the culture immediately changed and what Mac put them through. It wasn’t the as brutal as what Bear Bryant did with his first Texas A&M team but it was really tough. Mac set the tone. Switzer continued. What resulted was wins, championships and that got Barry the pick of the best Wishbone talent in the country for many years. Barry also recruited some of the best defensive players for his excellent coaches to develop. Great players on both sides of the ball coached well. Barry just wasn’t tough enough to maintain Mac’s “template” after a while.

I will always wonder what Mackenzie's legacy would have been had he lived a long life. He died at 37 so he likely would have had a long OU career which may have had Switzer leaving eventually...perhaps back to Arkansas after the 1976 season when Broyles retired.

I will always wonder what Mackenzie's legacy would have been had he lived a long life. He died at 37 so he likely would have had a long OU career which may have had Switzer leaving eventually...perhaps back to Arkansas after the 1976 season when Broyles retired.

Knowing how well Barry did this may sound dumb, but I’d have liked to have found out. That was a tragic event as is any death of a young person.

If we had played more consistently good, on D, we would be in great shape. But we have this cloud hanging over us. That cloud will keep us on outside hate to say. Clearly the #1 offense but the defense continues to be the battleship anchor. On a side note...the vaunted Clemson defense gave up over 500 yards passing to South Carolina. Who do not compare to WV. That will be ignored by media...and the Domers giving up lots of yards to the Blowjans.

If we had played more consistently good, on D, we would be in great shape. But we have this cloud hanging over us. That cloud will keep us on outside hate to say. Clearly the #1 offense but the defense continues to be the battleship anchor. On a side note...the vaunted Clemson defense gave up over 500 yards passing to South Carolina. Who do not compare to WV. That will be ignored by media...and the Domers giving up lots of yards to the Blowjans.

When we give up 500 we don’t hold them to 35. I’d take that right now.

We can always hope everything blows up in the committees face this weekend. Pitt upsets Clemson, UGA beats Bama and watch them squim explaining why they still both get in the playoffs and leave both OU and TOSU out.

Thats a scenario that just might set off both the B10 and B12. The B10 would raise enough hell for both of our conferences.

One can dream cant they?

As I understand it, the committee has openly stated that conference championships will have preference. So unless they change their rules mid stream, a Bama loss ends their playoff run.

#Sooners vs #Buckeyes

FPI
OU 5th
OSU 7th

Strength of Record
OU 5th
OSU 8th

Strength of Schedule
OU 31st
OSU 57th

Top 25 wins
OU 3
OSU 2

Loss
OU 14Tex (9-3) by 3
OSU Purdue (6-6) by 29

Common Opp. (TCU)
OU 52-27
OSU 40-28

Yds FOR / AGAINST vs TCU
OU 536 / 275
OSU 526 / 511

As I understand it, the committee has openly stated that conference championships will have preference. So unless they change their rules mid stream, a Bama loss ends their playoff run.

It should but they let Bama in last year. If they lose to Georgia I think they get in more than likely. I can see it being Clemson, Notre Dame, Georgia and Bama. Not the way it should be but it would not surprise me. Both OU and ohio state get the shaft. Its a shame that teams have to have "style" points to get in, its a shame and a sham that winning 11 games and your Conference Title Game is not enough to get in.
And you can bet the farm that if the SEC was playing offense and defense like the Big 12 no team from espin's baby would be left out or ridiculed for it.

ESPN has OU #5, Ohio State #6. So does AP. So if Bama beats Georgia and we take care of business, we should be in, right? Not so fast.....We haven’t heard from the Committee yet. That will be interesting.

Win and we are in. We will be the only 1 loss team to beat the team we lost to.
Ohio state lost by 29 points to a below average Purdue team and luckily beat a poor Maryland team two week ago 52-51.

We are now #5 in both polls today with Ohio State #6.

Isn't Joe C on the Football Committee? He will talk common sense with them.

Our only road block is if Georgia beats Alabama. If this happened both would be in final four eliminating us.

Ohio state lost by 29 points to a below average Purdue team and luckily beat a poor Maryland team two week ago 52-51.

Our only road block is if Georgia beats Alabama. If this happened both would be in final four eliminating us.

You make perfect sense, Bull. But that damn Committee....I’m not that sure. Hopefully Joe is a plus. There’s nothing more I’d like to see is another Okla-Bama game. :D

You sum it up perfectly. For every positive point a team can make about itself, there are also negatives you can point to. Just like OU, sure their offense is the best in the country, but they also gave up 40 points to Kansas. So I'm sure the committee has to weigh the comparisons of Ohio State giving up 40 to Michigan, and OU giving up 40 to Kansas. Which is worse in their eyes? ;);)
https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article222156455.html

Big if on beating Texas, but if we win and if Ohio State wins, we will have beaten a higher ranked team in our CCG.

ADVERTISEMENT